Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newby from Victoria, Australia

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Raymond Loewy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Hi all,

I grew up around rods. My father has had the one car since well before I was born and I have been to runs and shows since I was in nappies.
    As my user name suggests I love the early 50's Studebakers.
    Did have one but sold it to my father a few years back - my parents were starting to prefer a little comfort on their rod runs and the channelled 32 roadster was a little uncomfortable!

Am looking at getting another one - just saving my pennies and finding the right car :)

I was directed here by the guy who originally built my car so hopefully you guys will be nice to a female newby :)

2. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

hello and welcome from so cal!

3. autobilly

autobilly

4. Welcome, hadn't heard of Raymond Loewy so did a quick wiki...I learned something new today! Hope no one minds the cut/copy/paste...

"Raymond Loewy (November 5, 1893 – July 14, 1986) was an industrial designer, and the first to be featured on the cover of Time magazine, on October 31, 1949.[1] Born in France, he spent most of his professional career in the United States. Among his designs were the Shelll and former BP logos, the Greyhound Scenicruiser bus, Coca-Cola vending machines, the Pennsylvania Rail Road GG1 and S1 locomotives, the Lucky Strike package, Coldspot refrigerators, the Studebaker Avanti and Champion, and the Air Force One livery. His career spanned seven decades."

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Greetings Raymond from the west coast of Florida.

The HAMB is a great place to hang out and learn many of the tricks of the trade.

Best Regards Jimbo

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

G'Day Ray, You surprise me that you sold your car. At least it is still in the family.
    I used to say hello to you at the Victorian Hot Rod Show every year until your Dad retired from running the show.

7. captmullette

captmullette

welcome, to the hamb from florida

8. Firefly

Firefly

9. G,day and welcome ,if I,ve got the right person your stude is just down the road in Metung..??

10. Hemiman51

Hemiman51

Welcome from the east bay Ca. My wife's uncle Frank worked for Raymond Loewy. Back inthe 40ties to the 70ties. Not sure if he worked on the Studies.

11. You've got the right person cappy! Good to see you again on Monday ''Ray'' cheers oggie

12. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Thanks guys :)
    Great to see you again Oggie - been too long!

Here is a little more info for you, Scroat Bag Garage (may I call you Scroat? LOL)

He is credited with designing the bullet nose Studes (50 & 51 models) - It was actually Bob Burke who did the majority of the work. I happen to have a photo of Bob Burke and his family in the 60's standing outside my grandparents house in Portarlingon near Geelong. Very small world :)

HotFR8 - it was a difficult decision but Dad was using it all the time anyway. I had to break the news to him that I was going to get another one.....still considering what to get but it will be a Stude :) Will be on here trying to get all the advice I can (and NO, I will not accept don't get a Stude as advice!)

Good Captian - now I will have to try and work out who you are LOL.

13. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I know you will get another Stude and in fact I have been thinking about one that may be for sale all day, Not going. Now why would I say do not get a Stude ?:confused:

14. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    Maybe this is what you need ?

15. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

welcome from tasmania

16. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Welcome from another aussie

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Just thought I would give an update. ..
    I found a new car. Delivered 2 weeks ago and soon to start work on it. ..

Another slightly left of centre car.....
    1951 Kaiser Henry J Deluxe.

It is a runner, pretty well stock and am now just deciding what to do with it :)

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Can you post some photos ?

19. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Here you go - still learning how to post photos :)
    These were the photos I bought it from.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looks good Jo.

21. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Thanks - I think so :)
    Panels need a bit of adjustment but it is pretty straight.

22. Hmmmm it will be interesting to see which way you go with this ,most henry j,s have that tough drag car look. Your old man waved the photos under my nose the other night no one else knew what it was .

23. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

LOL - When I told dad it arrived he said to put it back on the truck and send it down to his place. Trying to get his hands on all my cars!

It is a bit difficult to know which way to go - it is so complete as is that it would be a shame to do too much to it but I love the gasser look.

24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    Your name sake would have been 120 today.