Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie paint questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevpickup, Apr 5, 2010.

1. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

Hey Guys,

Ok so its coming time to paint my pickup. I have done small paint jobs before, but never anything so big, usually just flashes, dash / interiors and roofs.
    I am wanting to do a flat paint job, and digging the hot rod flatz colors. Ok so here come some dumb questions:
    1. My pickup is in primer, only a light coat and has been rubbed back to metal underneath. IS there a risk that not knowing what kind of primer it is if I lay color on top it might react badly with the existing primer? (i didnt spray it so I have no idea what was used!)

2. Its an AD chevy pickup - how much hot rod flatz am I gonna need to do this right?

Any other advice you can give me would be appreciated!

2. blt2go

blt2go

if the primer is fully cured you shouldn't have any problems. that said i would put proper coats of hardened urethane primer then sealer on it first. of course you will need to clean it and scuff it first. good luck.

3. roddinron

roddinron

I'm not a painter, I've only painted a few cars, but I wouldn't put paint over mystery primer. I'd seal it first with epoxy or something.

4. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

had a feeling that would be the case, thanks for the advice

5. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

yep seal it first and you should be good. I would say 3 quarts to a gallon mixed would be plenty to paint it. You can ask the supplier how much you will need. I have not used that paint before.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Definately get it all one kind of primer before you squirt it. Especially if you do a light color, with multi primers and bare metal you can end up with an ugly paint job.
    Do it right the first time, or do it again and again the wrong way

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

For the exterior maybe, i don't think I could cover that truck with a gallon even before reduction/activation if I was painting the inside of the bed, jambs, under the hood, etc.

An AD is not really big, but I sure hate the thought of running out of paint before I get any vehicle covered the way I want it covered.

8. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

I'd get atleast 2 gallons of the flatz,,,I've almost used a full gallon on my 64 truck and didnt jam it out or paint the bed yet

9. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

yeah I was kinda thinking it'd be better to have too much than not enough!

10. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

Ah crap I wasn't thinking about all the jambs and inside the cab and bed. You guys are right better get 2 gallons.

11. seank38

seank38
    from high river

If you use an HVLP 3 quarts unreduced should be plenty ,especially if you get a sealer matched to the color you are going to use . I would check the primer on the truck with a small amount of paint thinner on a rag to see if it lifts right away .(not the thinner from the hardware store, virgin thinner or gun wash) if it lifts i would sand it all off with a 320 or 400 grit paper and re prime. if the primer is solid i would start to sand with a 400 grit and finish in 600 and /or 800. The end result will only be as good as the preparation .

12. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

sounds like solid advice - didnt think to check the primer with thinner

13. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

if using a bright colored or metallic hot rod flatz. ull want to use a sealer. u want the vehicle one uniform color. that way the hot rod flatz covers evenly and nice and u dont have to keep pounding it on. u could even use a cheap 1k sealer like transtar if u had to.

14. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Agree with the advice above... WFIW, I painted my '29 with 3 good coats of Hot Rod Flatz blood red... i have a half gallon left over... Good luck!