Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie with a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hogluvr, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Here are the Tow Vehicle Requirements from the U-Haul websire:

Towing vehicle requirements

• Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
    • Tow vehicle and trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night. All U-Haul trailers and towing are wired with a 4-way flat light connector.
    • <!-- mp_trans_remove_start -->Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,210 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 5,290 lbs.).<!-- mp_trans_remove_end --><!-- mp_trans_disable_start --><!-- mp_trans_add Doit peser au moins 1,588 kg (3,500 lb) en tant que poids à vide. Ce poids doit aussi être égal ou supérieur à 80% du poids combiné de la remorque à 1,002 kg (2,210 lb) et du véhicule remorqué dont le poids peut aller jusqu'à 2,400 kg (5,290 lb).--><!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->
    • <!-- mp_trans_remove_start -->Must have a towing system that has a 5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating<!-- mp_trans_remove_end --><!-- mp_trans_disable_start --><!-- mp_trans_add Doit avoir un système de remorquage avec une capacité de 2,268 kg (5,000 lb) au minimum comme poids nominal--><!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->
    • <!-- mp_trans_remove_start -->Must have 1-7/8" or 2" hitch ball (5,000 lbs. minimum)<!-- mp_trans_remove_end --><!-- mp_trans_disable_start --><!-- mp_trans_add Doit avoir une boule d'attache de remorque de 4.76 cm ou 5.08 cm (1-7/8 po ou 2 po) pour un minimum de 2,268 kg (5,000 lb) --><!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->
    • <!-- mp_trans_remove_start -->Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height of 25"<!-- mp_trans_remove_end --><!-- mp_trans_disable_start --><!-- mp_trans_add Il ne faut pas que cela dépasse la hauteur maximale qui est admissible pour la boule d'attache de remorque, soit 63.5 cm (25 po).--><!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->
    • Must have external mirrors on both sides
    • Must have fully operational lighting
    • <!-- mp_trans_remove_start -->Maximum recommended speed is 55 MPH<!-- mp_trans_remove_end --><!-- mp_trans_disable_start --><!-- mp_trans_add La vitesse maximale qui est recommandée est de 88 km/h (55 mi/h)--><!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->
    • Load trailers heavier in front.
    • Reduce normal driving speed.
    • Wear a seatbelt.
    Notice the trailer weighs 2,210lbs!!!! OMG that's heavy. CTJ

2. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I've done, you've done it, everyone has. But what really is the big deal about doing an intro?

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I pulled a '46 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup from Buffalo, NY to Monroe, CT, almost 300 miles one way, using my '12 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with a 4.0L V6 and a 6 spd manual.

The trailer worked like a charm, truck never missed a beat. Yeah, it knew that there was a load back there, but it wasn't like I was thrashing it. I think my truck has a 7,000 towing limit, so I was well within it's rated capacity.

With fuel, I the total cost was around $300, including fuel and food stops, and it took a day. Was kinda fun too. Having satellite radio helps.

I'd tow it if I were you.

Chris

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have wondered about that too. What is the point of an self-introduction?

5. upspirate

upspirate

One thing to consider is terrain you'll be towing in.

The tow vehicle's weight is also a factor.

I just towed my 32 p/u with an Isuzu Trooper 3.5 L V-6 ,4400 lbs, no problem,but I didn't encounter any hilly or mountains towing from New Orleans to Tampa fl. I towed at 60 MPH

When I towed a 52 Chev from Mich to Fl with my 36 Chev p/u, It was a bitch,but that 36 was only 2900 LBS.....350 Chev had the power, but the tow vehicle didn't have the weight to make it stable through the mountains of Ky,Tn,& Ga. I truly believe if I didn't drive tractor trailer for a living,I would have rolled that rig.

Both tows were with U-haul trailers

Borrow a heavier tow vehicle if in doubt, but be safe.

6. Check with Bill's Auto Works he is hauling a model A cab for me and has great prices.

7. studebaker46

studebaker46

the dakota should be fine just dont try to run 70mph with it. as far as intro goes the same guys bitch all tghe time about intro and what is you hardly ever see a worthwile post about tech i always thought this hobby was about heiping.at least the goldchainers are polite iam done tom

8. Gentlemen, it is called courtsey. At the top of the "introduction" section, where it say's "Read This First", Ryan has asked that before you do anything else "Introduce yourself". It really doesn't matter why, does it?

9. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

OK, looks like I'm gonna do this myself. We finally scaled back to 8 hours at work, which means I get my 4 10s and a day off! So it looks like I will be going on a little adventure next week, weather permitting. :D

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Good Luck and remember; without pictures it never happened.

11. upspirate

upspirate

What way did you decide?Trailer I hope!

Good intro BTW;)

12. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah, my truck's not gonna like it but I'm pulling a trailer, several people had good points about flat towing something this old. And I will take pics, my last adventure out to Brooklyn NY for a bike turned out to be a bit "interesting", and fully documented! ;)

13. upspirate

upspirate

I used a U-Haul tow dolly local once (about 60 miles) and hated that!

We towed a 33 dodge p/u behind a 81 ElCamino...I don't know what the problem was,maybe weight of a 30's car with engine back & not over the axle, but it swayed real bad....45MPH max!!

Also I couldn't turn sharp or the running boards would crunch into the dolly fenders.

A friend towed a beautiful 56 Bel-Aire on one and crunched the fenders also

14. Towed my '37 Plymouth coupe on a U-haul trailer with a '91 Jeep Cherokee, inline 6 cylinder. U-haul didn't have a problem until they tried to input the '37 into the computer. They finally decided I was towing a Plymouth Belvidere, because that was the oldest Plymouth in the computer! No towing drama at all.

15. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Back in the late 80's I pulled a '68 Chevelle back from Marietta GA with a tow bar and my '84 F-150 shortbed with an inline six to Cleveland OH, was a loooooong ride and I went pretty slow up hills but I got it done. In hindsight I should have used the Chevelle to pull the truck back! :eek:

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Whatever you decide be sure to post the adventure here. We love drama so spice it up a bit if the trip goes off without a hitch.:)

Frank

17. charlieb66

charlieb66

If you are concerned about $600.00 haul fee to get the car home, have you considered the cost to get it on the road? Hot Rods aren't a cheap hobby.

18. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Trust me, I know. This isn't the first car I've bought that wasn't much more than a rolling shell. I just don't have a lot of extra money to throw around, and besides, I'm a cheap bastard! :D

19. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

One thing I forgot to mention, touched upon by others here...your truck MAY be able to tow that trailer at 70+ MPH, but you DON'T want to do it. When I was hauling the '46 Dodge back from Buffalo, the trailer started to sway back and forth over 65...it kinda snuck up on me the first time, and it was a scary as shit. Thankfully, it didn't sway too bad. I just took my foot off the gas and let everything slow down on it's own and the swaying stopped.

Let us know how you make out...

Chris

20. DRH

DRH

I hauled my 55 oldsmobile from dayton, Ohio all the way to akron on a dolley behind a 99 f150 with a 5.4 triton. I went and bought 2 rims and tires from the local pull a part because the tires on it were tubed wide whites from the mid 60s. Got home just fine, except the time it slipped into drive and the hydramatic was driving the motor for a short time :D all was good though.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I would strongly discourage flat towing that car with anything. I learned this the hard way doing a freebie favor for my ex brother-in-law. The heavy ass '56 Ford Effie swapped ends with my truck and took the entire bed side out of it.

The only negative about the U-haul trailer is some folks won't rent them to you if they don't think your vehicle can tow it. Some don't give a shit... but if your truck won't safely pull the weight the truck trailer combo is the way to go.

Remember it's more about being able to stop with that inertia pushing you than whether or not your truck can PULL the load.

Good luck!

22. Fenders

Fenders

maybe I missed it but didn't anyone mention that if you are flat towing the tow'd vehicle must be registered....

Or just throw a plate on it....

23. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Thanks guys, lotta good points here. Looks like I'm gonna make the road trip Thursday, hopefully by this time Thursday night I'll have a new addition in the driveway! :D

Gonna take it slow and steady. I drove a big truck for two years a while back so I'm no stranger to pulling a trailer, I learned a lot from that. I'll let you guys know how I make out. Wish me luck!! ;)

24. spooler41

spooler41

If you flat tow some thing not registered or plated, you can always get a trip permit.
    A trip permit usually only costs a few bucks and will allow you to to get down the road
    with out any problems. It's still better to put your new treasure on a trailer to have a safe trip.

..................Jack

25. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

OK, we made it! :D

Made the trip to Philly Thursday, about 19 hours of fun total, but we are back home and in one piece. Not too much drama, other than the truck driver that was falling asleep trying to pass me, twice! And almost running out of gas, my muffler falling off my truck, and playing beat-the-clock to get the trailer back on time. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and this jerk that tailgated me the entire way home!!

[​IMG]

The "little truck that could" actually did quite well on the trip, the trailer pulled nicely, and the only struggle was going up some of the mountains in PA.

[​IMG]

But we are home and happy, and the car that was saved from the scrap pile will have a new life here in Ohio. More tales to come!! :p

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Looks to be in pretty good shape. Glad you made it home safely.

27. Big thumbs up!

28. BobMcD

BobMcD

It does look pretty good. Keep us posted on your progress! Bob

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Glad you made it safely. That was a smart move, getting a U Haul trailer, I have probably rented so many of them I could buy one, but storing a trailer would be a problem (as well as trying to keep someone from stealing it) :mad:

Your new project really looks good, will make a great family cruiser.

Don

30. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Thanks guys. The body's in real good shape for a 73-year-old car, floors and interior are shot though. I've been trying to come up with some sources for repo parts, not having much luck yet though. She still has the original drivetrain in her and only 75,000 miles, just for shits and giggles I'm gonna see if I can bring that old flathead six to life :D