Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the HAMB, not a newb......

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Trimmer Len, Sep 30, 2007.

1. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Congratulations!
    That must feel good having that done! :)
    Looks good.
    Some pictures make it look whiter than others. Lighting, I guess.
    So.. got a drying booth or just let it set for a while!

2. Letting it dry overnight.

3. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Progress. I'll be having some soon. After this week.

4. Much progress this week and weekend! Got the chassis back to the shop, and got a bunch of stuff bolted to it.

Attached Files:

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Len.
    Looking like a rod!
    Must have been kinda odd working with a painted body after the time spent fabricating and stuff. Rewarding, I expect.
    Happy with the outcome thus far? Any changes you wish you would have made?
    Hard to zoom in a lot on a 640X480, 72 dpi picture but it looks like a a little shimmer of light on those wheels.
    You'll be driving it soon!
    I'm back from a week of building a shed and some other chores (7 hours away).
    Now I'll change a wrist-pin and bushing in my 93 Camry (bought cheap, VERY nice car, super shape). After that.. the truck gets some attention.
    I call it a truck. It IS a truck.. in spirit. Truck parts anyway. ;)

6. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

Hi,
    Congratulations; I think it is a good and new idea to use an old bug body to make a convertible pick-up from it! When can we see the end product?
    Peter

7. I'm used to working with finished paint,Joe, most of the cars I work on come to me after paint.

Pete, my goal is to be ready for Greaserama at the end of August. I have been really putting in the hours trying to finish it in time. Here are the latest pics.

Attached Files:

8. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

welcome trimmer from ga cool looking BUG

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Lookin really nice Len.
    I meant I figured it was odd for you to be working on this build having it finally a painted body.
    End of August look realistic for you? It does from the pictures.
    And... I expect you won't have any problems getting an interrior in place. ;)

10. If I stay on this pace I should be able to.

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

That's great! Hope you don't run out of steam.
    You better be taking pictures of the first outing... not just the rod but the look on people's faces when they realize it's heritage. ;)
    Wish me luck tomorrow. It's supposed to rain so I'll be able to hide in the garage and finish making the English wheel. Then I'll start on making it convertible to a plannishing hammer.

12. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

That looks real nice allready! Hope you will finish it before the end of august!
    Peter

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Len... I got my English wheel setup enough to try it out this evening!
    There's still a lot to do to it (I'm slow) and I still have to make it convertible to a plannishing hammer setup.
    I rolled a small piece to give it a crown. Then I smacked a few sharp dents into the piece and wheeled them out. It needs LOTS of adjusting and finishing but I am pumped!
    Oh.. I'm not a wheel virgin anymore. I pinched my thumb, twice! No blood though.

14. More progress....That progressive carb linkage was a pain in the a$$ to figure out!

Attached Files:

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee Len... that manifold and carbs just scream "FEED ME"!
    I bet that will scoot down the road.
    A full-on side view would be appreciated at some point.
    Lookin' sharp, man!

16. I cant get a good vantage point for the side shot with it in my shop area. Backed up against the wall with the camera, and still cant get the entire thing in the shot. The side shot of the headers was taken from just the other side of the door to my shop.

17. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I can relate. I had 3 people in the shop where my parts are and with the 5' high english wheel... there was barely enough room to breathe.

18. Made more progress today! I got the bugs worked out of the throttle linkage, and the throttle pedal installed. I spent the rest of the day fabricating the shifter. It is made from a 48' chevy heavy truck parking brake lever. Even managed to get functional reverse lockout and such like a store bought jobber!

Attached Files:

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Dang! You are moving along!
    Good that you got the lockout on it. A nice, simple looking unit.
    I always wonder how many guys have their transmissions pop into reverse, especially the ones with the shifters that go all the way to the roof.
    I won't have that issue. At this point I have a T5 in the parts pile.
    The gauge cluster looks good...

20. DBAG

DBAG

Welcome, I'm not too far behind you in the "new posters" catagory! I can say if your build is what you want..remember it's YOUR car. They're not paying for it so do what you like man. It sure beats the 80's Cutlass at a "kod and kustom" show I saw with hydraulics being more the center of attention than the '28 Model A roadster that was period correct as hell that no one batted an eyelash to this weekend!

cheers
    DBAG

21. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Well Len.. I spent the day on my donor truck (an S-15 with a V6 and a T5) and stripped it to the ugly frame.
    I plan on running full fenders to hide it all (have to around here for law and weather anyway) and want to get something together in my lifetime.
    I'll find or fab a nice frame for my next project.. maybe.
    Now I can start building the cab and mount the box.
    I'll be keeping this one quiet too. An S15 frame.. how terrible of me. ;)
    But I'm not being paid to build this so I'm the one I worry about liking it.

22. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Been following your build. What a cool truck! I think this is what alot of so called Rat rodders are thinking but don't have the talent, imagination or means to follow through and be safe and tastful as you have. Can't wait to see it finished. Not calling your truck the R word, hope you understand my point.

23. I understand comepletely, Bill. When I first concieved the idea, I envisioned it as inspired by the stance and style of some of the cooler rat builds out there. I like the aggresive in your face look of them, but I'm not fond of rust. I have spent the last 15 years of my career in a shop where it is Enemy #1.

Gizmo, great to hear you have finally found some time to get some work done! I see nothing wrong with a donor frame on a fendered ride. And the S trucks make good, plentiful donors. Someone told me thay are the easy to shorten the wheelbase. Something about the frame rails......

24. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Thanks Len.
    The S frame has a weird dip and bulge just behind the front clip. I'll cut that out and put in a straight piece that will follow the cowl-door bottom line. From that piece back, the frame is straight and simple to shorten. Mine has about a 117" wheelbase so I have about 14" to remove.
    Starting to get excited about the build.
    Also.. I have some T stuff around and my brother is just about convinced to build something. He works far too hard and has so many responsibilities that I'm trying to get him to have some fun.
    We used to do autobody and collision repair along with my dad who did frame repair. Gee... that was nearly 20 years ago. Sigh.
    Yes, rust is enemy # 1.
    Patina. What a silly thing to call rust.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  25. I got a new donation to the cause yesterday! This old bypass oil filter came from a late 40's GMC truck that is at the shop as a donor to update the brakes on a 33 Chevy 1 ton. I have modified it to operate as a puke tank and will mount it on the firewall.

Attached Files:

26. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Oh that's a cool looking tank. Nice price too.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  27. Well, I will not be able to finish the RPU very soon. Saturday morning I suffered a mild heart attack. I received angioplasty, and feeling well now. But the rod is on hold for at least a few weeks.

28. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

GEE LEN!
    Man.. that sucks!
    Thankfully you are doing better now.
    Angioplasty seems to do a really good job with the folks I know who have had the procedure.
    This down time will be for you to do some planning for the final stages of the build. And then on to the next on. ;)
    I'm off to do some camping with my honey for a few days.
    I'll check in on you when I get back.
    Take care!
    Joe

29. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ok. It's been a week (as of today) since the 'event'.. how you doin'?
    I was camping and hiking in the Cape Breton highlands (9 1/2 hours away from my home of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia) and am now only 6 1/2 hours from home, going home Monday.
    I hope to check out a complete flathead and a bunch of parts before I leave.

30. I'm doing OK, considering. No further chest pains, but the spot where they inserted the catheter is still fairly sore.

Hope you score on the flatty!