Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Newbie here ,question about BB into a Desoto

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 57james, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 57james

57james

I have a 1953 Desoto Firedome ,that I want to put a 383 mopar in it ,looks to be a tight fit ,I think it will work ,I'll need a remote oil filter and a rear sump pan ,my question is are there any aftermarket mtr mount stands out there? has anybody done this swap? any pics of the mtr. mount set up?
    I hope I posted this in the right forum. (ps) the original hemi is long gone ,and I'm not interested in trying to find and build one ,I'm on a budget .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know anyone who has done this swap. But the 53 DeSoto used the same chassis as Chrysler and both were available with a V8 that year. The hemi was quite bulky especially the width across the cylinder heads. So the 383 should fit without too much trouble.

It sounds like you are doing some careful planning. I doubt there are ready made motor mounts. They are usually the least of your problems. In these swaps you spend half your time fitting engine and transmission and the other half fitting throttle linkage, gearshift linkage, wiring etc.

In your case you will need to change the rear axle to get one with handbrakes (DeSoto had theirs on the transmission). This will give you the opportunity to get rid of the old driveshaft too, it used obsolete universals you can't get anymore.

Which brings up another point. The drive shaft, universals and transmission may have value to a restorer or someone who runs an old DeSoto, Chrysler or Dodge. These parts are getting scarce. They don't have a lot of $$$ value but you could make someone's day if they are trying to keep their old Chrysler or DeSoto on the road.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 57james

57james

Ive already swapped in a 8.8 rear diff from an Explorer , same bolt pattern and more modern . also installed disc on the front from kit by Scarbird.

Rusty O'Toole and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I had a 56 chrysler and now have a 6i 440.
    The motor mount ears look pretty much identical.
    It might just bolt in?

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Do what Ma Mopar did. Offset the engine 1 1/2 inches to the pass side.
    Check Butch's Cool Stuff for mounts.

6. 57james

57james

I shouldn't have to off set the motor ,the steering box is on top the frame ,it originally had a Hemi in it ,the original mounts make the motor set to high.

7. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

The early Hemi ,Poly ,& LA small blocks mounts all fit the engines but frame location change on some. Would have made a easier swap. I'm guessing that you already have the 383.( Love that engine) Your going to need to wield frame mounts that's not bad if you have the engine brackets.