Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New wheels for the roadster...!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Just to switch things up a bit,I ordered a set of American Rebel Sprint wheels for the '28 to have an alternative to the steelies...I've never owned a car that didn't have at least two sets of wheels.

Nice USA made wheels,these are 16x5's and 16x8 Trick's so by taking a 10" center,it makes the windows appear deeper and the backspace is only 2.25".

Will mock them up on one side tomorrow while I await the tires to arrive at Andy's Tire & Wheel in South SF and then I'll take a buzz up there and have them mount & balance...the tires are in TN having the sidewalls shaved.

Tell me what you guys think,I resisted the urge to go full polish which would look fine on a gloss black roadster...but it's just not my style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always preferred the raw finish on the centers as well. Can't wait to see them on!

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

4. Thanks guys,glad you agree...more mock up pics tomorrow!

5. They look great! :)

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Awaiting mock up pics :cool:

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

8. Thanks guys...got them out in the garage now and will get them on the car...pictures to follow!

9. Yes sir,the as cast finish always looks good. HRP

lothiandon1940 and 40fordtudor like this.
  10. Well here we are mocked up on one side,major PITA to get the last lug nut on the rear to seat,still can't get it...the wheel guy thinks maybe the stud is tweaked but they work fine with the steelies so who knows...will try the other side now and see how that goes.

Real happy with the look though and so glad I resisted the urge to go polished...well I didn't really resist anything because me no likey shiny wheels.

What do you guys think...?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4.5" is the tightest spot between the body and the wheel,tires should tighten that gap nicely:
    [​IMG]

11. Drive'em

Drive'em

Oh crap, they look soooo cool. How I gotta get a set for my 29. Love the cast look with the polished edge.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right on.
    Those are nice wheels.
    Include tire sizes on next installment.

13. Yeah,they come with a satin lip or full polished so I had him polish the lips for me...

14. brady1929

brady1929

They look great

15. That part...was not easy!
    I'm staying with another set of Stahl Excelsior Sport Radials in front in a 5.00R16 which I currently have on my steelies.
    On the rear,I went with a similar tread pattern Michelin 265/75R16 that are currently at Diamond Back tires in TN getting all the sidewalls shaved or smoothed of all the lettering so they'll look even more matched...both sides of the fronts and the outsides of the rears.

This was my first tire & wheel combo...of many,trust me...where the tires ended up costing more than the wheels,lol.

16. I agree. As-cast mags have a more serious, race car look. :cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. My thoughts exactly...as-cast wheels give it that tougher,competition look...and that's what I've always had on my cars.
    I finally got all the lug nuts on,nothing was tweaked or bent,just a little more force was all that was needed.

So very happy with the look of these wheels,can't wait for tires now!

18. belair

belair

What-so you bought the wheels and can't afford the tires? These pics don't count. Great looking wheels, btw.

clem likes this.
  19. LOL...

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You made a good choice with those wheels! You can try rotating that rear wheel so the hole lines up with a different stud and see if it is the same stud that is the problem or if it is the same hole that is off. Then you have the answer of which is the problem and can get it corrected.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been down that road myself, a combination of mag shank lug nuts on the high side of dimension and the wheel Mfg. making the lug holes slightly tight, as well as a stud
    pressed into the axle flange slightly askew once, you might call it the perfect storm.
    Not sure if this is how you remedied your problem, for others that may have this happen;
    by starting all the lugs on the studs and then pulling the wheel out evenly on the lugnut shanks, then drawing the wheel on evenly has helped me.
    One more thing and I say this from experience, use oil on the shank and DO NOT use a lug gun whether air or electric, because aluminum will gall on chrome---not a pretty sight.

22. Yes,certainly starting the lugs and then pulling on the wheel to center the holes on the shank is how I always did it back in the day with shank-style lugs but...it was no help here.
    I ended up rotating the wheel and with a little more force,I was able to seat them all properly and yes...I never use anything except my hand ratchet and a good quality torque wrench.

23. I did call my wheel guy after the first round of battle and he said they're all drilled by CNC and should be exact and he was right...

24. Bump...in case you missed it.
    These will be EPIC I do feel...now where are my damn tires,lol?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Very cool. I'm just about to order some of there trick 8's with the same finish for a project. Cool to see 'em.

26. Copy cat,lol! Great choice...

27. Johnny99

Johnny99

Very nice!

Mine just arrived two weeks ago. 15 X 8 & 15 X 4.5. Nice quality wheel, and I really like to see that big MADE IN USA! A simple change of wheels can take a car from "lets go on a picnic" to "lets hold up a liquor store". Your roadster looks fantastic. A trick I've used in the past with a stubborn wheels with shank type lug nuts - chamfer the "pilot" end of the lug nut a bit, helps guide the lug in to the hole. Some manufacturers put a decent chamfer on their lugs, others not so much. I like to put a small dollop of anti seize on the shank too.

John

28. Thanks for the advice man,will do on the anti-seize because those shanks are a tight fit.

Let's see some pictures of your wheels!

29. In preparation of the new wheels I did a little painting...I free-handed the front drums since you can't see beyond the break point and I matched the rear drums in gloss black which will look best behind the windows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]