Register now to get rid of these ads!

newb wants to learn about bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyguy469, Jul 28, 2008.

1. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

can you help me out, give me some history on hot rods, and tell me about bonneville, im 17 years old and new to this stuff and wanna get my shit straight, plus im eager to learn, so please give advice where it can be helpful

thanks much

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Get a rule book. Join BNI. Read everything in the program they send. Check the results against the program to see what some cars did. Try Maxton and ECTA with your street or race car if you can.

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

search here for Bonneville. Lots of history with the folks on here. To really understand its magic you really need to go.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search for landspeedracing

5. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

If you want to see what is involved, many teams now have websites which are really telling. Check out http://salt2salt.com for a diary sort of site showing my team from its inception thru running for records on the salt to get the flavor. After hanging in the pits during speedweek, carshows just seem like kids playing "dress-up".......
    Greg

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Vintage car mags are a great starting point. Hot Rod Annuals from the the early '60s are a good one-stop shop for knowledge.

Read every post on the HAMB.

NICE truck, by the way.

Welcome.

-Brad

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

Everybody has to start somewhere. Read what you can on the internet or in books. Pick up a copy of Rod and Custom, or Hot Rod magazine. Speed Weeks is every August. There should be some pictures and articles by the October or November issue, but both have on-line websites. Young folks today don't get to learn about Bonneville the way I did -- from articles in the "Weekly Reader" (yes, I'm really that old). I'm going out to Utah to see it myself for the first time in a cuppla weeks. Finally, rent the DVD "The World's Fastest Indian", and sit back and enjoy.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I've been there for just a couple hours during speed week several years ago. This year I'm going for several days. see you there, eh?

9. skidsteer

skidsteer

Squirrel, looking forward to it, will you make the HAMB 'Meet and Greet' on Tuesday?

10. squirrel

squirrel

It's highly possible.

11. Welcome back Squirrel, we've missed you.
    HemiDeuce.