Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TO ALL: RE York Nostalgia Show
    As of today we have 6 junior Stockers entered for the York show in July.
    If you are thinking of entering now is the time. If you wait until April/May we may have already filled the approx. 135 car quota with other vehicles and be unable to accomodate you.

Dom

2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

There certainly have been a lot of very-special people visit our humble little thread. And more folks are showing up every day. If YOU were an NHRA Junior Stock racer during 1962-1972 AND have actually posted on this thread, let us know and I'll add your name to this 'Driver's Visitor' List below.

Skip Asay, Bob Bayles, Keith Berg, Lou Cuviello, John Dianna, John Feistritzer, Gary Glover, Vic Guilmino, Ken Gunning, Bill Izykowski, Tony Janes, Ed Mc Glawhorn, Tim Neja, John Mason, Chuck Norton, Dominick Rinaldi, Jere Stahl, Ann Toews, Tweed Vorhees, Robert Wilson, Mark Yacavone

... I'm sure I've missed a few racers who have visited our thread!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  3. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Here are a cou;le names. Bob Bayles (K/SA) and John Feistritzer (Hoosier Hurricane). Really enjoy this site.

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks, me bad ... I completely forgot the supercharged contingent! and (oopps!) one legendary (Div 7) 1955 Chevrolet racer ... Names added!

Read more about those 'fearsome' Supercharged ... '1957 Fords here ---> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4352197&postcount=4227 here ---> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1957-1959-ford-fairlane-skyliner3.htm and here ---> http://www.paxtonauto.com/article.php?id=3

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

answer to P-426 .pg. #146--post# 2901.the 57 chev. wagon , was owned by Teddy Schaum. he had an auto body shop in Croydon PA. just north of PHILA. he also ran a early OLDS . MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL> thanks JAKE

6. Both sides done...

-Dean

Attached Files:

7. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Tony - about Jim Parsons and his famous A/SR and B/SR cars? I remember him having to cars "alike" - only visible difference was an "A" on the grille shell on one and a "B" on the grille shell of the other. Could that "B" car be the car that Dickson ended up with? (in your pic -- It sure looks like it?? Yea, Jackson's Scratcher was there too - every week at good old Dragway 42 -- along with Mary Ann Foss and her trusty 58 pontiac - You know her - eh? aka late Mary Ann "jackson" (married Bill Scratcher) and then ran her SS/AA Hemi car --- those were the days my friend.....
    Tweed

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

tony -
    even looking close at the pic you can see the "hemi" name on the side of the Dickson car!
    T.

9. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Anyone have any photos of the old U.S. Male car? (not the funny car)???:)

10. colesy

colesy

The original Pro Stock Tour!!!!
    From 1968 and written by George F. Parrott for the January 69 issue of Super Stock & DI here's a great article with loads of Junior Stock celebrities. Maybe some of them could comment on the series?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  11. colesy

colesy

NED Pro Stock Tour continued.........

Attached Files:

12. colesy

colesy

Ned Pro Stock Tour continued.........

Attached Files:

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

thanks colesy, love those shots of the 'semi hemi' '66 biscayne.

14. colesy

colesy

Attached Files:

15. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Wow, there were no slouches in that event! I swear i was born at the wrong time.....would loved to have seen so many of the races that happened then.... And heres wishing everyone a happy ,healthy holiday season...Merry Christmas!! and thank you all so much for sharing.

16. colesy

colesy

And a Big Merry Christmas to you Roger and everybody here at the Junior Stock thread. All the best in 2010 as well;
    .......Colesy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  17. Stick Driver

Stick Driver

Sorry I even questioned this- I should have but did not blow the picture up. It merly reminded me of the Nash and Yodock wheelstand and the car looked similar.
    The old adage: you turn them upside down and they all look the same.

18. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

I started drag racing a 1955 chevrolet in H/S at Dover drag strip in Dover Plains NY in 1962. I raced a1958 chev brookwood wagon 250 HP 283 CI fuel injection from 1965 to 1967 at island dragway in New Jersey. raced a 1968 camaro Z 28 from 1967 to 1970 started in D/S. In 1971 my brother and i built a 1966 chev wagon 220 HP 283 CI for R/S with a Truppi King motor. we set the mph NHRA national record 96.05 at sanair int'l drag strip may 22 1971.

d/
    fI

19. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Good to have you join our group Robert, I'll add you to our driver's list on the next update.

Posting some of your memories and images will help our thread get off to a great *start for 2010.

*I couldn't find a decent image of a 'Christmas tree,' so this will just have to do! ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  20. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Tom--a.k.a. CC Voice-- Do you have any pics from you announcing days at Cecil? I own the Anderson Olds W31 that ran there frequently. Sonny Freeman drove that car and a '60 Chevy that he owned. I am preparing a newer drivetrain for the W31 and plan to once again run at Cecil County. I ran A LOT of brackets there in the 80's and 90's. Kenny was announcing then and I think he is still there. Thanks, Dave

21. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

i have some pictures but i need to learn how to post them. i used to race many racers who i have seen on this thread. at island dragway when you won class you could run one of four stock eliminator classes my 58 chev F.I. in H/S was in eliminator no 3 . john hoffman he ran a G/SA 62 chevrolet john would almost always beat me in the final because his car would run closer to the nhra record. one time i did get the win over john because i cut a great light and he did not.
    this may be of topic but i am running a 65 chevrolet impala in the nmca nostalgia muscle car class still having fun.
    the flagman brings back memories

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Robert, if you 'private message' just about any of us who post images, we'd be glad to help. Also see (cut 'n pasted from The HAMB's excellent FAQ page) --->

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1>How do I attach a file to a post?
    To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
    On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
    To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
    Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
    In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?
    If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
    To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [​IMG] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

23. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

Dave, sorry I don't have any photos but lots of great memories. The fellow to talk to is Cecil Counties track photographer (then) Fred Von Sholly. Without a doubt his were the best quality due to his very expensive equipment and deep interest in capturing action. He is now living in Las Vegas. He also took many 8mm films as did George Cureton. I know George gave his films to Bill Amos of Bee on video fame. Bill has published one Cecil film "run whatcha brung" and is considering another concentrating on Jr stockers. I am verry glad you are rehabilitating the car, it is anothert part our our legacy. Thanks, and happy holidays to all! Tom

24. Dean
    The "In Bomber" is looking good I am looking forward to seeing it at the show and meeting you.
    Dom

25. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

CC Voice.............. I would VERY much like to hear your recollections regarding THIS CAR regarding rumors that he was "given" "Certain" advantages at Cecil Co. Advantages concerning the tree and/or tech inspection or tear-downs.....
    Who paid for the track's billboard on his door???? Historical minds want to know......

[​IMG]

Did he leave B/S (where he had the most competition) and somehow factor down to C for a reason? He was a hard runner but he wasn't the quickest "real" B/Stocker. It seems that he had a little "help" from the timing tower at that special B/S meet. I'd love to hear the facts. 44 years later, the real history should be told.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  26. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

WGuy, 44 years ago I was enjoying a well deserved vaction in the south pacific (VN)thanks to LBJ. 45 -46 years ago I enjoyed similar vaction at Ft Bragg. It was enjoyable only because I brought my 270 4 speed, 57 chevy convt with me and spent friday and sat afternoons at the local tracks. As far as Rumors go, "that" is a great album by Fleetwood Mac. The tree was set by National records by young ladies that did not know the difference from Al Lewis and Ronny Sox. They were busy keeping up with setting then recording then resetting the clocks. Al Procopio was almost always in the tower during eliminations over seeing the operations. The starter switched the tree to count down the lights. That was it back then. I believe that some were looked upon as early leavers because they anticipated the lights rather than waiting for them. Remember this was long before reaction times were recorded and bulbs that took longer to be seen than those used today. Tech inspections concentrated on safety and checking the numeric data that NHRA supplied. Peer presure was very strong at Cecil because all classes in the stock eliminator had a stake in "unfair advantages" and they did not hesitate to bring "possible infractions" to our attention. Tear downs resulted. It did not take a mathematician to check speeds against ET's to see who was sandbagging and to what extent. Believe me, every guy running in the eliminator watched who was running what! Think about Cecil officials, what did we care who won, when the eliminator was so full of record holders national and world champions? Cecil was also a NOT a non-profit organization. Getting money from Sonny was harder that getting information from Jenkins. Good luck with that rumor. Al Lewis ran A/S when I was at Cecil, the photo you used was earlier and not taken at Cecil County. Thanks, Tom

27. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks Tom:) I know several 409 racers ran both the 2x4 set-up (409hp=A/S) and the single 4bbl (380hp=B/S). The rest of the motor was exactly the same. I wonder what Al could have done to factor down to C/S? Maybe NHRA changed the weight breaks by the time that photo was taken? Earlier shots of his car just show his name on the quarter in shoe polish.
    Verne:)

28. John356

John356

If the photo of Al Lewis's car was taken in 1968 or 69 it would be a C/S with a 409/409. I ran a 1962 Impala 409/409 at Pacemaker and Hyde Park in Ohio in 68/9, it fell in close to the top in C stock.

29. qwiked

qwiked

The Pruitt-Heinson-Reid SS/X 1963 Ford Custom 300 260/2v from Yakima, WA was probably the fastest X car back in the "day" --No leak, 100 lbs heavy-

30. jangleguy

jangleguy

What a great thread! I've been lurking on it, but not posting, as I wasn't part of that scene back then. But tonight I'm overcome with gratitude for hearing these stories direct from those who WERE there, in the thick of the action. Thanks guys.