Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. My apologies if this was already posted but I think I found a picture of Sam Shinabery's Olds that I'd downloaded some time ago and didn't realize what exactly what was in the picture. It"s a bit small and fuzzy but you can easily make out Sam Stockwell's wagon in the near lane. But over in the far lane near the fence, in the upper right hand corner next to the Studebaker, I believe is Shinabery's Marble Muncher IV Olsdsmobile. Always thought Marble Muncher was a great, tough sounding name for a race car.:D

JStock001.jpg

2. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Studebaker,
    The biggest change for Stock classes was 1968, with the new weight break classifications, starting with A/Stock = 8.00-8.49 wt/hp
    Also, the last year 1963 cars could run in Super Stock
    (ie; in 1967, the 1962 cars could run in Super Stock)

Now, I hear a book will be out (not sure when) about that era of drag racing.
    Which will include, how the car manufacturer heads were not all that crazy about what happened in Stock class at the 68' NHRA Winternationals.
    Just take a look who was winning the manual classes from G/S and on down.
    pc

3. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I can't recall seeing this photo but sorry if it's been posted before.

[​IMG]

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I'll leave it to the experts to identify this one.

[​IMG]

5. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Don't have a photo, but I had a dream about having both of them in the back seat of a 442!

6. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Bob,
    It is one in the same. Barry worked with me at Central Cenvrolet in Atlanta in 1973 and I ended up working for him at a local Ford dealer where he was Sales Mgr. He eventually bought Cetury Dodge i Macon Georgia and also bought my friend, Jim Kinnett's SS/AA '68 Cuda and had a ball with it. It was as fast as any anywhere at one time...He also built (or had built) a '76 Dart 360 for stock class, but was discouraged when we went to Commerce, Ga. that year and I beat him with my D/S 1969 383 'Cuda! LOL! Fun days! Seems like he had an SS/DA or SS/EA hemi car then, too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

TM,
    In the back seat of a 69' 4-4-2.
    Or a '69' in the back seat of a 4-4-2.
    pc

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Thanks for the info. Saw a picture of Hutter's stocker on Woodro Josey's Facebook page. I don't recall ever seeing it at any of the Div 2 points meets though.
    Bob Rice

9. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Your are CORRECT -- This car was a "warmed over" 68. It was used for demo only, and never competitively raced. If you ever see a rear view shot, it still has 68 tail lights too.

10. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Bagwell's car would run 9.80's then, but he spun the tires, even with the wheels up!! That was the old Butch Leal California Flash car converted from SS/B to SS/BA with help ferom Terry Earwood ('73 Nat' SS champ) and the Atlanta's Barnett Brothers.

11. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I was in California my last 1 1/2 yrs in the Marines after Viet Nam. Used to watch Neja-Dissette run brackets with their '57 wagon and they almost always used a four speed, easier on parts and allowed them to get enough faster to get into the 13.99 bracket 4 at OCIR!! It paid better!!

12. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

R/O Hemi,
    Post #7561
    9/10/67 at St. Thomas Dragway, Ontario
    Check out who won SS/BA with a 12.01 @ 118.42
    Joseph Arvay out of Michigan.
    That was the 67' R/O Hemi white Plymouth Belvedere II 'The Pacifier'.
    The Centolanza Brothers bought that car in 1968.
    Eventually won the 1971 Super/Stock Magazine Nationals SS/DA.

pc

13. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

14. lawman

lawman

My Buddies and I in Louisville had a 1962 Chevy SS/W in 1972 and could never run on Jack Mullins 52 Olds ET.Boy was our car a"Money PiT" or what !!!! LOl
    Tom (Tired Old Man)

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Wagonmaster,
    That Steve Bagwell car. Is that the 65' car that Butch won S/S at the 1965 Indy Nationals.
    pc

16. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

That was a "new" 65 that Butch had Ron Butler build for him. (or so I read)

17. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Take a look --- Who else but Hillbilly Duncan could get a Lincoln-Mercury dealer to sponsor a Dodge race car? Check the lettering on the rear quarter? LOL:)

18. biscaynes

biscaynes

there was another chry product sponsored by a chev dealer too, or vise a versa.....

a barracuda???

19. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Paul,
    WHen NHRA was being hard on the Chrysler Hemi guys Leal had this car (might have been Butler built) for SS/B and did well with it. I always thought it was the '65 winning car. It had evedence of some acid dipping on the main body, so....It was definately the Leal car, but I can't say if it was the "old" car or not. With the dipping, I'd say probably not. It was seriously fast with Barnett power though..I saw it run over 140 MANY times in time trials...Puching a LOT of wind for a "B" body!!

20. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Its not the same car he ran in S/S in 65. It was as the other post said a Butler built piece.

21. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I don't think many folks went acid dipping in '65, so I'd guess that's correct.

22. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

What ever happened to Butch's car that won S/S in Indy 65'.
    Wasn't that car from Dabb's Motor Co. out of Tennessee first, then Butch got it
    3 weeks before the 65' Indy Nations.

23. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

All of the AWB Dodges and Plymouths were acid dipped. Some more than others. Its one reason not many remain today. Sox's hardtop car (Paper Tiger) just rotted away so bad that the owner removed the running gear, rear end, and stainless "K" member then had the rest crushed and junked. Stricklers 65 AWB Dodge is a "RE-Bodied" car. Who knows how many S/S cars were treated this way? The "Golden Cammandos" 1965 273/235 HP Barracuda had acid dipped fenders, hood, and doors on it :eek: and that was a stocker.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  24. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

X-Tech,
    Some Mystery Dipping???
    Yes or No
    Bill Flynn's "Yankee Peddler" AWB Sedan-post car
    Dave Kempton's 62' Sport Fury, C/SA in 1966.

25. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

One thing about that picture amazes me. The '62 Chevy is running skirts (and a gas door guard) AND slicks. Now, he had to remove the skirts to put on the slicks, but why put them back on???? Conclusion.........he drives it around on the street that way all the time!!!:eek:
    Neat photo!;)

Verne

26. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

With your plethora of knowledge I would of thought you could find this.

http://www.afxcars.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  27. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Bobby Warren is reported to have used the North Carolina method of acid dipping. He would strip the paint, coat the panels with a salt solution and let them sit outside all winter to rust.

I remember Little George telling me that, when he disassembled the engine from Bobby's World Championship Nova, he found pits in the rod and main journals. He called Bobby for an explanation and was told not to worry about them. "Good for oil retention" Bobby said.

28. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Gary,
    Ouch,,,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they only list minimal detailed documentation.
    Like, Butch bought the car from Ashley Dobbs Chrysler-Plymouth Motor Co., out of Clarksville, Tennessee.

pc

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  29. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Niche',
    They don't list this, but that 65' car was purchased from Ashley Dobbs Chrysler-Plymouth in August 1965, 3 weeks before the Indy Nationals.
    At that time, Butch Leal and Sox & Martin were campaigning together in the northeast, running Match-Race events against each other.
    The Super/Stock Magazine Nationals at York were on 8/7/65. The car was purchased at about that time.
    The listed history says, that it went to the Sox & Martin shop for painting and prepping.
    Also, Butch Leal's back-up engine for his 2% (2700lb.) car went into the car.
    Ran the low E.T for S/S Stick @ 11.56.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  30. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

As far as I know the Yankee Peddler was a converted S/S car that was never acid dipped. The 2 door sedan was stronger also. One reason it was restored and is in like new condidtion today. Dont know about Dave Kemptons car so who knows for sure BUT I have heard a few years ago that the original 420 HP 413 SS/S 2 door sedan savoys (Plymouth only...no Dodges) cars were stamped out of thinner gauge steel :eek: (roof and quartes, and floors, along with fenders, hoods and doors) than the 410 HP versions and all of the regular Mopars. Some REAL (not cloned) 420 HP originals I have seen are about 150 to 200 lbs lighter than the 410 HP or 383 cars and they seem to be thinner when you push on them gently with your thumb. . Its the same way the factory did the 65 Dodge and Plymouth S/S Hemi fenders, hoods, doors and trunk lids.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010