Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Toy, '54 F100 with a 351W Help/Parts needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gmk1455, Nov 20, 2012.

1. gmk1455

gmk1455
    from il

Hi, Firstly this is my first post on here so If im not in the right place please direct me .

The other day I picked up a '54 F100 with a 351W swapped in (with title). Got it for next to nothing and couldnt say no. So I figured for a challenge I would attempt to get it street legal/dailydriver as cheap as possible. The floor is gone, and the tail was replaced with a wooden bed. With the 351 swap and no floor Im not to worried about originality, just a dependable truck.

Apparently It runs (havnt brought it home yet to try) And the most expensive part of the build is that the windshield has a giant crack/hole. Anybody have one around here? Im looking at close to $400 once I get a new one shipped-ouch!!!(and installing myself)

Seccondaly The brakes are gone, not sure what he ment, as the truck was $100 I didnt question him. So for parts can I do a bolt in swap from a latter or earlier? F100. Again looking to cut corners for money purposes.

If any of you have any parts around Central IL it would be great and Your knowledge is deffinatly apprieciated to!
    Thanks Guys, Grant

2. servi53

servi53

show us some pics, good luck with your project and keep us posted

3. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Stock brake parts are all over the place if you want those, there are even conversions to stick rotors on your spindles if you want to spend a little. I have a shed full of crap, mostly rusty doors,hoods and extra grilles. Ask around when you get it home, I know where there are a couple frames with other front subframes if you get ambitious.

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Speedway motors has the same disc brake conversion as the one I did on my truck for a lot less money. And it uses 5-5-1/2 bolt pattern wheels.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Brake parts are as close as your local NAPA. HRP

6. gmk1455

gmk1455
    from il

Well,
    Firstly I got her running! I mean a steady idle rather than a couple of sparks on starter fluid. Its got a 4 barrel Holley 740, turns out it leakes like a siv. Got new gaskets and a few parts to rebuild it. But in the mean time I got the e brake woking enough so I could at least go for a ride around the block once i get the carb back together.

Now the newest problem on the list, The shifter. Origianly I just looked in the cab and saw a stick on the floor and assumed 4 speed. Turns out its a auto and im guesing it is a c4 or a c6. Its got a Mr.Gasket Shift Kit on it, and to my knowledge similar or same to one of hurst later shift kits? Never delt with one of these before and so far it is just a pain in the butt. They way it ratchets it is just "unkown" Firstly I'm just assuming it follows the norm PRNDL pattern, but there are spots for more then just those 5. I never know what gear I'm in, and it seems to be wired funny to only start in an "unkown gear" because none of it is marked. Have any of you delt with these? Sorry this just may be my lacking of knowledge on american cars.
    Thanks again!

7. gmk1455

gmk1455
    from il

Also, excuse my sloppy typing and grammar, in a hurry doing this on lunch! Also On the brakes it seems the adjuster for the shoes is completly manual? or am I missing something?

One last thing, she is '56 not '54, according to the title and the vin!

8. uc4me

uc4me

need pics to verify year, 53-55 cabs look like this (smaller windshield and rounder doors/roof):
    [​IMG]

56 looks like this (bigger windshield and more square doors/roof
    [​IMG]

you might also want to try the FTE Message board....more mid fifty f100 information there than you can use
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. gmk1455

gmk1455
    from il

Oh, yeah its forshure a '56. And thanks Ill head over there!