Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newer 3 speed hooked to 49 Pontiac column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 23, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the 3 speed trans a 49 has was similar to a Olds but can a original 3 speed column be made to work with a newer trans,wanting to keep the interior looking original but if I have to use a floor shifter its going to be a 4 speed.

2. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Ain't easy.

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think it is certainly possible Jeff, and if you have a particular transmission in mind, post that transmission up and maybe someone here has done that specific swap. As long as there is enough travel in the column shifter to move the linkage rods far enough to fully engage each gear, it should be possible. You may have to mod the shift arms on the trans to fit your rods, and may have to mod the rods for length.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, that trans is essentially the same as Olds and Buick with ‘selector’ type shifter. You might be able to swap in a Chevy column of the same era as your Pontiac. The Chevy uses the two levers common to the later models. Since Pontiac and Chevy share much of their body structure, it’s worth looking into, IMO.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The trans I was thinking on using is a late 60s Saginaw? 3 speed since a local junkyard has a few.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A friend had a 49 Chevy and I do not think I could use a Chevy column in the Pontiac as they are totally different,maybe a Canadian Pontiac column might work.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, there you go...It’s not too late to ask Santa for one....but you better hurry.....

Merry Christmas.....

firstinsteele likes this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Measure the mast jacket - if it's the same diameter as a '49-'52 Chev, that shift mechanism should be near a bolt-in. If larger diameter, try '48-'54 Chev/GMC pickup or '53-'54 Chev passenger. The linkage from the H box to the trans is the easy part.