Register now to get rid of these ads!

New with a ‘27 Essex

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Motor City Mechanic, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Hi there,
    I’ve been reading all over the forum for a while with the dream of a chopped model a sedan. This has recently changed as I have just inherited a 1927 Essex. The car has sentimental value to the family so I’ll be looking for a restore instead of chopping it up but I’m new to working on antique cars. I’ve worked on all my daily drivers (late models) and am good at electronics, etc but I’m just now trying to learn the in’s and outs of the old school. I’m a young guy with a family but I’ve got a torch and a readiness to read.

The car was my wife’s grandfather’s and he bought it because it was made the same year he was. He drove it around with his wife until he got sick in the late 80’s. It’s been garaged since but it hasn’t run and the paint is flaking off allowing for surface rust. The interior is still really nice and all the pieces and glass are still intact. My plan is to first get it to drive around the block and then long term restore as a tribute to the family. Hopefully I can find enough info and make enough parts work to keep this idea going. Wish me luck!

classiccarjack likes this.
  2. Welcome,and post some pictures.Address the paint issue.

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome from Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. I don’t have a picture of it currently but here it is back in the day when it was driven.

Attached Files:

badshifter likes this.

5. Here are a couple shots in its current state.

Attached Files:

6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Looks like you are beginning your adventure with a really nice complete and sound car. My best advice is to take your time, don't ever rush, and if you dismantle anything, take lots of pictures.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Surely there is a national Essex group with an online forum although I have found on some of these groups replies come slow on the forums. Google is your friend in finding the groups or for searching for parts.
    Good luck, Jim