Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patman, Feb 9, 2010.

1. patman

patman

Hypothetical question: Let's say I build a '29 A on '32 rails with a '67 327 SBC. When I go to get this thing registered what year is it tagged as? (I know, this is going to vary state-to-state, but...looking for the general idea here...) Just to complicate things more, what happens if I use an aftermarket frame with no VIN?

a) 29
    b) 32
    c) 67
    d) 2010 (or year of construction/registration)
    e) just buy a 'historical document' and stamp that vin on the frame and be done with it, nobody will know the difference.
    f) none of the above

2. Clik

Clik

Here's the deal straight from Maryland's MVA:

Historic:
    • To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
    • A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
    • Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passenngers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).
    Street Rod:
    • To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
    • Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportati [​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So far we've been able to throw old bodies on S-10 frames and register them as the year of the body with no inspections.

Questionable stuff may require a trip to the MVA home office in Glen Burnie where they have a garage and investigators who look your vehicle over. They don't seem to concerned over old stuff but Corvettes get the mirror treatment for hidden serial numbers, etc. They are mostly looking for stolen vehicles. I can appreciate that.

There's no inspection for Historic or Street Rod and open wheeled T-buckets and the like are OK as weekenders or special events.

People who run into problems (and cause them for the rest of us) are the ones who get Historic plates to avoid inspection and drive to work everyday.

If you drive your 88 Ford pick-up with Historic plates to work everyday you can expect to be pulled over and questioned.

3. inkmunky

inkmunky

g) check with your states laws to find out the answer that won't get your car impounded when you're driving it and no way of getting it out b/c of "forged" vin numbers :D

seriously though i've searched this dozens of times and every state seems to have different and varying laws concerning specially constructed vehicles. Especially if you're using an aftermarket frame. Some may say just get a document and stamp the numbers but i personally wouldn't unless checked first.

4. inkmunky

inkmunky

Clik lotsa good info... but he's from New Hampshire, Maryland statutes don't really apply haha