Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

"Vintage Junior Stock/Modified Production 1955-56-57 Chevrolet 265/283, Genuine HOOKER Super Competition Fenderwell Headers~ R2372A and L2372A. With 1-1/2" id primaries x 2-1/2" slip-fit, bolted tabs racing collectors, these headers are in really good condition. Blast the minimal surface rust off and they'll look nearly new. Coat 'em and they'll be around for a long time.

Nearly as nice as the legendary STAHL Fenderwell Headers, these old HOOKERS have thick port flanges and superior welding/tube-seal compared to the other brands of the era. These don't leak nearly as bad as the others with thinner flanges. The flanges on this set are very straight. They show very little sign of use in their lifetime, there's barely any headerbolt marks on the flanges, must see !!! Also has a factory welded heavy-duty Generator mount on the driver's side pair.

With 32" equal length primaries to the collectors, these 1-1/2" i.d. tubes really perk up a 265/283 power pack, good torque numbers with 'em. There are no primary tube pieces included to lengthen the primary length, although they can be easily lengthened with the optional short-tube pieces. And...there is barely any trace of the front tires ever rubbing the backside of the collectors on this set either. Primary tubes must be seen...there are NO dings, nicks, hammer marks, gouges, etc. on this set...anywhere !!! The right-side collector has a very slight ding or 2 that will easily hammer out (see pic Please). No street hook-ups, though you could make your own, these were made strictly for race only applications.

Overall a great pair of classic Hooker Super Competition Race Car Headers. From a modern day SS/OA application, G/MP Nostalgia '55 Nomad or a retro Q/S '55 Chevy Jr. Stock restoration project, these are the headers you're looking for."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

4. I answered this once before but don't mind doing so again.

I am sure that Frank told me what caused the flip but I honestly don't remember what it was,
    Frank has got his hands full work wise, and when not working he and his son Michael run their 573 CI mopar.
    After the flip being that they were a factory supported team, Chrysler tried to find a challenger conv. for them but their were none anywhere in the US.
    Frank told them to send him a coupe and to get off the assembly line or out of the warehouse every part ,nut, bolts, interior trim, whatever, and he would make it into a convertible. He and Tom cut the roof off the new car and made a convertible out of it. You would have to know Frank to understand his approach to doing such a task. It didn't seem like much more effort for him than changing a set of plugs { well not quite that simple} but he was a craftsman !!!!. You also have to realize the size of the parts department supplying him. If Chrysler didn't have it they would have it made. He accomplished all this in a very short period of time. It wasn't unusual for Frank to come home from work and find boxes of parts left on his lawn form the many truck delivery companies that frequented his house.

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

How nice of you to post those eBay header images Pete!

Seems that this thread has evolved into a very comprehensive medium -- and an incredible resource. Some of the regular posters are quite astute (and articulate) historians, others are superb when it comes to images, many share their intriguing reminiscing, a few play benign (and useful) 'devil's advocate' roles. And a couple are 'all of the above'!

Yes, and more than a few 'Super Stars' of that tumultuous decade have stopped by and shared a memory or two. And even more racers seem to come 'out-of-the-woodwork' daily to celebrate past victories and lament their skin-of-the-teeth defeats.

What drama resides in these marvelous 176 pages of text and images ... it certainly is potent fodder for a book. How about it Bill, Doug, Verne, Pete, Freddie ... ?

Now, let's see if we can hear from some (more) NHRA Division 4, 5, and 6 racers ... we know you're out there!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

7. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

awww man that was suppose to be a secret! LOL!

8. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

LOL you know i want that! THANKS!shoot me a pm plz

9. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Sorry bout that Ken. I think this is Ken. I know better,Ken is The Jolly Green Giant.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  10. Those arent Hooker headers are they???? They look like Stahl???
    -Dean

11. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I would agree Steve. Overall it's been great. Only a few misguided facts and/or parts sales posts. For anyone who loves the early days of drag racing, especially the stocks, this is the place to be. :) For now, this IS the book. I know of another book in the works by one of our frequent posters but it focuses on one individual from those times. I myself have often thought of another book which focuses on another individual and I am collecting info for it. Let's just say it's a tribute to the "unknown guy", which actually most racers were. I think "they" should go down in history too. ;)
    Verne

12. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I don't know if the set pictured is Hooker-made or not but I ran a set that looked pretty much the same on my '64 Impala. That set was definitely Hooker and they got the job done a lot better than any of the headers made for the "X-frame" cars. Took a little manipulation to get them to fit through the fender-wells but they worked. I think I got them from Val Hedworth and he had run them on his '59 Biscayne before that.

c

13. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Amen to each and every point mentioned!! long live the q-jet/afb/4gc's

14. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

No sir i am not ken!

I would be Scotty! How do you do! lol

:cool:

15. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Welcome Roger:)

[​IMG]

Please post some memories.....
    Verne;)

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome, gentlemen.

Steve, I wouldn't know where to begin! Perhaps John Dianna could be of some help in this dept.! :)

Regards,

Pete

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What's a hardtop/sedan bumper doing on a delivery/wagon? WagonKiller, is it still this way? Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. 65deluxe

65deluxe

As Verne said, "this IS the book". Theirs just so much to say and tell on the subject and not enough input from the "superstars". I think for a book like this to sale, and to do it right you'd need contributions from the likes of Barkley, Cureton, Jenkins, Spanakos, Stahl, Dianna etc. It would be a good book for sure. Oh, and the real hard part, you got to have alot of quality photos.
    Either way, hope someone is documenting all this stuff off site.

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Installed after the wreck in '66?

20. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I remember going to the Springnationals in Dallas with Joe Allread the first year he ran his wagon. You could not go any where in the city without seeing Duffy's decals plastered everywhere.

21. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Well no and yes

NO the bumper's not on there ATM

YES it does look just like the bumper i took off i have in my basement all shined up best i could get it!

:cool:

22. novadude

novadude

Slightly off topic for this board (late-60s), but the video really fits this thread. late-60s gear-banging action! Some of these guys are pretty skilled with a 4-spd.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-IPz_TWEgk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-IPz_TWEgk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

23. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Hey Folks, First off i wanted to say as a new guy to this site/thread that im am blown away! The photo's, the courtesy,the info and conversation about these people and the cars is really something. So thanks to all for sharing. I was hoping to find info/photos or anything having to do w/ the cars my father had built engines for and or tuned. Mostly nhra division one circa 60's-70's His name is Roger Sinistri. Some of the cars/drivers... Larry Lombardo /Buckshot 61 corvette. Skip Bechtel/ Snake Charmer corvette Charlie Lutz/ Lickety Split Biscayne./little terror 55/56 chev little hotstuff. Ed Showalter/Zorro 409 Paul Alberts/rappid rabbit corvette. Also John Nugent Troutman/Nugent corvette Im hunting anything really ..time cards, national records from nhra/nascar,team jackets,patches,decals, magazines ,articles,trophys ..... any help/stories/leads would be really appreciated! Thanks, Roger Jr.

24. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Hi , this Roger Jr.. I just told my dad about this thread and how awesome it is, he is not the most computer literate !! but i will get him set up and on here... He will LOVE it. Thanks for sharing the picture.... its one ive never seen.! Thanks Verne.

25. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

See arn't these guys amazing?

26. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Will post later.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  27. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Very well written, Steve. I say: continue!

Regards,

Pete

P.S. I'd like to see the movie (after it's finished)!

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  30. colesy

colesy

OK, now we have George Cureton's wedding photo. Time to get George on here!!! Someone buy him a computer NOW and if need be we'll all chip in.
    Like I've said before, where else are you going to find photos like this but here on the good ol' Junior Stock thread.Thanks Pete. :)