Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newport Engineering wiper motor issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 1ST SERIES, May 30, 2016.

1. My Newport Eng. wiper motor on my 55.1 truck took a dump. It's about 7 or 8 years old, so I'm not surprised. The slow speed kinda works but the high speed just keeps popping fuses. Anyway, I've been looking online for a replacement motor and have found a few. The thing is, they all look very similar but none of them have the extra switch on the gear cover that my Newport motor has. Can anyone tell me what the function of that switch is? I think that switch is what went bad, as it looks burnt. I'm going to call Newport Eng. tomorrow, but if I can get a replacement cheaper & without that switch, I may go that route.

Here's a few pics of my motor & one of the replacements I found online. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464656458.600023.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464656490.466392.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464656511.282609.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464656628.749090.jpg

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I believe that is for the park function.
    KK

3. X2. That should be for the park function. Look at all the other wiper kits. It may not say Newport in the catalog but it probly is. The last few that I have seen from Newport have newer motors in them. Mine works flawlessly in my 51. A new One from them may have a newer motor setup in it.

4. I wonder if I could bypass it in the meantime and just turn them off when the wipers hit the bottom of the windshield...

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just this weekend I attended an NSRA event in Springfield MO. The Newport folks were there, as usual. And, as usual, they were friendly and helpful to all comers, one of which was me.

Do what you want, but I think honest, hard working folks, like these people, who have invested a great deal of time and effort in developing first rate products that make our hobby easier and safer, deserve our support in return. I have bought an installed a few of their kits and they fit and work as advertised.

How much can you really save bypassing Newport as a supplier for a new wiper motor?

Ray

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Kan Kustom and mcsfabrication like this.
  6. My Newport would blow fuses on any speed. It was out of warranty also. I contacted Newport. They were very accommodating. I sent the whole assembly back,they replaced to motor and sent it back. Ten days I think. There was a charge of coarse.

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Bob and Linda at Newport will do their best to help you, they have always came through for me.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Bob will do all he can to help you out. Give them a call

9. brady1929

brady1929

More good information to save.

10. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Do you have a pic of this extra switch?

The park is usually handeled on the rotary switch along with the low and high

Ive had positive experience with newport. One vendor sold me a newport but did not disclose it would not clear the stock choke cable.

I called newport and for a small bench fee they converted my wiper even though I did not purchase through them. good folks

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport is a top notch company. I had one with problems that was a few years old. Sent it to them and they fixed it for a nominal fee. I have installed 7 or 8 in 40's with only one having an issue as mentioned. Some of the others that look similar don't work as well or fit as well-only Newport for me in 40's. On one 40 it started to blow fuses after a few years. Found it to be binding inside the wiper towers rather than the motor-easy fix.

12. CME1

CME1

I have used three Newport units in three different cars. Really easy installation and great fit. No trouble with any of the three. The units fit excellent in the old locations. I think Newport is a great product. I will use them again.