Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Alaskam5

Alaskam5
    from Alaska

Pretty sure Tom Pauser drove the 67 out of Ralph Truppi's shop. Corbo's Sunoco had a 69? Vette (Green in color). It was driven by a blonde headed guy who I can see picture clear in my mind, but can not remember his name.

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

There you go, "straightaxle65." The guidance can't get any tighter than that. With Travis Miller and Terry Bell contributing to this board and looking over your shoulder you won't get away with anything! Put those two guys on one side of your shop and a couple of experienced racers on the other and it could get intense.

Hey, Travis, I think you know that I would prefer the old days as well, but, we have to play the hand we're dealt these days.

You've been putting up some nice pictures! Since when did you have time to snap a shutter? Every time I turn around, you're checking out someone's car but I've never seen a camera in your hand.

c

3. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Ok, guys people have said what they think is apropiate vocabulary for this thread and people have apoligized for their wording, lets get back to this GREAT JR. STOCK thread(no more jabs) THANX!!!

4. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

I put my "cheaters" on and for all the world it looks like the car has SS/FA on the picture with the flat hood(on the roof pillar) and SS/EA with the scoop. I remember them with this car in between the wagon and the Super Stock project car. As for the blonde guy driving Corbo's car, I remember him too, but after Tom had driven it. His first name was Andy and I think his last name began with an Spa....... Like Spaglianni or ?

5. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here we go Chuck. You and a few others should recognize these tech guys. Hope they bring back good memories from the past. By the way, I did not take all the photos I post but I do know where to find some good ones.

Bill "Farmer" Dismuke at the scales
    [​IMG]

Marty Barratt teching a '57 Chevy in the early '60's
    [​IMG]

Dave Danish at Bowling Green in 1973
    [​IMG]

Wesley Roberson in teardown at Sportsnationals late 70's
    [​IMG]

And finally me in teardown at Indy 2008 checking an intake manifold
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Make that Andy Spazianni or something like that.

7. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Northstar Dragways - Minneapolis[​IMG]

Clyde Birch[​IMG]

Robert Classen likes this.
  8. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

9. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

10. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Farmer and Barratt were the BEST. :D

11. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Eraser? If thats Northstar Dragway then is that I-35 in the background? I remember driving by a strip along I-35 a couple times in the mid 70s and thought it was Northstar.

12. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Eraser, Did you ever run that car at Thunder Valley in South Dakota back in the day?

And yes, That car is Fantastic!!

13. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That looks like Donnie Beeler on the other side of that manifold, Travis. There's a really good guy who would have some outstanding stories to share!

You showed all those tech guys when they were obviously right out of high school! (Except yourself, of course).

Farmer ran a tight ship. Politics and economics have certainly played a role in the "evolution" of his system and sadly, most of his crew has moved on. Some evolving things make sense but a good many more have removed a nostalgic sense of structure from the mix. Perhaps it should be a requirement that every car torn down be accompanied by at least one person, preferably the driver) who can accurately check camshaft duration and overlap using the time-honored method of marking masking tape with a Sharpie and then stretching it out on the fender and measuring with a tape measure? It would be required that the "expert" come up with the same reading three times in a row.

c

14. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

We bought our '68 Chevy II from Andy Spazianni.......He was associated with T/K's and raced it in SS with a 396 if I recall right....

Marty Barrat had a funny way with words........We were in the teardown barn at Indy in 1966 and he said......." I hate to tell you boys but Shame on you, cause you got the wrong camshaft". It was a direct replacement from a Chevy dealer......but they had superceded it and NHRA did not recognize or accept the new one as being legal yet.....

I never forgot how he broke the news to us....

He then proceeded to get in a pretty serious disagreement with Greg X. about what carbs were legal on a '57 283-220.....

I packed up our stuff and got out of there. One plus about running a sedan delivery.....lots of room for stuff in the back.....LOL

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  15. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Tom Pauser's 'vette was a dark blue/grey color. He was a very good driver. One of the better guys out of T/K's stable.....

16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here's a Marty Barratt story that I witnessed first hand at one of the early Sportsnationals at Bowling Green...

Marty was checking valve springs in teardown. A racer's valve spring was reading too much on open pressure. Marty told him he was DQ'd. The racer, in a real cocky voice, told Marty that the spring shims needed to have the oil wiped off for the spring to read correctly. Marty looked at the guy and told him, "Okay we'll wipe off the shims but when the car goes down the track, it doesn't get to have any oil in the engine." The racer just picked up his cylinder head and walked away.

JUNIOR STOCK NOTE: In the old days everyone had to run stock valve springs. After a few hard runs new springs would lose some of their spring pressure. The trick was to shim the springs up so they would have more pressure than the spec allowed knowing they would weaken. The gamble was you would get enough runs so the pressure would be correct when you won class and went to teardown. Shame on you if you did not get enough runs.

17. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Yes and later it was lined along 35 with pine trees

18. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Thanks

19. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Yes, several times. I'm sure someone has pictures of it. I can remember coming home from a Div 5 points meet at TVD loaded with illegal in Wisconsin but, legal in SD fireworks.

20. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

This is from 1976

Attached Files:

21. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

This car set the C/SA National record there in 1977.

Attached Files:

22. markus A

markus A

Maybe I'm just making it up but the name Bob Poole or something like that is the guy who drove for Joe Corbo...I recall a young fella with blond hair...he also drove the A/S 66 El Camino that I believe an old friend of mine still owns.

23. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thats cool! Glad to hear the points meet ended with a BANG!:D

South Dakota; One of the last Great Bastions of Freedom.

24. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

Mr. Beibel (aka The Generator Man) is correct about the color being a blue-gray, sort of a slate color.
    I don't think that was a stock color for 1967.
    The car was a definitely a 1967. Need proof?? There was a nice article on Tom's car in the Setember 1969 issue of Super Stock and Drag Illustrated, on page 48, by Ro McGonegal.

There is a visual of this car in the UTube video titled: Old Drag Racing Part II www.Moroso.com. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WoF_Hfvhes&feature=related Look around the 2 minute 40 second mark. A tad grainy.
    It was definitely one bad ride.

Watusi 2

25. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Marty Barratt stories. When I was running a dual quad '56 T-Bird, Marty came to me with the story that someone had complained because I didn't have the spare tire on my car. I asked what was wrong with that, spare tires aren't required to be in the trunk of all the other cars. He told me it needed to be there because it was in the airstream. I could run the metal cover only, but something had to be there. I told him the metal cover needed a tire inside it to stay on. He asked if I had a tire/wheel I could bolt on for the day. I put the spare from my tow car on it, and picked up a couple tenths. He couldn't come right out and help me, but in a round about way he did.

When I was building my blown '57 Ford and rounding up parts, Marty, knowing how hard the correct heads were to find, told me "NO casting number is better than the wrong casting number". I did have heads with the correct casting number.

Going through tech at the '71 Nationals, I drew Marty. He opened the driver's door, said "I'm tired", and sat down in the car. His helper teched the car while Marty told him how my grandmother bought the car new, only drove it to church and the grocery store, etc, etc. Really laid it on thick. He never looked at the car there, though he had seen it before. The assistant found a twist-in spring spacer in the left front spring, made me take it out. Marty always called me "Supercharger Johnny". I miss him.

26. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I agree!

:cool:

27. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Colesy,

Front center of the photo is Al Olster's car. Jackee Allen sent out the word yesterday that Al is hospitalized with heart problems and may be in renal failure. Prayers have been asked on his behalf.

28. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Back in 1970, Charlie Hampp Sr. and I took the Witchcraft to Suffolk for the points meet. We set the MPH record ( I think there were something like 16 set that day) and had to wait late into the night at tear down. It must have been around 11:00 PM and Buster came into the garage holding a bottle of his favorite elixir, Wild Turkey I think, and had a slur to his speech.

Charlie and I were standing in front of the car and next Randy Smith and his girlfriend. Buster walked over, extended the bottle to Charlie and I and offered a drink. When we declined, he said "Anybody that won't drink with me sucks dicks." He turned around and saw Randy's girlfriend and the "Southern gentleman" kicked in at which time he offered his apology for the offensive language.

I always liked Buster, but was surprised that a NHRA official would represent the organization in that way. Surely they knew about his habits.

29. rockguy92

rockguy92

Hey KY-ian,
    Did you ever make it to Harrison County Drag Strip in Southern Indiana? If you did, do you have any pics from there? I would love to see some. I went almost every weekend in the early 70's.
    The Rock

30. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

My first time attending Harrison Co. was 1966. I took some photos back in the day and was also a friend of the track photographer, Fred Williar. He gave me some photos years ago before he passed away. Since this is an official Junior Stock thread, I'll try to post some photos of class cars from back then. Just gotta look 'em up.