Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie question re gearbox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Terry, May 21, 2008.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Hi

Can anyone help me out with a simple question?

I'm hoping to drop this engine and box into my '41 chevy truck and want to know how to get the shifter sorted. I'm thinking that this box is for a column shift, right??? How can I convert it to shift through the floor like the stock 4-speed one I have on the back of my 216? Is there a kit available or am I barking up the wrong tree?

[​IMG]

Cheers guys,
    Terry

2. Just buy a Lokar shifter for it.....the 700R

3. Little Terry

Little Terry

Isn't that for an automatic transmission?

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Check the trans lenght, I think that later one is longer than what you have now. Floor shift conversion kits are still around for that problem.

6. Care to explain that a little further?

Like, maybe the Lokar shifter is easily adaptable to the trans shown?

Just tossing out off the wall info can cost someone a lot of money if it doesn't work out....

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Terry

Is you truck trans junk?

If not bolt it to this bellhousing.

Depending on which trans you have you may have to not only find a floor shift kit for the three but also a torque tube and on and on.....

There are many combinations ...... what size is your truck is it a US or export model?

8. Little Terry

Little Terry

I think my truck tranny is ok, but no synchros at all and 1st is pretty much useless as it's so low. I presumed this later one would have synchros on at least 2nd and 3rd??? and might make for easier driving. Also, as it's already bolted to the engine, I may be able to just drop the two in wholesale, bolt on a shifter kit and drive!!!

This is what is in the truck now:
    [​IMG]

It is a US spec 1/2 tonne truck. Totally stock with torque tube axle. The only thing I've done to it so far is put a '54 front axle under it for the bendix brakes.

I will eventually convert it to open drive rear and later transmission (T5 or similar), but for now just want to get it on the road for summer.

Terry

9. Little Terry

Little Terry

I think you might be right!

10. Pardon me ,I f**ked up,I thought he was going to use a 700R...Hurst shifters are still around for the Manual.....