Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie with Buick 215 questions in a 1963 Skylark...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikeDaMechanic123, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Hello all, newbie here...

So I helped my friend acquire a 1963 Buick Skylark that has what seems like apparently a seized engine. There was a lot of work done to this car over the years and it looks really nice and has been painted but it's a project that is not done yet. The guy he bought it from has not really helped as far as tell me if he ever tried to get the motor running so I'm assuming it's bad because he had the hood off the car and I think it was just too much of a project for him, probably money wise...

However I'm doing some research and thinking about getting a Rover engine that supposedly runs because my idea is just to get the car running... So this Rover engine does not include a flywheel, an intake, an oil pan or a timing cover... I'm sure that I can use them off the other original engine but, I figured that somebody ran the engine with low oil pressure because that's what I've run into with other Buick engines, and ruined the Engine until ceased. My big questions are can I use the modern V6 timing covers that are brand new? Because it just seems like there's a difference with the timing mark in a different location which does not bother with me. The other thing is, is there a difference in the flywheels? Basically I want to know if a 1984 Rover engine will be a direct bolt in, but I also have another question...

I was thinking about getting a running Buick Engine with all the accessories because it does not seem like I'll be able to put any kind of engine that has a rear distributor cap because I want to maintain the heat of course, I wanted to ask you if you know if I put a Buick 350 in will a turbo 350 fit or if I use a Buick V6 will a turbo 350 or metric 200 transmission fit? Not only that, obviously will I be able to get it to shift using the original shifter linkage???

Basically I wanted to dump a decent running engine in the car and get it running... I don't know anything about the older Transmissions from 61 to 63 in the skylarks but I'm trying to learn...

2. I know I'm a newbie, but anybody with information for me would be greatly appreciated...

3. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I don’t really know enough to help you, but I think the mention of Land Rover is why a lot of people aren’t helpful here. The V6 doesn’t see much talk around here. May have better luck with a vintage Buick forum. Good luck though, sounds like a fun project!

MikeDaMechanic123 likes this.
  4. Friend had a couple..he’s got it all done up with a cool intake, valley cover, and finned valve covers. I know nothing about them other than they are popular in dune buggies because of their light weight. Maybe try some of those forums

5. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I drove a ‘62 Skylark with a 215 all through high school. The transmission is a 2 speed with an odd shift pattern, reverse is all the way at the end. If you go through with an engine swap I would plan to replace the tranny and possibly the column as well. The 215 is a great little V8 though. I would really make sure the one he has is not rebuildable, and no replacements are available before I would consider a swap. The Skylark with the factory 215 is a very fun car to drive.

MikeDaMechanic123 and Hnstray like this.
  6. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

1. V6 timing cover? I don't know
    2. I do believe the flywheels were different, but I'm not 100% on that answer.
    3. Not a direct bolt in, but pretty close. I know guys have done it., but I'm not one of em.
    4. Buick 350 = Too heavy, mounts are all wrong, no enough room in the engine bay
    Turbo 350 = Too big, whole new trans tunnel would need to be fabbed
    Buick V6 = Could fit and be similar in weight, lots of fab to fit though
    TH200 = Will fit without tunnel surgery, I have one on the back of the 215 in my 62 Skylark
    5. The TH200 will work with the factory shifter with slight mods to the linkage

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you do it paint the engine with aluminum paint for sleeper effect.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There is alot of information online out there on these engines. Based upon one site, the front covers on the 215, 300 and V6 do interchange, since they all the same family. Timing marks vary. There is alot that interchange onto the Rover engines. The biggest changes were in the mid 90's when they changed to a crank driven oil pump and eventually eliminated the distributor hole. Even those look like they can be changed and back dated to look like the earlier engine.

9. Thank you all I did not get any notification of these responses... I had talked to D&D in Michigan and he basically wants to sell me something for $900 because he says the crank is not the same as the original GM transmission... I'm still figuring it could be fixed very cheaply instead of his $900 fix. Something about the crankshaft is .300 of an inch longer, but that sets back the flywheel that I can use the Rover starter... But he also said the pilot is different which I don't see why I couldn't put a bushing in there or drill it out...

10. And as a newbie I still have no idea how to post a new thread, I guess a moderator moved this and that's why they were responses finally...

11. 'Mo

'Mo

Buick V6 was also killer, and widely available. Top ten Best Engines, 25 million sold. I'd give a search.