Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jkperformance

jkperformance

There was a guy who worked with Bill Roell in Covington KY (just over the bridge to cincy) I only heard his name a Dauber. He was one of the very best at Race Car lettering and art work. I am sure he was involved with alot of the cars but not sure about the DJ cars.

2. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thats always been a good article. It shows the no frills common sense ways to make a Mopar run and why they are such a great race car.

3. That's it. I knew it wouldn't take long to come up with it either.

Dauber , or The Dauber. Not his real name, but maybe his "brush" name.

4. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Thank you for your post. I was not aware that Jerry Harvey took Jenkins out in eliminations. I'm hoping to locate a National Dragster to see if it has anything in it. I also checked photographer Les Welch's web site. He has a number of proofs from the 69 WNats posted, including SS/D class. There is one SS/D Thunderbolt in the background, but it is of #815 Jim Demmitt's car.

That 285 hp camshaft is very elusive. I have never been able to find any dosumentation on that cam. However, I am sure someone knows the answer.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

and... the original Mopar big block wagon... from Indy 1964.

6. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I just looked in my old old NHRA engine spec. book and its not listed. Just the 300 HP Supercharged version.
    Sorry.

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I worked at a Baltimore (MD) Ford dealer (right out of high school) during the last half of 1957. We were 'blown' away by the *first 300/312 we received and most of the guys really wanted to 'road test' it (*a 2-dr H/T, with 'three on the tree'). 'Lucky me' got to 'predeliver' it after the 'undercoat man' made a few 'passes' with it on the street right in front of the showroom. Alas, after that spectacle, I was cautioned not to take it on the street after I was done with the predelivery service. I still 'snuck in' a brief first-gear only pass in the alley behind the shop ... memorable experience indeed!

As to the (2) 4-B version, I remember installing an owner-supplied (S-W) electric fuel pump in the trunk on one during a '1000 Mile Inspection,' but I recall the car being rated at 270 HP.

And for 'what its worth' .... see -->

" ..and a supercharged 312 CID (5.1 L) Thunderbird Special making 300 hp, and designated "Police Interceptor" on the glove box. A dual 4 barrel version of the normally aspirated (non-supercharged) 312 cubic inch V8 rated at 270 HP (some sources report 285 HP) was reportedly available, although that engine option was not listed in most Ford sedan factory literature and is more commonly associated with one of the optional Thunderbird engines. This option was dubbed "E code" and featured a unique camshaft, cylinder heads, intake manifold and various other performance enhancements.. "

... from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_Ford

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  8. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Colsey dude -
    YOU gotta have every Drag Race oriented publication ever printed still in your basement or attic :)

Thank you for all of your efforts in sharing everything with us... It's been awesome!!

Larry

9. Hey! I get at least half-credit for my answer near the bottom of the last page!:eek: LOL!:D

I remember seeing several of the more upscale cars at Indy and other places over the years with this paint work on them. Usually, somewhere on the back, there was a hand painted logo of a shield with a ribbon and paint gun over it that said "Paint by Bill Roell". Then just below that it said "Letters and Stripes" and there would be a painted silhouette of a striping brush with "Dauber Did It" lettered on it.

And then, as the finishing touch, there would be the teeniest tiniest lettering you ever saw quoting a verse from a song or some poem. Something very cerebral like the Doors or the Moody Blues or something like that. It was maybe like 1/16" tall and had to have been done with like a three-hair lettering brush. :eek:

10. spiertb

spiertb

The Dauber did the lettering in the Rod Shop '67 A/S Fairlane I bought from Tom Schumacher in late '69. It had the striping brush and "Dauber" on the roof sail panel. Syl

11. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Some of the great East coast "sword" masters, Mr J. (Julius something) Glen from the Flanders, NJ area, Jim the Painter from the Philly area and The Professor (Dave Rush). Seem to also remember someone named Bob Engles or Ingles. Anyone else remember him?

12. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

In 1957 model year Ford offered both a 270 and 285 hp dual quad 312 engine for the passenger car and T-Bird. My understanding is the only difference between the two were the 285 had a special camshaft and dual valve springs. I've attached a scan from a sales brochure dated 10/56, and excerpts from an internal sales letter from Dec 1956. From this letter it appears the 285 hp engine was somewhat short lived, about four months, as the 300 hp supercharged engine replaced it. The 285 hp engine is also listed in the General Information section of the 1949 - 1959 Ford Parts Catalog, but unfortunately it does not detail the camshaft and valve springs.

Sources that I knew from Ford indicated the 285 hp camshaft was a Don Sullivan design and that the engine was "kitted". That is, you ordered a production 270 hp engine and
    installed the cam and kit to make it a 285 version.

This is the same thing with the Supercharged engine. The production engine with the standard 256 deg .420" lift camshaft was 300 hp. Ford offered a Domestic Special Order (DSO) high lift camshaft, actually two, the first was 290 deg /446" and the later was 302 deg / .454". The rating on the DSO engine was never advertised, but it was believed to be around 340 horsepower.

What I am trying to find out is if anyone knows the grind specs on the 285 hp cam, or knows of a camshaft or engine still in existence.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  13. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Thank you for posting!

Regards,
    Dennis

14. Our57

Our57

Yes,those guys are still at it. I grew up racing at Edgewater Dragway here in Cincinnati and those two are legendary in this area. Seen a lot of cars over the years with their names on them. They have recently repainted and relettered some old race cars that have been restored, ones that they originally painted years ago like the Ruby Tuesday Anglia. There was also a guy up in Dayton known as the Egyptian that was pretty tough with a brush.

restored

15. copo69

copo69
    from WV

What was the last year for the 7" maximum tire width in stock? Also, what was last year for tires to have tread i.e. "cheater slicks"? With the 7" tires was rim size most commonly 14" or 15"? What was the last year stock required an exhaust system to be present?

16. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Seven inch tires were around until the demise of the "original" Stock Eliminator at the end of the 1971 season. All the 7" tires I used or saw in those days had the obligatory grooves around the circumference that passed for "tread" so I don't think that rule was ever removed. I never say "never" so there may have been some 14" sizes but no one that I knew used them. I don't remember the date of the elimination of the exhaust system but it was at least a couple of years before the end of Stock.

c

17. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

I have an old Firestone Drag 500 cheater slick in the barn, it is 7" wide, mounted on a chromed Ford 14" wheel. Two grooves. Was on a '63 Galaxie R code roller I bought.

18. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

In 66, I ran 7 wide 14 inch Casler recaps on my P/S 59 Chevy Biscayne 283/185 4 speed with no exhaust if that narrows things down for anyone

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

thanks for posting all that colsey! :)
    boertman's '69 biscayne is one of my favorites of the 'new' jr stockers. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  20. biscaynes

biscaynes

have these been posted....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Terrific pictures from Maple Grove. Not a lot of stockers but definitely worth a look. Web site is listed on the pictures.:)

Attached Files:

22. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Which of these two Sun Retro Tachs would consider appropriate for a late '60 to mid '70's build

Sun says the FZ88R (on the left) is "Legendary '60's styling"

and SST802R (on the right) "was born in the '70's"

Your Opinions Please.

Larry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  23. BadNews

BadNews

I remember the one on the left in the early to mid-60's and the one on
    the right in the late 60's to mid-seventies. If I remember correctly, The
    one I had in my last two cars (70's design) was so inaccurate. It used to jump around alot. I was thrilled when I switched to Autometer's tach.
    They do have the "look" down, though. I hope they have improved their quality. Back then it was "the one to run".

24. We used the one on the right for the "In-Bomber". As stated, I figured the one on the left was more of a late 50's/early 60's style, and the other was more late 60's. Not strictly "70's" as they promote it to be.
    -Dean

25. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I had the one on the right (SST802R) on my 1965 426 Plymouth street wedge and that was in 1965 ! :cool:

26. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

I just found an article in the May '68 Car Craft "Tach Buyers Guide" (colsey, maybe you could show these pages here)...

It gives a pretty good run down on what was available then, and just as I had remembered, the Tach style on the left was made by DIXCO (not Sun).

Quote BadNews - "If I remember correctly, The one I had in my last two cars (70's design) was so inaccurate. It used to jump around alot."

I had one also, and it was terrible the way the needle used to move around.

Larry

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  27. lawman

lawman

I have used both of them and like them both.They look good on
    whatever year you go for.IMO.Tom (Tired Old Man)

28. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I raced my car a lot at Aquasco and Capitol and my tach worked smoothly and was accurate. Is it possable that your wiring leaved something to be desired?
    Usually when the needle jumps around it is a ground problem.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  29. ganga

ganga

The one on the left is early- mid sixties. The one on the right was late sixties.