Register now to get rid of these ads!

new tv show tonight- AMERICAN HOT ROD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Bomb, Aug 31, 2003.

1. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

O.K. Guys, Dont forget to plant yourself in front of the tube tonight at 10:00 (eastern time). The new show starts tonight on the discovery channel-AMERICAN HOT ROD. I am anxiuos to see the comments on the HAMB after the show-LOL. Dale

2. sounds like a good idea for a show- if it aint just "kit car bolt togethers" [​IMG]

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

It's "Boyd's Billet Kit Kar Build-Fest"!!!

Might have some comedic value! [​IMG]

4. james

james

Tommorrow night all 3 biker buildoffs are on! Can't wait. The last one is Billy lane vs-Indian Larry.

5. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Here's their writeup:

American Hotrod

Boyd Coddington is an automotive industry legend, whose work embodies the American hotrod. Coddington and his sons have been building hotrods since the 60s; their most famous car, the Boydster, is now in its third reincarnation.

6. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

i'm w/ ya on that one james ! i will save coments on the boyd circus show til after i view it .personaly i prefer american chopper , i swear one day paul SR is gunna blow a gasket and poor paul jr may have his head twisted off .HUMMMMM maybe they are savin that for sweeps week.

7. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I wonder if they'll use as much diamond plate as they do on American Chopper? I swear that they need to clip together all of the times that Paul Jr. says "In my opinion..." and You know what would set that off -- some diamond plate!" They could probably stretch it into an entire episode.

8. Spike!

Spike!

I think Paul JR. says "..To be honest with you.." More times than anything else. Honest.

Spike

9. Spike!

Spike!

Oh yeah..Boyd is a fag. He's gayer than my car used to be.

Spike

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

"I gotta tell ya"
    "To be honest with you"
    "I gotta admit"
    "I'm gettin' aggrivated"
    "Build the damn bike"
    "Nothings gettin done"
    "I wanted this one to be special"
    "Finish the damn thing"
    "When we started building this bike..."
    "I think it's our best one yet"

What'd I miss??? [​IMG]

11. Damn, Hack, you nailed it. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I'll watch the new show, because it's car related. And I GOTTA BE HONEST WITH YOU, I don't think it will be THE BEST ONE YET. My wife and I watch American Chopper, and bet on which worn out catch phrase will be used most. I gotta be honest usually wins by a nose.

12. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

The show sucks, don't even bother.

13. james

james

Well, that was lame! One of the ugliest tupperwares I've seen. At least the painter knew it was foul. Boyd seemed a little pretentious doin' burnouts for his employees. I DID like those motermounts, though!

14. Leon

Leon

He's almost as bad on TV as he is in person. Since he did bolt up a tire I guess he can claim that he built it [​IMG]

15. lulabelle

lulabelle

I'm tired of everyone trying to make the "deadline".

16. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

That did NOTHING for me. The only thing I liked was the blue color on the car....

Maybe they'll do a show with REAL PEOPLE working, designing and building their own shit... not some rich guy ordering his flunkies around.

Or maybe I'm just being bitchy

Becca

17. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Oh, yeah! [​IMG]

It ALWAYS raises MY morale to watch a lame rich guy doing burnouts in an ugly truck out back! [​IMG]

Did Boyd graduate from UofM? Or does he just have a fettish for their colors....maybe cool on a football jersey...but ugly on a car!

I like the "I wanna be like Paul Sr" staged temper tantrums...right down to the ... [​IMG]SWEARING! [​IMG]....and the quaint door slamming scene! I think Einstein shoulda demanded that Boyd lay on the floor so he could jump over HIM...but with the go-kart...not the skates! [​IMG]

The "Let's add drama by leaving the rotor out" stunt was wholey predictable....and the over-blown method of eliminating (and I just LOVE his word for it....) the AIRLOCK in the cooling system was hillariously silly!

Airlock? Like on the SPACE STATION????

Air POCKET, maybe?

Either way, a little common sense brain-power woulda eliminated that "glitch" too!

Taken for it's comedic value and the way it painted a beautifull picture of Boyd for the whole world to see, the show had SOME merit! After all these years, The "Legendary Hot Rod Designer" has fallen to assembling kit cars?

Oh well...we KNEW what we'd be seeing...and we watched anyway....so who's the real dummy in this picture!? [​IMG]

I think I need to vacuum out my airlock...those astronauts made SUCH a mess of it again!

(I keep telling them to wipe their feet after every space walk...but do you think they listen? Nooooo! [​IMG])

18. Kustm52

Kustm52

Didn't you just love all the staged "problems", OMIGOD it won't crank, what are we gonna do? Try putting the parts back in! Oh no, we can't drive it, it's TOO LOW. I don't know if it was an act or not, but Mr. Coddington appears to be quite an asshole. And that was about the ugliest color combo I've ever seen...but so what, the owner will never get the satisfaction of driving 12 hours to the HAMB drags in a car built with their own hands...some things just can't be bought, you know....and I'm glad of it.

Brian

19. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

You Guys crack me up!
    I wanna see a show where a bike guy heats and bends steel with his back yard BBQ to make a sissybar.
    OH yah sorry that would be tha old "iron horse magazine"
    FRITZ

20. I liked the customary "dramatic incident" where he goes off on the CAD kid for trying to jump a go-kart with a ramp via his "roller shoes"... because...

"What are ya CRAZY? You jump that thing, break an ARM... you can't work the COMPUTER anymore! And we're "BLEEEEEP"'ed!!!"

The grumpy desk ordering lady yelled out "HELLFIRE"?

21. Kustm52

Kustm52

What the world needs is a show like the "new yankee workshop" for cars...you know, one guy with a bunch of neat tools building some really nice stuff. Or even one like the carpenter guy who only uses "period correct" tools and methods in his building....but the mainstream would never go for that. What we need is more staged drama and fake deadlines....that was a cool shop though....one of those Snap-on toolboxes cost more than my car.....

Brian

22. Dirk

Dirk

Speaking of American Chopper, what did you guys think of the so-called "Old School chopper"?

I don't know much about bikes, is it a P.O.S.?

23. Anderson

Anderson

New Yankee workshop? Hell, what about the Router Workshop? That gu built everything using just a router. Someone should have a show where a guy builds an entire car using only a torch.

24. yes, all the parts that should have been chromed were black and all the parts that should have been black were chrome. the gold leaf on the sheet metal was some kind of fake vinyl crap. an episode or two later paul sr. took it for a ride and when you saw it on the road with someone on it it looked really awkward, like no thought was put into what it should look like.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Naw. Building an entire car using only a jacknife, now that would be really something.

Frank

26. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The old school...."Bike with Apehangers"???

I don't see calling it a CHOPPER...but it would pass for a custom bike.

To me, chopper = Long fork, modifyed rigid frame, no front brake, one-off styling.

But I kinda like the show...I worked for a guy once who ran his family biz JUST like Paul Sr! He had his family trembling in fear...and I was one of only TWO non-family employees...I got along with the guy GREAT! I'd just throw his shit right back on him and he'd laugh...his kids thought I was nuts!

A typical morning went like this:

"HEY! It's 8:01 and you're still standing around flappin' your jaws....we gonna WORK today or not?!?"

(People scatter as I reach for another donut)

"I'm thinking it's a good day to goof off and waste time...can we work THAT into your schedule?"

"Okay, Smartass...get the truck loaded and don't let me see any donut crumbs on my seats!"

It was alot of fun, really!

27. mojo66

mojo66

You guys were right,LAAAAAAAME!!! I met Boyd on Power Tour back in '96 and I thought he was a pretentious prick then. I gotta say though, he must be gay because his AIDS is kickin' in, he must of lost at least 100 pounds! Give this show a couple more episodes and we will see nothing but advertisers logos plastered all over the shop, hell we might even see some FREEBIES!!

28. I worked for Boyd 10 years ago so I was interested in seing what the show would be like. Diane in the purchasing dept. and the new Mrs. Coddington floating around the shop must make for a few interesting days for Boyd.

We all know Boyd's crew is capable of building anything they want, I just wish they could have shown something more than a "kit assembly". Sure, that car in 6 weeks was a feat but those guys are better than that. Maybe Discovery will follow the build on something more challenging next time.

Funny, the only people I recognized from the "old shop" were BC, ex-wife Diane, Roy Schmidt (made the windshield template), and Rafael (Vato in the paint shop - with no speaking part 'cause it would have all been Spanish BLEEPS).

Boyd riding in on that scooter was hilarious. Wouldn't have seen that 10 years ago.

-JH

29. Perhaps American Street Rod would have been a better title.

30. OK [I watched the damned thing]- heres my take- boyd is smarter than I expected he was- he left that ol bitch in the office![ex wife] for the second BLOND broad,Right?man he looks kinda peaked as of late- stress I suppose......show was Kinda what I was expecting- a flop [​IMG] [how many ways can you totally reshape an early ford roadster that is still interesting and doesn' [​IMG]t resemble a prowler?