Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie 283 build

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Stefan Charles, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stefan Charles

Stefan Charles

Hey there
    name's Stefan & from northern California, about 40 minutes north of SF. new to the forums here. I have spent quite some time looking over threads as a non-member and the time has come to sack up and get some solid advice.

I own a 64' c10 shortbed fleet side in which I have a 283 sbc, single rochester 2bbl, and I am building another motor for the truck at school. This is my first time building a sbc & I fortunately have a watchful eye to guide me through the journey. i also need some advice on choosing parts.

it's a '59 283 bored 40 over, 2 main bolt, corvette casting. I'm going to be running the 283 power pack heads (1.71 intake), forged small journal crank. wondering what the best choice of cam could be for this motor? i'm wanting to run around 500-600 cfm for carb, ram horn manifolds. truck has 3.73 gears mated to a granny 4 speed. great for pulling stumps. i may swap to a tranny that has a usable 1st gear down the road

I'm looking for a streetable cam, and heard of the duntov 097. also considering what they call an RV cam. thoughts? advice? anything is appreciated. thank you much

Stefan