Register now to get rid of these ads!

New York City? Get a rope!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wannabewannabe, May 14, 2007.

1. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

It's been almost a year since I posted, having moved away from the Bay Area in California to Brooklyn. Just finished my first year of law school, and I am in some serious automotive withdrawal. Walking the streets and riding the subways has given me a dire case of the car DTs.

In any event, I was curious to know if there's really any regular HAMBy-type scene here in NYC. Without a car, I'm stuck riding public transit to get to it, so don't tell me about stuff way out in Jersey or upstate because you'll just depress me.

Help a poor, carless schmo out!

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I swear, I don't know how those in Manhattan can stand being surrounded by people and buildings 24-7 with no need for vehicles.
    All the prestige and money in the world would never satisfy my desire to have open spaces and a way to get around on my own.
    I feel for ya.

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

AMEN, Bruthuh, and Hallelujah....

4. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    wannabe x 2,
    I'm in cenral NJ, about 45 minute train ride (NJ Transit) from Manhattan. We have cruise nites out here every nite of the week. If you want to get a hit of some car shows to off-set the car withdrawal, lemme know. Come out on the train, I'll pick you and drop you back at the train, no bigee.
    Also, you should check in with the Rumblers (www.rumblersnyc.com). Their show in August (in Brooklyn, by the way) is one of the shows not to be missed.

Dave
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. long island vic

long island vic

get on the LIRR babylon branch on friday ,,get off at bellmore it starts about 6.00 and runs till 10 11

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just to make you feel bad, you could see the building of the Kopper Kart.

in NEW JERSEY!

Trains into Jersey (even the shore area) are a good way to fly!

Seriously, we work most weekends (only break for GOOD car shows). PM me for details.

7. xadamx

xadamx

Like Dave said...the Rumblers always seem to have something going on, and I am sure a few of them(at least) live in the 5 boroughs. Not a lot of space to own or build customs or hot rods right in the city...unless you have a ton of money. The LIRR, NJ Transit, and Metro North aren't TOO pricey, you may have to go on an adventure! Good luck!

8. There is plenty of action in this are. I agree with everyone about the Rumblers, there is a weekly cruise night in Somerville, NJ on Friday. Bunch of nice stuff. If you can get a ride there are the drag strips out in Western NJ.
    Not to mention all the other car shows, Greenwich Concours is coming up the first weekend in June, Scarsdale is a week later (I think).

And that all said, if you need a fix you can come out to central NJ, and I'll drive you around.

Oh, and the AHRF is in NYC, no store front, but Henry has a killer 32 Sedan.

9. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll see what I can do to get out to acruise or two this summer.

10. TheBirdman

TheBirdman

11. litemupok

litemupok

i'm debating a move to the big apple...or somewhere close. i know a few of you guys are in the area around there, and i'd like to know how you guys take care of your cars. how often you drive them, where you keep them, how safe it is, how expensive it is, etc.

I understand certain areas are better than others, and i'm open to all possibilities. the main thing keeping me away from there is the lack of car interest. I know its there, and i know its possible, its just that i dont know where to look or who to get in touch with so that i can get involved.

Just looking for opinions. All the help will be greatly appreciated.

based on the above posts, the rumblers is a good starting point, as well as trying to head out to jersey.

any other help?

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Serious? Its a ton of $. Expect for an apartment, a small 1 bedroom, to pay $2k/mo at the LOW side. Pack of smokes is $8. Drink at the bar is $5 to skys the limit. Everything is expensive.

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Bear Mountain Cruise Wed night. About 40 minutes up the Palisades Parkway just after you go over the George Washington Bridge. All types of cars. Do a search on the HAMB

14. long island vic

long island vic

Move To Long Island,,,theres Room Always A Car Gig Going On, And The Lirr Gets You To Mid Town In A Half Hour

15. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I lived in downtown Manhattan for 8 years (1984-92) and had no problem finding car events to participate in. When I lived there, I kept my old cars stored in Connecticut and took the 45 minute Metro North commuter train from Grand Central Station in NYC to the Stamford Connecticut train station, then walked about five minutes to my garage and from there could jump in an old car and drive about anywhere. Loads of car activities for all types of old cars in Westchester County New York, Southern Connecticut, and of course, all up and down the New England States. Even if you don't go to a car event just driving around that area is absolutely amazing. Absolutely no shortage of picture perfect country roads going through small towns. Often times I would actually take my 1912 Model T (original) and drive it into Manhattan. It was great car to cross the bridges in!

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

New York's alright if you like saxaphones.

17. You can also move to the Jersey side of the river, though rent near right around the city can get expensive.

Plenty of things to do. Its about 5 hours to DC, Boston or the Latimore Fairgrounds. GZ said it though you could live in NYC and park your car outside the city, and go almost anywhere.

18. teddyp

teddyp

there a ton of things to do in brooklyn and a small train ride will get you to jersey or long island just watch the hamb for up coming events

19. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">litemepok,
    Like I tell my friends in the 'burbs of OkeCity (who happen to live in Arcadia, Jones, and Moore), NYC is a neat place to visit, but don't even think about living there. I can't imagine getting a nice apt for less than $2,500/month.
    NJ, Long Island, Staten Island, Conn are good places to look. Granted our cruise/show season isn't 12 months, but there is a ton of things going on (NJ, NY, Pa, Conn, Md).
    It's a 50 min train ride into NYC from where I am. I know people who spend over an hour on a subway riding into Manhattan from Brooklyn...
    It's important to do your homework before making such a move and there are plenty of people on the HAMB that would be happy to help with info.

Dave
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

20. litemupok

litemupok

well the real situation is that my girlfriend will be moving there next summer for sure and then possibly stay. i just graduated college this past April and i'd like to go with her. but like i said earlier, the car thing is the problem.

i'm cool with keeping the cars at a different place, and i'm also alright with living in jersey. she thinks long island is to far though.

this is a BIIIIG help as i had almost determined that it couldn't be done and that either they'd stay here or i would stay here.

if there are any more ideas/suggestions...keep 'em comin. i emailed the rumblers car club to get their input and help as well.

21. litemupok

litemupok

well buddy, i think we'll be in touch then. Because she's set on going and I'm set on staying with her. And seeing as how my cars are my only drawback, it sounds like it could actually work.

I'm definitely not opposed to doing my homework and having my stuff straight before i pack it all up. The Do's and Dont's are what i need to hear about.

22. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

Take the path train over to jersey city (newport exchange place). My shop is only about a mile walk from there. I am about to start working on a 37 ford truck. Or just try to come over one saturday head out to the whiskey cafe in lyndhurst. Always a good showing.

23. Doesn't Metro North go right up past Rhinebeck? Several events there a year.

Given you can ride a train in 4 directions out of the NY area 45 minutes or so and be in as rural of an area as you want (particularly if you go up the old Erie towards Middletown), I'd sure want to do that for my commute. Not only that but depending on what direction you want to go there's two or three options for rail lines to commute on.

The only advantage I see to going into Jersey is the gas is liable to be a lot cheaper (my last trip down that way, around $2 even in NJ, close to $3 where NY-17/I86 splits off the toll portion of the Thruway).

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Law school? Are you fuckin retarded?

Lots of stuff going on in NJ man. Whiskey Cafe is a good draw every saturday night, as is Somerville on Friday night.