Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the HAMB, not a newb......

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Trimmer Len, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Elrusto

Elrusto

Sorry if I missed it some where in the post, but how much was the kickup in the rear?

2. 14 inches

3. Progress Pics! Got the frame back to the roller stage, and got a bit more done to the cab. Finished the cab corners, and got the last piece in the tunnel.

Attached Files:

4. One more

Attached Files:

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Lookin' good Len.
    Body is looking less and less like a bug.
    Going to dip or blast it after?

6. Blast and epoxy primer before fill and paint. I picked up a piece of 1/8" aluminum to make a dash panel with. Not sure what finish I will put on that yet. Maybe red flake like the wheels.

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee... I lucked into Len's build through a search, subscribed to his thread and never noticed this wasn't on the regular board.

8. I just did not want to get railed on by the traditionalists. If GizmoJoe had not continued showing interest, I would not have kept posting. I came across the HAMB while surfing for ideas when first starting this project, and quickly realized my project wasn't really HAMB material.

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee Len.. I didn't realize that I had any influence! :)
    I found your thread while using google to hunt for "rpu" since the HAMB search won't do 3 letter searches.
    I hear you about the traditional police. They can be real dweebs, unless THEY decide it's cool. Lots of hypocrisy with some of them.
    Once you get this creature up and running... post the finished package to the main board just to see how sharp-eyed some of the folks really are. ;)
    Don't show the dash area (if you are leaving it orig.) 'cause it's a dead giveaway. You can bet some will like it and some will not.
    I do appreciate your posts but don't feel you have to keep posting. But you BETTER! ;)

10. I do plan on posting it in the main forum when finished, just to see what the reaction will be. And, speaking of the dash, I made this after work today. I'm not sure what finish I will give it, but I am leaning towards red flake like the wheels.

Attached Files:

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Aw man... that looks good. And I can picture it in flake. Nice.
    What make of guages?
    Reaction? Yes, I'll be watching for that.
    PLEASE post to this thread when you are about to show it in the main section of the board.

12. Will do....The gauges are Dolphins.

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I just went to their website. Too bad they don't have larger pictures of their stuff to show them off better.
    Their prices seem reasonable but I don't know prices in many other places.

14. I got this set from a customer, who had us replace them with some parchment face antique style. He didn't like the black face in his black dash. I really know little about them, other than they look like quality gauges.

15. josh77

josh77

Excellent build man. I'm keeping an eye on this. :cool:

16. More real progress this weekend! Got all the sheet metal back from the sandblasters, got it in epoxy primer, and started slingin' mud!

Attached Files:

17. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Woo hoo!
    Lookin' good.
    Any little surprises after the blast?

18. No, I had found the only patch needed before. This car was almost rust free when I got it 20 years ago, and it spent the last 15 in my garage.

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee. That's a long time sittting and waiting to start the project.
    Must feel nice to be this far along.
    I just finished "work" for the summer. I have a 10 month contract each year at the community college where I deliver IT courses to students.
    The college spreads our 10 months of pay over 12 months, giving us the illusion of year round pay. ;)
    I have a bunch of things I have to fix (2 daily drivers and house to work on) but this year .. the 30 A truck is getting some attention. I hope. ;)
    Keep up the good work.
    Oh, has your boss done any more to the Seagrave?

20. The car has a bit of history, actually. When I first got it, I did a "California" style customizing job to it. You know, shave the bumpers and trim, replace the front signals with some custom stuff, killer velour interior, shiny white paint, etc. I eventually got tired of constantly having to fart with it to keep it running, and parked it. It sat for a couple years, then I got the completly foolish idea to put a V6 mid-engine in it. Got as far as cutting out the torque tube, and adding some 2x3 tubing, and realized it was really eating into my model airplane time. So it sat for the remainder of that time until a little less than a year ago. It was then that the wife and I finally got our crap together financially and I could possibly afford to build a real hot rod. By then, I had done most everything I wanted to do with model airplanes, so here I am.

The boss has been really hittin it hard on the Seagrave. He finished his new garage built to fit it, and has gotten it out of storage and in that new space. This weekend he finished painting the back of the sleeper, which he left unpainted due a previous plan to make an RV of sorts. He will be hauling the rollback chassis home sometime this week. Then it will be time to cut the front off of the rollback chassis,(it was wrecked and the cab stripped, leaving the front suspension) then put 'em together.

Your just gonna have to put up with that leaky faucet, and get some work done to that 30 A!

21. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

hahah 3 more days on one daily and it will be done.
    Then some engine work and a paint job on daily #2.
    A fellow around here that buys old junkers for scrap saw a couple clunkers in my yard (80's stuff) and wanted them. He roams the country side.
    I told him A and T (or was that T and A?...) parts that he finds are MINE. So we have a deal.
    They are super rare here.
    He's already drug a frame to me. (not an A but good shape) and says he has a line a few flatheads. OOoooo
    So maybe I'll get things rolling soon.

Gee.. the bug had quite the history! Any pictures? THAT will be a great part of a write up when you are done. :)
    A few years ago there was a bug body on a tube frame with a 454 up front.
    I sat in it and the owner told me to start it up. Scary. Just plain scary.

Sounds like the boss is gonna keap the Seagrave for a while... building a garage around it. Neat.

Well.. off I go to a local shop here (about the only real hot rod shop around here). Flathead Fred is the guy's name and man.. he does sweet work. Show quality (no exageration). I've known him forever.
    Another buddy of his that I know a little has his 32 Chev there. They work on it 2 nights a week.
    They are "engouraging" (kicking me in the butt is more like it) me to work on my truck more.

22. No pictures of it's past life, regrettably.

Here are the latest progress pics, though! If I got the order right, the first pic should be after the coat of spray poly, and the remaining two are after blocking the poly. The darker gray area's are SEM primer on the bare metal spots.

I spray color by next weekend!

Attached Files:

23. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I recall taking in a customer's car, didn't look too bad, and tearing it down.
    People would say, "you are ruining it!".
    After a couple of days grinding, welding, filling.. they say,"haven't been getting much done, have you..."
    Slap a coat of primer on and they say, "FINALLY did some work, did you?".
    Appearances and understanding of the process sure helps.
    So (with tongue in cheek) I say to you..., "FINALLY did some work, did you?".
    Lookin' good.
    Have you mentioned what color it will be?

24. The plan has been to put the sheet metal in simi-gloss black. But, along with that I had intended to paint the frame red. In the interest of time, I ended up shooting the frame gloss black with POR15. So now I am considering an antique white, or similar color that will work with the red flake wheels.

I know what you mean with the conception of work completed. It took three times the hours to get the body roughed in than it did to spray and block the poly!

25. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ah yes.. and maybe silver suspension parts. That's what you wrote.

I think an antique white (you mean closer to the cream side?) would look classy.

I spent 3 hours today fabbing and welding on a lower cab corner and a rocker panel for my brother's truck. I guess I work faster in my mind than in real life. ;)

What's POR15 go for around your parts? It's kinda rare around here and consequently expensive.

26. POR15 cost's me 45 US for a quart. I'm not sure what it would cost retail. The suspension parts are painted with Rustoleum silver hammer finish.

27. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Thanks for the price. I guess it's not that much more here then. I forget exactly but it's a lot of bucks.
    Does the quart cover a decent amount or do you have to apply a couple coats?
    Silver hammer for suspension, black for frame, red flake for wheels.
    Yup. I think you might be right with antique white for the body.

Edit: I guess the price isn't as bad as I thought. It's 49 Canadian a quart plus shipping. They say 96 sq. ft. of coverage but how accurate is that?

28. I used a little over a pint to spray the frame. I gave it a couple coats. I painted the rear axle with an acid brush, and still have a little less than an inch in the can. Also, no need to buy the POR15 brand thinner if you want to spray it. We just use urethane reducer. Works fine.

29. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee. Thanks for the info!
    That's a whole lot better than I expected.
    I just might have to get some of that stuff.
    We have LOTS of salt air here in good old Nova Scotia.
    Therefore, we have LOTS of rust. :(

30. I got this Be-ach painted!

Attached Files: