Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. colesy

colesy

JUNIOR STOCK UPDATE..............
    From Car Craft magazine July 1970. Just in case anyone was wondering what became of Joe Allread's 57 project car.

Here we try to keep you informed of all the latest news even if it is
    40 years old!!! :D

Attached Files:

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome, Bill.

Pete

4. colesy

colesy

Does Dave Stiller or Hub Auto Supply in Boston ring a bell with anyone?

Attached Files:

5. colesy

colesy

For anyone keeping score, that is or was the Culley & Buchanan Overtaker 55 in the far lane from Richmond VA. Here's another photo.

Attached Files:

6. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Pete,

You have some good stuff here!

Brad Watkins and I worked for Hallowell Chevrolet, Olds, Cadillac in 1970. He sold the '57 and had purchased a new 1969 Z-28 for G/S. I have posted numerous photos of the car which was prepared by Tony Pizzi.

After Brad sold the Z-28 to the Wheatley Bros. he and I were partners in a 1965 427 Chevelle bracket car. We ran the car for a couple years until I decided I'd rather have a boat to play with in the heat of summer.

I just saw little George and Elaine at York a few weeks ago. George has a computer and we share an occasional email, but he has had problems with a virus and will not accept photos. I'll see if I can get him to contribute some stories.

7. colesy

colesy

Thanks Tom, that'd be great to hear from George.

8. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Another shot of Tinsley & Culley. May have been posted wayyyy back.

Tinsley-Culley.jpg

9. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

You're a good writer Steve. You have a way of blending the thoughts with the scene. Not only can people visualize what's going on but they can feel the emotion as well. That's what makes a good story.:)
    Verne

10. Hi Roger,
    Contact Mike Goyda -- [email protected] he is located in PA.
    Mike has quite a collection of jackets, shirts, decals, magazines,racing papers etc. all to do with division 1. He is a pleasure to do business with and a nicer person you will not meet. Tell him I suggested you to contact him.

Dom Rinaldi

11. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Hey Dom, thanks for the tip..... i will touch base w/ him...thanks! roger jr.

12. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

I cant get done telling the people i know who would enjoy this site about it... just awesome.....thanks again to all !!

13. ScottV

ScottV

14. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Join the "in-crowd"...
    [​IMG]

I see one H.A.M.B. member on that list.

Pete :)

P.S. Hmmm...I didn't know that Elaine Cureton raced.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  16. Hope to see some of you Jr Stock guys at the Pocono Drag Lodge reunion Saturday 08/15. HAMB meet-n-greet at 2 PM at end of track behind starting line near the DJ. Wind Gap reunion is Sunday 08/16. What a weekend !

17. bgardelle

bgardelle

I pic I dug up of the SS/I car

Attached Files:

18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/MgaR3rf7obc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

Madison Township Raceway Park. Remember when it was called that?

Pete
    </EMBED>

19. John Mackey

John Mackey

I'm on there. WOW, Alot of E-town racers.

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Pete,

You don't have to be a racer to be JAck Approved!

Here is JAck with recent inductee, the Grump (just a little beyond Jr Stock at this point) and Ed Hedrick. Jack and I share a laugh at dinner later that evening.

Attached Files:

21. John Mackey

John Mackey

I still have trophies with Madison Township Raceway Park on them.

22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Gripping Steve, can't wait to hear the outcome of this. I suggestion you change out Layla as it wasn't released until '70-71 and can we make it an 8 Track?

23. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Steve, this is great! I think Clapton with Cream would be more
    era-correct. Maybe something from the Disraeli Gears album?
    Yes, and definitely on 8-track cassette!

[​IMG]

What an era...

Pete

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  24. JAck approved sticker 50 cents, spending time with JAck Redd...........................PRICELESS !

25. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Doug says -- "I suggest you change out Layla as it wasn't released until '70-71 and can we make it an 8 Track?

... and then Pete says -- "I think Clapton with Cream would be more
    era-correct."

Thanks guys!

I checked with Mrs. Goode (Johnny V's widow) and she agrees, and she noted that it might very-well have been Sunshine of Your Love. She tells me that after a tough week at work Johnny liked to mellow out a bit before arriving at the track.<!-- / message -->

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yes, I agree Pete. And dear Mrs. Goode (alas, she never remarried) also tells me that *this was Johnny's fave album. *She adds " that is -- if you don't include anything by The Who."

Attached Files:

27. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Lol Nothing like comming home early,firing up the comp,signing into EBAY to check out the item you want! WAITING till it's down to 15 seconds to put in a winning bid.

and getting blown the whole way out of the website so your bid does not count!

I HATE THAT! dammit!

28. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

go-go go johnny go!!! I know how Johnnie felt with the encounter with the state trooper i have to deal with blank stares when I tell people im building a 56 chevy sedan delivery JR. STOCKER clone (some of these guys you would think they had a clue!) they give a blank look, then reply " why dont you build an old gasser out of it?"

29. Jr.Stocker Racer 70

Jr.Stocker Racer 70
    from USA

Just found this site today! In 70 I drove a 61 Pontiac Catalina in O/S. The guy I drove the car was Jim Kopp. He also had the Bananna Peel and a 60 Pontiac Wagon that ran in N/SA. I believe it won class at Pomona in 70. It was a tri-pwer car colored orange with a white top. I ran Tom Longnecker 6 weekends in a row at Pences for the money! Also earlier in this thread there is a pic of Tom with the Crane Cams shirt on. The car is on the scales at Edgewater! I am also wanting to remember Paul Longneckers 60 Pontiac wagon running mostly F/G. I remember him talking about getting 25 runs from a ring and pinion. It was odd to see that big of a car out running Vegas and other small type gassers! I know at indy the year he ran it there at tech he was made to put decals over the rusted spots on the car. Garland Parsons bought the running gear from the blow shield back. He had a 67 Camaro that he put all of it in. I was wanting the car and before I could come up with the bucks. Tim Holbert and his cousin Colon Myers bought it and ran S/SI with it. I know they battled with Bennett and Siriani alot. If anyone has a pic of Holbert and Myers white 57 Nomad it would be nice to see it here. The car was originally called the Opium Express,then changed to the Medicine Man due to NHRA's dislike of the original name.

30. biscaynes

biscaynes

welcome 70! those are the stories that make this thread great. :cool:
    any picts of your '61 cat?