Register now to get rid of these ads!

New with yet another 54

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by thistle, Apr 21, 2010.

1. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

New guy here who has been using the HAMB for the past year to keep my ride on the road. My wife and I have always been into hot rod bobber motorcycles and then two years ago we managed to have a daughter who has made it tought to get much riding time in together. We began to miss hot rodding around on the bike together and wanted to include our new kid in the Kulture so the '54 chevy we had been talking about for years seemed like a good way to do it. We bought a two door 150 one year ago and trailered it home about 800+ miles. Quickly went through the motor, drum brakes, and three speed to get her rolling. spent about eight months driving on days when we knew we had time to break down and finally got her dependable enough to drive about four days out of every week. We live at least 20 miles from anywhere and our car is giving us some great cruising time but of course we are learning (mostly through the hamb) about modifications that will hopefully make it dependable enough to be a near daily driver. We plan to keep the stovebolt and modify it for performance.. Lower all the way around using the original (soon to be modified) front suspention. Disks up front... T-5 trans to an s-10 4x4 rear. It may be a few years in the making, but so far we have been at it while keeping it on the road as often as possible. It's been a great experience so far greatly due to the wealth of knowledge that you folks share. We both want to thak you all for the help that you don't even know you've given us so far with our ride and we look forward to meeting you on the road.

2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

welcome from socal.roger

3. Tin Can

Tin Can

welcome, where in IL are you located?

4. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Welcome to the HAMB

5. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

I am located in central IL just west of Bloomington.

6. Welcome from New Zealand. Hot rodding is a family-friendly hobby (my late son used to love riding in one of our cars and hangin' with the crew, especially when he was very young) and I'm sure you'll find a lot of knowledgeable folk here who can help you with your build.

BTW, I have a sidecar that my grandkids (inherited from a relationship I've had for years) have loved riding in since they were toddlers, which may be an option for you, too...

7. welcome from MN
    I also have a 53 150 put 10k on it last year great cars

8. 117harv

117harv

Welcome to the HAMB, post some pics of your ride on your profile page.

9. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

The sidecar is a great idea for the future. The little one loves riding in the car as much or more than we do so hopefully we will be able to keep this something we enjoy together for a long time. thanks for the reply.

10. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how. I have only used the HAMB search functions so far. The '54 is nothin special to look at just yet but she's ours and is definately has potential.

11. Hi thistle, welcome from Scotland, I have to admit,your 'handle' drew me to your post.
    Sounds like a good project you got there.

BTW How did you decide on your name? Are there any Scottish connections?
    Just curious.......

12. Welcome, look forward to seeing some pictures!

13. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

Thanks for the replies guys... I get to the pics soon. Scotbolt, I do have connections as my grandparents were all of Scots-Irish and Native heritage from Appalacia. So I'm no purebred but there is a connection. My mom taught me about the toughness of the thistle and my wife and I used it as our wedding flower and now we use it as ornamentation around our house. It will survive wherever it can set it's roots... Just like our people. I guess that's how I choose my handle... Not quite as creative as Scotbolt. No that one will be easy to remember. Thanks for the interest.

14. Thanks thistle,It's always good to hear folks keeping in touch with their roots.
    You say you're no purebred, but you've come from good stock! ;)

Good luck with the Chevy.

15. rockguy92

rockguy92

Welcome from O-HI-O
    The Rock

16. Kool49

Kool49

Thistle welcome , lots of good guys on here youll get addicted quick. Need to see that 54 (pics) lol . Anyway im only about a hour south of you maybe well run into each other at one of the shows/swap meets coming up. I know your planning on coming down to Decatur for the Hunnert car pile up arent you ?

17. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

I didn't realise the pile up was scheduled to be in Decatur. That should be easy enough to get to. Thanks for the heads up. You're right about the HAMB addiction. I check in here constantly.. Lots of great info. I'll try to figure out picture posting sometime today. Thanks for the reply and hope to run in to you at one of the local events.