Register now to get rid of these ads!

New York Historical car inspection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller, Sep 3, 2013.

1. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...Cars in New York with "Historical Plates" are these required to have a inspection done every year?...I checked the NYS DMV site and could not find the answer to the question......Thanks in advance for info Miller

2. historynw

historynw

Yes an inspection is required. I have 3 cars all with either vintage or historic plates.

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Yes an annual safety inspection. No emissions. Lights must all work, brakes must be within spec, e brake must hold car while stopped, horn must work, front end components no obvious looseness, tires 2 32nds minimum, rear plate illuminated, no visible gas leaks. no windshield cracks, no pits larger than a dime within the sweep of the windshield wiper.

They do grand father in stuff that was not on the car when built. No signals required pre 49, single rear stop light ok till 50 or so if made that way, no seatbelts if not originally equipt.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm

4. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the replies and info....Miller

5. Styleliner

Styleliner

Any other states doing this??

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

So far nobody has told me of any benefits to having a historical plate in NY, as far as I know you still have to pay the same registation / inspection fees.

7. I think the only benefit is being able to run YOM plates.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

and the insurance is usually less expensive.

9. There is no benefit to ANYTHING in NY!! This is one fucked up money grabbing state.-MIKE:mad:

10. elba

elba

No inspection on any cars in Bama and most southern states. Ohio too

11. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I think YOM plates are treated like personalized plates..yearly fee on top of registration fee.
    I run regular passenger plates on all my cars, I think the historical plates have a mileage restriction and no benefits. My insurance on the old stuff is all Hagarty, I dont think they care about the plates.

12. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Same mileage restriction with historical plates. That restriction comes from insurance though, I don't think the state cares about the miles.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

No extra charge for YOM, flat fee ($18.50) annual registration rather than 2 year registration based on weight.(50 bucks and up) Inspection fee 10 bucks instead of 20+.

Hey Mike is it really that bad or are you just cranky from living near Buffalo and putting up with the Bill's and Sabres every year??????????????

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Mike, I see where you are coming from............Last I looked state borders were still open with no paper work checks. Kidding!!

16. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

The Historical plates might be cheaper, but they don't want you using the car for anything other than shows and parades. I'd stay away from them myself.