Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newer radiator in a 55/56 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Feb 5, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am almost certain my trans issues while in Florida was the trans getting too hot,a bunch of debris got caught between the cooler and radiator so I have since replaced that cooler and spaced it further from the radiator but I am thinking I would also like a cooler in the radiator along with the add on cooler. Last year I looked a a 55 ford that was for sale and it looked to had a mid 6os radiator and looked like it bolted in,I wish I would have paid more attention but I did not so is there anyone with a 55 or 56 that has a radiator from a mid 60s Ford product in it and if so what did you use.

2. Mine has what I think is a '65, '66 or '67 Fairlane unit that's bolted to the engine side of the radiator support. I don't remember if the U bracket is in it. Been that way since I got it in 1981. Suspect it and the 289/C4 came from the same donor.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff.. I'm not so sure they are a cooler as way of keeping the trans consistant temp. When I had a new radiator built for my 56 I knew at some point I was going to up grade the trans and put a factory type cooler device in the bottom tank. I have since installed a 62 cruise-o and use it. I've checked the lines and they stay at what ever the coolant temp is.
    When the engine is cold the shifts take longer and like all transmissions it seems to work perfect when the engine is warm. The only time I ever added an additional cooler was on tow vehicles.
    Our stock sized radiators fill the available hole in the frame and if I went with a wider one I would open that wider too. The addition of a fan shroud from a guy in Texas really helped my 56. I had to message it a little but it really helped. If a later Fairlane would work it would be best to get the best possible like a 390 GTA. Good luck

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I inquired about having a cooler put in the bottom tank but the guy that done the radiator said the bottom tank did not look strong enough so I put a aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator,I think I have found a 56 bottom tank with the cooler but will have to see if it will work. There is no radiator shops in town so I might just see if there is a radiator with a cooler I can make work that will not look too out of place.

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I bought a new aluminum stamped tank 2 11/8 inch cores and trans cooler built in for 249.00 if you don't like the look of aluminum you can paint it

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

morac41 likes this.