Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newer cars worth scavenging parts from

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63comet, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 63comet

63comet

I'd like to compile a list of newer, as in less than twenty years old, cars worth picking bits off of in yards. Many junk yards keep nothing older than one or two generations back of any model so seeking out parts can be a pain. Everytime someone suggests a Bronco axle or something similar for my car its frustrating because most of the seventies and eighties junk cars are now specialty or just gone.

I was just pondering a cheap steering column for a not yet started project and it got my mind in this, along with my current search for wheels.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Not trying to discourage you, but I cannot think of one damn thing on these later cars that would apply to traditional hot rods. Maybe custom car builders can come up with something, but I have no idea what. I see you mention having a van. Well, maybe you would use seats or some other items like that. Otherwise, nothing. Others will join in with a great list of parts, but I'm out of ideas. Kinda sad isn't it?

4. badshifter

badshifter

1: battery
    2: nothing else

5. I might be inclined to salvage off thread parts for my off thread pick up , but any thing for a hamb worthy vehicle ?? there isn't a dam thing in the last 20 years worth saving for one , just my $.02 .

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

the 8.8 is about the only thing I can think of

7. Although this isn't exactly traditional rod material, plain steel wheels in 15 inch size are getting difficult to find at times. I'm talking about the style of rims that you would find on a mid 70's mid 80's into mid 90's full size GM car, or Ford truck that is possible to still attach a dogdish hubcap to. Beyond that.... I can't think of anything else.

8. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part of the dilemma here is that most parts that new have some sort of computer control or emission regulating device, or something of that sort. It takes so much engineering to overcome these features that it is just not worth it. Or it's plastic or composite that wont play nice with older steel and cast parts. Your probably barking up the wrong tree with this crowd, but with good reason. The newer stuff just doesn't work on our cars.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Diavolo

Diavolo

12SI alternator, discreetly tucked away. Wire. Modular headlights. Smart car and that Chevy truck thing taillights...

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Some of the spares are steelies, with narrow widths.

11. Diavolo

Diavolo

Going to put a modern C30 steering bell crank in my truck to convert cross steer to push-pull steer. That's pretty new.

12. 63comet

63comet

Ok... to start it off... I have a auto floor shifter out of a '90s Merc Capri in my car... bolts to the floor, went together damn near like a universal fit kit. I never got around to replacing the handle but I'm not done with the console around it either. Either way, in a proper install with a swapped knob all that you'd see is a chrome shaft. The mechanism seems pretty sturdy, its all steel and chunkier than I expected in such a tiny car.

Axles, of course, any bits that hide under the car....

I'm sure there are lots of brake bits out there. I'm fitting the rear brakes from a '95 Ranger, may go with Crown Vic drums if they seem they'll fit, they're finned and look cooler.....

I understand those that want to build their cars completely with parts that were available in the early sixties but I'm not interested in a museum piece, I'm trying to spend the money and time to make my car a true daily driver. If I can use components that don't stick out like a sore thumb, cost less, and can be replaced/repaired without waiting and searching for parts, those are the components I'll choose.

What is the 12SI alternator?

13. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I've heard a lot of guys use mini van seats but I'm not sure what year or model

14. gerry miller

gerry miller

"Your probably barking up the wrong tree with this crowd, but with good reason."
    Heaven forbid you should find a part to improve or make it faster. Paint it flat black.Sombreros , chop it, put the flattie back in it and be a genuine "Hot Rod Restorer" not a real hot rodder with imagination and a dare to be different. what hot rodding was originally when I read the little books way back when I couldn't wait to see the next issue to see what someone else came up with every month or two.
    Sometimes HAMB friendly is bull shit.
    Gerry

senginc likes this.
  15. rfraze

rfraze

I hope you guys are not saying that searching out cool parts at wrecking yards is not traditional. I bet the "traditional" parts did not come from The Traditional Parts Store.

If you ever need a switch to dim dash lights, check out Off Topic Nissan's separate under dash switch. Easy. Works.

16. I work on late models for a living. i really cant think of much of anything that would be of any mechanical use in a traditional rod or custom other than differentials and manual transmissions from RWD trucks, camaros and firebirds.

3rd row bench seats are worth a measure. also middle buckets. i had late 80's caravan seats, cut down in my 27 roadster. they fit perfect.

a creative guy might snatch up all the upper and lower radiator hoses he can get his hands on for some problem solving solutions, as well as as many spring clamps as possible.

fuse blocks, relays, and related might be of use. i really like the remote Battery lugs on cabin forward chryslers and others.

hard fuel line sections from american cars and trucks might make for some cool, secure fuel filter mounting solutions.

brake lines (hard and flexible) can provide some creative solutions for late model conversions. you can use the fittings and flare your lines. many disc brake kits come with 'metric' calipers.

i'm sure there are other things that might be awesome like under hood lamps on mercury switches, overhead map light consoles, or dome lights that could be converted to under dash lights connected to door pin switches, or glove box lights or....

i'll think of more.

17. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Heres some:
    [​IMG]

You wouldnt want dirt getting in the stem? cause thats just stupid...:rolleyes:

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

19. Was at U-pull-it yesterday and found really sanitary block of relays in a "snap-in" receiver. Was in a car occupying the import row but I don't remember what it was.

20. slammed

slammed

That was then ,this is now. If the Criteria on this board is not to anyones liking there are thousands of anything goes auto sites to hang out at.

21. slammed

slammed

Another FNG that wants to challenge this sites intent?

22. 63comet

63comet

I'll accept that when I stop seeing Mustang II suspensions, air bags, AOD transmissions, etc...

23. slammed

slammed

Your point is to find more late model to adapt to old cars knowing the controversy the topic brings. Add a twin turbo'd LS and bingo street rod. No accepting that power train ever, here.

24. Parts is parts....

If you see no useful parts in ANY modern vehicle then you're not looking close enough. Tiny alternators from Kubota fork lifts and small Japanese vehicles have been mentioned. Other small asian utility vehicles contain well designed and simple parts. The small Honda Acty forward control vans (Subaru did one also - not sure what they're called in the US but I know you have them) have neat plain steering columns and steering boxes and useful pedal boxes too.

Master cylinders and wheel cylinders are another part that can be sourced from modern vans and trucks. In fact, hydraulics of all types. Drum brake internals have hardly changed since the early 50's.

Various electrical parts, switches, fuse boxes, relays, seat heating pads, headlamp and tail light internals. Solenoids too.

Latches and locks. Recycled fasteners and clips of all sorts.

Steering racks from Smart cars are high spec, light and compact and UK rodders have started to use them.

Middle row seats from Mini Vans and People Carriers work well in A's and B's.

Most of these parts will need adapting and refinishing to make them work and look right with a Trad Rod - but what doesn't? As a source of raw material there's nothing wrong with them.

25. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I completely agreed with thinking it does not belong here at first, but then started thinking that there are things for my vehicles that cannot be swapped off a older vehicle to make one even drivable. I really want to do a disk break swap in the future but the only way of achieving that is a newer IFS unit or a spindle/drum conversion. which the only disk brakes that should be used where made in the last 30 years. or a manual steering gearbox off a 80's toyota I heard is one of the only replacements for mine. jeep cherokee master cylinder replaces mine. also fuse boxes, gas tanks, Heaters, odds and ends that no one would even know about. Some are not as lucky as these guys who can build there vehicle out of a magazine but it is handy info to have. And if it helps why not.;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  26. lukey

lukey

Maybe a 6 way power heated seats with lumbar...have it recovered in tuck n roll. I'm only 31, but I like to pamper my back side occasionally:)
    Power door locks, stuff like that can be hidden from view. Sequential taillights from newer mustangs.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

What he said.
    The computer controlled everything in the engine, computer hooked up to the transmission. Get a little newer and the differential and suspension has a computer hooked to it.

I just got a 79 el camode for the engine, transmission and rear end to put in my 54.
    That's about as new as I ever want to buy even to scrap out.

28. Century

Century

Hanging brake pedal assembly and master, wiring harness for spare wire, exhaust tubing, fuses/relays, battery, alternator, etc.

29. staleg

staleg

-Small heaters from under rear row seats on minivan's.
    Cooling water operated and highly effective.
    -Wiper motors, wiper mechanisms.
    -Flip top gas caps from newer Fiat coupes (do you have them in The US?)
    -Emergency brake levers (stripped from for cushion etc)
    -Waterproof electric connectors.

senginc likes this.
  30. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Ditto on the GM overdrive trans. Mine is late 80's 700r4.

senginc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.