Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie from Norway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38nash, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Hi
    I am a 44 year old guy from Norway. I have a strong heart for old American cars generally, nothing sounds better than the sound of a V8.And as I live in a little town I Norway is not for sure you hear it every day. If I don’t go in my garage. [​IMG]
    I have restored american cars for 25 years as a hobby and have turned in to a lifestyle.
    But as the years I got more and more interested in Rods and customs.
    So I have now bought me a 1938 Nash with special history.This car hasn't been on the road since 1966.

On of the reasons I have wanted to buy an old Nash is that my fathers first car was a 1936 Nash 400 and I have been told that he was mighty proud of it.He passed away a year ago. So I’m building this car in memory of him.

History.
    This car was used as a ambulance in Kirkenes ,Finnmark state in Norway during world war II, and there was almost any house left in this town when the war was over.
    In 1944 the chief of Finnmark state (that I have Heard was and Nazi) stole the car and droved to south Norway with it.2200KM on bad roads.
    In 1946 a farmer in South Norway tried to license the car, but since the car was announced stolen, the original owners get it back.
    Here is a picture of the original owner with his son and daughter in 1947.
    [​IMG]

This Picture is from 1958.
    [​IMG]

Today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 63 Impala SS.
    [​IMG]

Sorry , but my english writing isn't the best.
    Regards
    Per Arne

2. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Great story! Keep us updated as you hot rod it.
    I love the '66 Chevelle behind the Impala. Oh yeah, the Impala is a beauty too.

3. long island vic

long island vic

welcome.. always liked those nashs and wt history thats great....i deal with an importer from your way [email protected] nice guy, you might even know him..if you need stuff sent over maybe we can work it out vic

4. Welcome neighbour!

What did strike me was the 56 Chevy. That car was owned by a friend of mine in the early 80´s, it was sold to Norway in the mid 80´s to Norway. I think the car has been on the HAMB before (several years ago) but here is another photo of it.

Attached Files:

5. Great story,,,,,,,and don't be concerned about your English,,,It appers better than mine and I have lived in the states my entire life! [​IMG]

Now ,,it would help if you filled in your profile,,at least the city where you live.

The Nash will make a nice ride and the Impala is very nice! HRP [​IMG]

Oh,yeah...the tag on the Impala say's 409,,,,is this a special tag denoting the car indead does have a 409 engine?

6. [ QUOTE ]

welcome.. always liked those nashs and wt history thats great....i deal with an importer from your way [email protected] nice guy, you might even know him..if you need stuff sent over maybe we can work it out vic

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. I really appreciate it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Welcome neighbour!

What did strike me was the 56 Chevy. That car was owned by a friend of mine in the early 80´s, it was sold to Norway in the mid 80´s to Norway. I think the car has been on the HAMB before (several years ago) but here is another photo of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks
    I continued building this car in the early 60’s style .Cal custom valve covers and scoop, old racing emblems and so on. Also old american racing wheels.I don’t have it any more. I believe it’s I Southern Norway no.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

your english writing is just fine,welcome to the hamb-george

9. [ QUOTE ]
    Great story,,,,,,,and don't be concerned about your English,,,It appers better than mine and I have lived in the states my entire life! [​IMG]

Now ,,it would help if you filled in your profile,,at least the city where you live.

The Nash will make a nice ride and the Impala is very nice! HRP [​IMG]

Oh,yeah...the tag on the Impala say's 409,,,,is this a special tag denoting the car indead does have a 409 engine?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hi
    Sorry but its only a 305 engine in it.so the license plate is more reflecting my dream's.
    This car have been in Norway since 1970 and had different styles thru the years.
    Picture from 1981.
    [​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Welcome to the HAMB. Very nice intro. Great story, including photos. I love the dash on the Nash. Please keep us updated on the buildup. Again, welcome to the HAMB.

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Welcome !!! From Texas !!!

12. GRADY

GRADY

Welcome from North Dakota....
    cool story...sweet cars

13. Thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    History.
    This car was used as a ambulance in Kirkenes ,Finnmark state in Norway during world war II, and there was almost any house left in this town when the war was over.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Some more info.
    This car was bought new by a private person in the town Kirkenes in 1938, but when the war started the state of Finnmark took it and used it as an ambulance.
    And I whished that this car could have talked.

When the Germans was evacuating /running from Kirkenes they set fire on all the housed that was still standing, so the Russian who were on their way, shouldn’t have any place to stay.

14. sgary

sgary

[Sorry but its only a 305 engine in it.so the license plate is more reflecting my dream's.]

You don't have to appologize for anything.The 305 is a grest engine,especially since your gas prices are high.
    The Impala is sweet.

15. repoguy

repoguy

Cool story & intro.

Welcome.

16. welcome,that impala looks straight as an arrow!soo,how many hours of daylight do you have up there this time of [​IMG] year?

17. [ QUOTE ]
    welcome,that impala looks straight as an arrow!soo,how many hours of daylight do you have up there this time of [​IMG] year?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks
    It's about 4 hours with daylight.Not to much. [​IMG]

18. Zodoff

Zodoff

Oh nooooo,not another one one of those norwegians.... [​IMG]

Welcome 38.
    Now,put the nash on the ground,make a full custom of it..

And Rpw,youre right. I seem to remember that 38nash has been here before,as "norvegian carnut" or something..
    The same thing about the chevy was discussed then. [​IMG]

19. LOUDpipes

LOUDpipes
    from Finland

Hi
    In other post you needed some ispiration in form of 4 D rides. How about a Nash with 454 BB. Actually the whole car is an Impala in disquise. Sorry about the lousy pics but it is soooooo fast.....

Attached Files:

20. Sailor

Sailor

Velkommen ombord (again)? Nice Impala.

In my family we had a 1938 McLaughlin Buick which the german occupants also took during ww2. It was found again in Bergen after the war and my great grandfather got it back. It was sold in the fifties and I wonder where it went.

Speaking of german requsitions during ww2; my house is also from 1938. When in process of rebuilding the loft a month or so ago I found a bunch of magazineclips to a german MP40 submachinegun... [​IMG]

21. [ QUOTE ]
    Oh nooooo,not another one one of those norwegians.... [​IMG]

Welcome 38.
    Now,put the nash on the ground,make a full custom of it..

And Rpw,youre right. I seem to remember that 38nash has been here before,as "norvegian carnut" or something..
    The same thing about the chevy was discussed then. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks
    I had some messesage with member name brakan about a year ago.(?) At the old board. But I didn’t remember my password and server never sent me a new on, so I had a new registration.But that’s ok.
    I was picking up my Nash about 2 months ago. I haven’t done so much yet, bought some parts for it and are now trying to locate the license papers/Title for it.

22. [ QUOTE ]
    Hi
    In other post you needed some ispiration in form of 4 D rides. How about a Nash with 454 BB. Actually the whole car is an Impala in disquise. Sorry about the lousy pics but it is soooooo fast.....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hi loudpipes
    That car looks awesome, but you people from Finland is known to be the best custom builders on our side of the Atlantic Ocean. [​IMG]
    Do you have more pics of it, if you have you could send them by email to me. [email protected]
    Is it your car.

23. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Welcome aboard! Great story and pictures. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, as the Nash seems to have acquired a bit of "patina" over the years. Probably nothing a little lutefisk can't fix, though [​IMG] Please keep us informed on your progress.

24. [ QUOTE ]
    Welcome aboard! Great story and pictures. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, as the Nash seems to have acquired a bit of "patina" over the years. Probably nothing a little lutefisk can't fix, though [​IMG] Please keep us informed on your progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks
    It’s indeed the season now for lutefisk and akkevitt.
    [​IMG]
    I am going to keep the patina on the dash and window frames. There have to be something left from 1938.
    [​IMG]

25. Rolf

Rolf

Välkommen from an emigrated Swede. Nice cars, keep us posted on your hot rod build.

26. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Hei og velkommen kjære landsmann.

Pål

27. [ QUOTE ]
    [

[/ QUOTE ]

My late father came over from Norway in 39.

He was big on lutefisk and akkevitt. I have enjoyed some akkevitt on occasion but I'll pass on the lutefisk.

Dad told me that before the war Norwegian police use Harly Davidson motor cycles. I wounder if there is a forgotten cave somewhere up a fjord holding hundreds of bikes hidden by the underground. Naw.

28. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [

[/ QUOTE ]

My late father came over from Norway in 39.

He was big on lutefisk and akkevitt. I have enjoyed some akkevitt on occasion but I'll pass on the lutefisk.

Dad told me that before the war Norwegian police use Harly Davidson motor cycles. I wounder if there is a forgotten cave somewhere up a fjord holding hundreds of bikes hidden by the underground. Naw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi
    Most of the motorcycles back then was used as daily drivers and was very popular, because the ordinary man in Norway couldn’t buy a new car before 1962 I think. So because of that motor cycles was very popular and many was driven to the bitter end. [​IMG]
    But as long as there are old sheds standing, there also will be someone finding old motorcycles.
    But I don’t think there are too many left.
    Were in Norway was your father from.
    [​IMG]

29. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

The whole year, every year ......is season for akevitt.

It's a gift from God.

sorry for the OT comment

30. [ QUOTE ]
    The whole year, every year ......is season for akevitt.

It's a gift from God.

sorry for the OT comment

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
    Cold beer and aquavit. [​IMG]
    Don’t need any Christmas food.
    [​IMG]