Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie header advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maximumslinky, Feb 2, 2012.

1. maximumslinky

maximumslinky
    from wyoming

My last thread got deleted because I wasn't very clear. This is not a Want To Buy thread. Im just asking for advice on what a good set of headers would be. They will be going on a rebuilt 350. I just don't have much experience with headers and don't know who makes a good pair. What would you guys use for this application?

2. Not enough info. The body/ frame/ suspension of the car are the biggest deciding factors on what particular set to use. As far as brand goes, they're all pretty good. Heddman, Hooker, Sanderson, etc.

3. maximumslinky

maximumslinky
    from wyoming

Sorry, its going in a '64 4 door impala with 3" drop springs. They all pretty well sound and perform the same, right?

4. When you buy, keep an eye on the flanges. Thicker is better.

5. No they don't all headers are not created equal. I would go with Heddman's or Hookers. Either one of those will fit well and they are a good quality header.

6. maximumslinky

maximumslinky
    from wyoming

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You will also need to know if you want four tube under chassis headers ( where the collector is behind the engine and connects to a flange that then goes to each exhaust pipe), or if you just want headers that go on the sides of the engine and a single pipe drops down from there on each side. The latter are generally called " Block Huggers" just because of that reason, they sit close to the block for clearance reasons.

If it were me I would call Summit or Jegs and tell them the application and see what they have available. One fly in the ointment might be the 3 inch drop which will limit space under the car, but with all the lowrider 64 Chevs running around I bet someone makes a header that will clear things.

As mentioned, not all headers are created equal. Cheapies can sometimes be a real pain to fit and require modifications, plus the tubes can be made from thin tubing that will not hold up well.

Don

Here, I did some quick internet snooping and these came up for your car.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...AirQQHedmanQQHeadersQQ19581964QQH5668230.html

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Go with some original ram horn exhaust manifolds...

9. If you want the best, I would go with Doug's D358
    [​IMG]

Not cheap, but quality never is. And you won't be buying another set in a year due to them having issues like a cheapo header.

10. Right on.. I am so anti-header after dealing with them for years. There is too much compromise for the little to no performance gained.

Bob