Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

They ran the wagon in SS/NA till 79 I think. Didn't the Stormalong Camaro run SS/IA ? I'm sure that's what it ran in 1974. I think it was 1980 when they moved to a new Olds Cutlas.

Bob

2. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

The "Snow" pic was in National Dragster , at least that's where I saw it. Opening day at Cayuga that year.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Attached Files:

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

With some info I gathered on the Pontiac performance years site, this car has already been pictured in this thread in a later form . You can still see the simularity in the paintjob on the hood. Fred Borcherdt sold the car to Jerry Stealy and was renamed Nemesis. It held the e/s national record with the last a 11.93. The car was totalled when a car crossed the centerline and hit the wheels and fenders of the trailer it was on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

In talking to Jerry Stealy recently,parts of this car have been found in a local junk yard. I think it was the hood,or some other body panel.He has very few pictures of the car ,so he appreciates it when some pop up.

6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here's a couple Camaros that Woodro Josey raced back in the early days...

1967 Z/28
    [​IMG]

1968 Z/28
    [​IMG]

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW, look at the pants, and the sun glasses on the chic. Now I think I know why they dropped Junior Stock. Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

But who doesn't miss the mini skirt?

9. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Jan Gabriel the "SUNDAY!!SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!! "drag strip ad guy has passed away.According to his obit in the Chicago Tribune today,he was the guy behind the ads for many Drag strips in the Midwest.He also was the producer for the Super Chargers TV show,and helped popularize monster truck racing.He was 69.

10. Goldy

Goldy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. Goldy

Goldy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

12. Hey!!! Come on now. I still have some of those pants!!...

Dom

13. I was just thinking and wondered if anyone has found Carmine Rotunda as yet?
    I think it was Jackee that asked the question about 8 months ago.
    For those of you that are non -Italian it is Carmine {male} not Carmen {female}.

Dom

14. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Can you post the article ???????

15. YORK NOSTALGIA MEET

We are in short supply of "Junior Stockers" for the meet { 6 so far}. Are there any other members that are bringing or thinking of bringing a car? Please contact me.

Dom

16. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Found this today....along w/ a business card from Bobby Allison.???

Attached Files:

17. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Just saw this today posted by George Nye.

[​IMG]

18. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Man - do i sure remember --SUNDAY - SUNDAY-SUNDAY - at beautiful THOMPSON DRAG RACEWAY!! Will never forget that "call" that went out over the air waves on 1000 watt radio am WGAR - cleveland! How could anybody stay away after hearing that famous call - SUNDAY -SUNDAY-SUNDAY!!!!! yeah- hardly anyone had or even listened to FM on those days --- remember -- most FM stations played classical music or "talk" programming!! Can you say, "Cousin Brucie'? Dick Biondi? Big Wilson? They all beamed it up from those grand 1000 watt radio stations in the major markets - New York, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland - Bring back those mini skirts and hot pants - and dont forget those boots!! ( were they really "made for walkin" ??)

19. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

and the DETROIT DRAGWAY commercials from the same era. Broadcast from CKLW...Sibley at Dix....lol...CB

20. Steve,
    Please ad Vinnie Mayer to the list of junior stock drivers. He drove George Supinskis's chevy sedan delivery car at times and was partners with John Mason with the " Tomahawker" Pontiac.

Thanks
    Dom

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  21. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

My memory might not be correct but I thought the Rotunda Bros. Corvette was originally the Musser Bros car. ............Then it was owned by a gent named Tony Festa and I think he ran it in H/S in 1970......It's getting tough to recall the details anymore from so long ago......I cannot recall Carmine Rotundas brothers name. Maybe it was Dominick? He was always smiling and good natured.... Their cars were always nice and ran very well........Rotunda's Speed Shop was a popular place and it was in Belleville, NJ if my memory serves me correct.........

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  22. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

is this pic from Thompson, Ohio ???...CB

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

And I found this while looking through my photos from Indy 1970.

[​IMG]

24. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Something here looks familiar. Indy 1971

[​IMG]

25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This was taken at Maple Grove in July, 1973.

[​IMG]

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

All done Dom ... see --> 4681

By way, Re:--> "SUNDAY!!SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!!" ... "and the DETROIT DRAGWAY commercials from the same era," National Public Radio's 'All Things Considered' offers a great CD from their (you gotta luv this title!) "Lost and Found Sound" series .. http://www.npr.org/programs/lnfsound/ that features a recording of the DETROIT DRAGWAY commercials. I 'had it,' but loaned it to a friend ... you know how that goes! It was great, but what still brings a smile just recalling it is ... Saturday ... Saturday -- Saturday night! Under the lights ... at York US 30 Dragway!

27. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

COLESY post #5270 . could that other CHEV.wagon have been JACK WORRELL"S at Performance Unlimited ? in Phila. thanks JAKE

28. Dom-which junior stockers are on the list to attend so far?

-Dean

29. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

this pic IS from Thompson....guess you gotta include the pic when responding to a thread here...give me a year or 2...I'll figger it out...CB

Attached Files:

30. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi everyone, Just a little update on the "Anderson Olds" '69 W31 F/S---A "new" drivetrain is in the works so I can have some REAL fun at the nostalgia races. The original parts will be shelved and a dated and correct numbers motor, 4-speed, and 4:33 rear will be in place (and hopefully sorted) for the York U.S. 30 Reunion. Until next time.....Dave.