Register now to get rid of these ads!

New wheels, can I buy American?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Wishbone, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I have been trying to find some used wheels for my F-1 project, but so far I'm not having any luck. Is there anyone out there that makes a decent looking nostalgia wheel like a torque thrust or aluminum slot or rocket/cragar type wheel that is made in the USA? I REFUSE to buy an American (Chinese) Racing Wheel, or anything else made in China, Pakistan, Mexico or otherwise. If you Dudes can't help me out, I'm on jackstands until I find some old ones. Thanks,

John

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

If your set on cast aluminum your choices are really limited. Real Rodders Wheels, Radirs , Vintagewheelus.com makes wheels for Cobras. Even a lot of the old ones were made on Japan, Taiwan, etc.

Billet are made in the US but you don't want to go that route.

3. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Thanks, I kinda like the Radirs, but not sure how they would look on the truck. I know USA made wheels are going to be pricy, but I just cant bring myself to knowingly but chinese wheels for a 60 year old truck. I was hoping Rocket wheels were made here, but I doubt it.

John

4. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Have a look at Stockton Wheel. They have some nice aluminum wheels. Not sure if they are made in the USA, but a quick email can answer that.

5. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Don't know if they ever made anything like you're looking for, but Pacer wheels were made in the US. At least my Supremes were. I don't think they're in business anymore, but can find them used for cheap. I payed $100 for my set.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

You might want to do a search on The HAMB, about Stockton Wheels, before buying anything from them. They have a bad reputation on here, and they deserve it.

7. Commando66

Commando66

8. 1929rats

1929rats

man, I was in the same boat as you about 3 years ago...I just couldnt buy an A.R.E. when they are made in china ---- realrodderswheels.com is your answer.

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

No swapmeets around you have them? Pretty good selection around here.
    Don't know what bolt pattern ur using, but we couldn't giveaway 5 on 5 1/2 not
    long ago

10. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I have a few swap meets coming up around here, I bought 4 15x5.5 wheels I thought to be 4.5" bolt circle, but instead turned out to be 4.25" bolt circle, I re-drilled them only to find out the 2 I drilled were bent. Not sure about the other 2 yet, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Thanks for all the info guys, I will get me some wheels one way or another.

11. Actually if it was made in Mexico it was made in America, as a matter of fact it was made it North America just not the United States of America, although if made in Mexico you could still say that the product was made in the United States if you really wanted to its just that it would be the United States of the Republic of Mexico. Its just a shame we didn't pay more attention in Geography class when we were still in the 3rd grade.

Ok I'm an ass, just thought I would clarify that point.

There are actually several specialty wheel companies manufacturing wheels here in the USA, but, the question becomes where did the materials come from. For instance as far back as the '70s I worked for several companies that used Japenese steel for products that they were manufacturing, I even worked in a foundry for a while that purchased aluminum pig from Brazil.

OK my understanding that for a wheel we would use radir is a local company that still manufactures here as well as Weld wheels. I think that Weld manufactures a nostalgia wheel, or at least they did. I do know that at least back in the 90s the hoops were forged off shore, that could have changed by now but it isn't likely..

Yea I know no help, right?

12. What about Muscle Mags(slots)or ET?

13. Not all American Racing's are made in China - I bought some Torque Thrust II's recently that said made in USA, the TTO's on the other hand were made in China.

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

5X4.5 Someone might be able to talk me into selling them. Real deal Made in USA

Vintage American Racing 15X7. Were used on the strip though and have been drilled. One would have to use tubes or fix them.

[​IMG]

15. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Those are cool, and I like the tires too. Wrong size though :( I have some 15x10 aluminum slots for the back that fit real nice, and I am looking for some 15x5.5 or 6 maybe even 7 for the front with the 5x5.5 bolt circle. I have 4 Shelby Cal 500 15x5.5 and all of them are bent, so thats why I'm in this boat. I thought I had my wheels. I know it wont matter in the grand scheme of things if I buy chinese wheels, but I would just rather not. So I guess it's save my pennies or find something at a swap meet.

16. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i bet the car you drive everyday is made in china, probably the shirt your wearing, and the computer your using right now... just sayin.

17. X2 on the PS Engineering wheels. I had a set on an OT car and the craftsmanship was fantastic.

18. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

That doesn't mean I have to like it. My truck was made in Mexico, and it's for sale, The 51 F-1 I am building is to be a daily driver.

P.S. You made me look.......my shirt it Mexican also:)