Register now to get rid of these ads!

**NEWS FLASH**...H.A.M.B. Disrespects Thoughts and Ideas.

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by quick85, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Actually, I should have written "Intelligent Thoughts and Ideas". What brings this about
    you might ask. Well, it has to do with a thread titled "Old cars/shows/new cars",
    discussing the trend of bringing very late or current model cars to car shows and, to an
    extent, cruise nights. There was give and take on both sides of the conversation and
    for the most part was civil, but the thread has now been closed.

Two things bug me about the closure. First, I presented what I thought were valid points
    in an intelligent manner. I didn't slam anyone or step on opposite feelings. What I did
    do was post about ten photos from a singular cruise night featuring a variety of cars,
    asking the members which car(s) did not belong at a car event? I also asked the mods
    to cut me some slack since I had two '80s cars in the mix. I said I was trying to make a point. Well, too f*****g bad for me, my post was deleted. Okay, it's happened to me before
    because I like to get involved in some of these thought provoking threads, and it'll happen to me again, because I like to get involved in some of these thought provoking threads.

The second thing that bugged me is no reason was given for closing the thread. Okay, but if the H.A.M.B. is going to close a thread then remove it, too.

Car freaks come to this site for a variety of reasons I suppose, but there are some really
    stupid subjects brought up and they go on and on. Yep, I want to see photos of the
    different floor mats that guys use in their '49 Desotos, and I often wonder which door
    I should get in if I have a four door sedan and I'm going to run to the store for a new
    California Duster. Spelling sucks and correct punctuation is nil. C'mon moderators,
    show the clear thinkers some respect.

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick85 I hear you but they have the power to decide what stays and what goes, without explaining it to anybody. All I can say is to not take it personally even though you believe it was a valid thread with good courteous discussion taking place. I think the idea of dumping a closed thread is a good one as well.

quick85 likes this.
  4. 392

5. Extra butter ?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's not personal... at all... It's editorial.

We try really hard to keep this place focused on the traditional because our target audience is into traditional cars and don't want to see the place cluttered with off topic stuff. As moderators, we serve those folks primarily.

This is an argument that has been had many times before in our previous 22 years and I think as a moderation group, we've all grown really tired of it is all. Fatigue has set in. As such, we zap that stuff pretty quickly and move on to the stuff we are into.

We aren't perfect, but man... we try really hard.

7. I'm not necessarily talking about the above mentioned thread but there are times that I wish threads were closed but NOT deleted.
    I can give an example. Recently I posted a bunch of HAMB-appropriate photos in a thread that unfortunately went south. If threads were closed, even "cleaned" and closed then the posts remain visible.
    That thread got deleted and is gone entirely.....

Jeff Brinkhaus, LAROKE and Stogy like this.
  8. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I started the discussion because I've only been a member for a few months, so I didn't know it had been discussed before.
    That to me isn't a rational reason to close a discussion. People are participating, to me and new members it's a new topic.
    Why not simply ignore something that's been discussed before?
    Similarly I've noticed repeat discussions on electrical issues, something I have knowledge in. Those discussions aren't closed and are repeated.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Jeff Brinkhaus and quick85 like this.
  9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ryan, I'm really not trying to give you grief. I've gotten hip to the way things work here, or
    at least a lot of it. Yes, I realize that some subjects reappear from time to time, but as I said,
    so much lame brain stuff pops up that it's refreshing to have a reasonable discussion going,
    if guys will agree to discussing reasonably.

As far as the photos contributing to my posts getting pulled, it's not like I post a photo of
    a late model car ('69 and newer) just to say "Hey, check this out". I've posted them (within
    a context) when I feel there's a point to be made. I would think an educated moderator
    could recognize that. I appreciate your making an appearance in my post. Mitch.

Jeff Brinkhaus likes this.
  10. F&J

F&J

please, don't ever quit the site,,, there is no other website for the old ways.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I need to do a better job of that for sure. Usually, I try to clean up rather than delete a thread... but when I'm super busy sometimes I get lazy.

As far as tech stuff and other on topic stuff goes, we would never delete something just because it has been discussed before. But honestly, the "is this hamb appropriate: why or why not?" topic has just gotten beat to death. That's all...

We allow some of those sidebars, but what happens a lot of times is that a guy posts an off topic car to make a valid point and then that post is used against us as moderators by some other guy that is pissed after pics of his 68 camaro got deleted. It's not fun.

Gary Reynolds, woodz, pwschuh and 4 others like this.
  12. I don't envy the mods.

F&J, FlyFisher, Sky Six and 3 others like this.
  13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

No kidding!

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't always agree with everything but its not my site and the rules are there for a reason so don't get your panties in a wad. JMHO

Sky Six, big bird and Jalopy Joker like this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no complaints with the staff or the site as they have both done a great job getting me the info on the cars I love.

Sky Six likes this.
  16. big bird

big bird

The H.A.M.B. is the H.A.M.B.
    That is what it is for. The H.A.M.B. has it's niche.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  17. It’s Ryan’s site. If we don’t like the rules we can take our toys elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Gary Reynolds and sevenhills1952 like this.
  18. I have had a lot of threads deleted in the past 15 years and the majority of them did tend to veer off topic, post by others and myself.

Remember the moderators are doing their job and it's not a easy one,they are charged with keeping every section on topic and it's a daunting task, don't take it personal, just try to let it go & forget about it. HRP

19. town sedan

town sedan

Desoto floor mats! I must have missed that thread, anybody got a link?
    Get out on the curb side, it's safer and a bench seat makes it easy.
    The key to reading is comprehension and punctuation does help.
    Besides all this do you want to see John Holms is you favorite girly book? Or street freaks and cruiser vans on the HAMB?
    -Dave

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Street freaks (mile high '57 Chevys and '62-'65 Chevy IIs) and (mid-'70s) cruiser vans? Yeah, sure.

21. The Hamb focus is '65 and earlier.

Your profile eludes to a liking for later model cars.

Nothing wrong with that but considering the narrow Hamb focus your Mustang like all the late model cars at cruise in's is considered a new car here.

Again,in the last 15 years I have had many post deleted, your not being singled out and pleading your case is a lesson in futility,the moderators are just doing their job. HRP

Moriarity likes this.
  22. HiHelix

HiHelix

Walk the line or go to the end of the line.There needs to be some order.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... honestly, it just seems like you are on the wrong website.

Gary Reynolds, bowie, X38 and 2 others like this.
  24. kursplat

kursplat

what people need is a list of H.A.M.B. approved alternative websites to post on, so they're getting they're h.a.m.b. on the side :rolleyes:

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

What some of you seem to fail to understand is that I (personally, and possibly others) can
    have an interest in late model cars but still really enjoy early rides. That's what makes the
    H.A.M.B attractive to me. I can get my fill of what I like, possibly pick up a tip or two and
    go along my merry way. I would never consider trying to pass my 33 year old street machine
    off on you guys and would certainly never post a photo of it here. I realize my '67 Nova
    doesn't fit the bill either. That being said, I still have my thoughts and feelings and sometimes
    feel like I have to share those with others when the time is right. What I can do is enjoy the
    photos along with some of the discussions and keep my thoughts to myself.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You make it seem as though we are trying to control your thoughts and passions. We aren't. We are just trying to control the content on this site. We focus on traditional hot rods and customs here. We aren't trying to be disrespectful to other genres while doing so... not at all... A lot of us have other passions. For instance, I also play with air cooled porsches... But again, that's not what we focus on here.

It seems as though you are having a hard time accepting this? I don't know how many more ways I can say it... If you don't understand at this point, I'm afraid I've failed you. Maybe just read for a while until you get the hang of the joint.

27. Geeeez Ryan! You are mellowing in your golden years. I remember when the mods would just suspend guys or ban them for such repeated whining. Thanks again man, for providing this site!
    Seems like a LOT of new members that just don't really get the IDEA of the HAMB. Not talking about my personal taste, but the parameters of the site. I see it all over. I "report" very few posts, not my job to be a mod.
    I might suggest you re establish the rules, people NEVER read rules or terms when joining a site, seems like few new posters bother, yet gripe like crazy when their stuff is deleted! I've had stuff deleted, big ' deal.
    NOT your job to get people to read, but maybe it's time ( again ) to sort of lay down the law to constant repeat offenders. The SAME GUYS just do the same stuff over and over, maybe it's again time to do some house cleaning.

EXHIBIT A: Didn't read the rules, wants them changed.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rules.1117548/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  28. I suggest locking this thread!

29. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

The rules say no profanity...then I read "fuckin'".
    Earlier I was confused in the rules wording when all one had to say was this forum is dedicated to pre-1966 hot rods and customs. Personally, I would have included original cars.

quick85 likes this.

30. Edited out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.