Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the HAMB, not a newb......

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Trimmer Len, Sep 30, 2007.

1. I haven't gotten much done lately. Some due to family stuff, but mostly due to money. Now that it has an engine sitting in it that needs covered up, it takes longer to get it in and out of the shop. That don't help any, either. I did get some tubing bent and welded into the cab for the tunnel/floorboard. I think I am going to lift the cab off the frame and set it on a cart to do the rest of the sheet metal work to it. Would be much easier to get in and out. I really wish I had the equipment to work on it at home.

2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ya, I understand. My project is just up the road from me but even that slows me down. By the time I move stuff out or around the garage and get started, it's time to stop for the evening. It's going slow but I am enjoying it.
    Probably a good idea to put the cab on a sturdy cart. Emphasis on the sturdy.
    Good luck.

3. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hi Len,
    Long time no type.
    Just wonderin' if you've made much progress on your rpu lately.

4. Not a lot that can bee seen. Got half the floor pans in, and a grill shell mounted. sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Attached Files:

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey there!
    Glad to hear there is still progress being made.
    What is that grill from? I just can't make it out to be sure.
    Joe

6. yblock292

yblock292

thats kool as hell................nice going

7. More progress this weekend:D

Joe, I have no idea what the grill shell is! Neither did the boss, who gave it to me. I have such a sweet job.....:cool:

Sorry for the sh*tty pics, my camera shot craps. Had to take these with my celly.

Attached Files:

8. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Len,
    I'm sure SOMEONE will pipe up with an opinion as to the lineage of the shell. ;)

Neat headers. Now, I am in no way knowledgable about headers so smack me in the head for asking, but.. is the rear tube coming in quite sharp? Maybe the picture doesn't show as much angle as there really is but it looks like there isn't much "flow" into the exhaust stream. Maybe it doesn't matter at all. What do I know?

That trans/driveshaft tunnel looks good and beefy inside that cab considering what used to be there. :)

Any plans for the dash?

She's lookin' like a rod! I'm quite jealous. I've been sick for the last 2 weeks and haven't done a blessed thing on mine. I'll be away all next week so nothing will get done again. Oh well.

Joe

9. I suppose if I were concerned about optimum performance, the angle of the rear tube would be an issue. I would have had to buy an additional u-tube to get it to turn and enter at a better angle, and still enter far enough up to clear a baffle.

No set plan for the dash yet. I have been debating with myself on that one. Thought about a complete engine turn face, but also like the original dash inserts on either side of the original speedo. Guess I'll figure that one out when it's time to cut and weld:D

10. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Yes, clearing the baffle is a bit important too. ;)
    I don't think I'd get away with baffled pipes here. The law is really strict on stuff like that here.

They did have an neat looking dash with the side inserts. You'll just have to decide how far you want to go away from the vdub side of things or play it up a bit, just to bug the "trad. police".

BTW How's the Seagrave coming along?

11. The boss is about finished with his new shop building at his house, so he will soon be able to get back to work on the Seagrave. We just don't have space at work for it.

12. More progress this weekend! Got started on my bed.

Attached Files:

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee, that's great Len. You sure are moving along.
    I sometimes wish I had started with new tin instead of trying to fix some old stuff. But hey... I'm havin' fun with it. Haven't done anything for 2 weeks though. Down with a nasty winter flu.
    Room? Ya, I know what you mean.
    Thanks for the update.

14. I lost three day's of wages and a weekend to that flu. Hope you get better soon.

15. More work done on the bed, almost ready to mount to the chassis. I still have to cut and form the axle openings, and make the tailgate chain tabs. Here's the latest pics. Still having to use the cell cam......Just cant make myself spend the bucks for a new camera. Too many parts to buy yet:D

Attached Files:

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Clean and simple. Looks good. (green with envy)
    I finally got over that flu/chest infection. Wasn't fun. Haven't got much done this winter with one thing or another.
    I have a fellow travelling to some shows this week who thinks he can get me some cab parts (the back of a 30-31 mainly). Can't wait.
    How far will you be cutting for the axle openings?

17. I'm not sure of the measurement, but it will be about 4" below the framework you see in the pics. That will put the top of the opening near the bottom of the frame rail.

18. Got some more done today!

Got the tailgate chains done, and got the bed set on the frame so I could finally see it somewhat whole. Got so excited I forgot to get pics with the grill shell in place. My nephew did with the company's good camera, so I will be snatching them on Monday.

Attached Files:

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Cool! Exciting to have progress.
    I forget that I'm not a kid sometimes with this stuff. ;)

I should have a good camera too but I'm cheap (like some others). Sad, since I'm a computer geek by trade now. But I guess I'm more of a grease monkey by heart, and wallet.
    I've been "building" a lower control arm bushing for a Toyota Echo for a friend.
    They don't sell just the bushing and the whole arm is like $150 bucks plus should do an alignment after so... cheapie-me to the rescue.

Get those pictures posted.

Weekend after next and I'm starting back on my parts to hopefully make them into a truck.
    Cheers.

20. I thought I had the pics attached when I posted, but there musta been a bug in the works. There up now.

21. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Len...
    What's the latest on the truck? How's it goin?

22. mayej

mayej
    from Tok, AK

I just found this post and I'm anxious. More pics Len!
    I used to have a 72 Super Beetle, I sure miss that car. Outlasted TWO Xwives..lol
    I always wanted to put one of those Willys body kits on it, but, due to the divorces....well....ya know.
    Bugs are the shite in my book. Keep it goin man. Awesome ride.
    Jef
    [​IMG]

23. mayej

mayej
    from Tok, AK

And as far as people flamin on ya for your choice, my Dad had a 1948 Mercury Coupe in 1950. Everyone gave him a rash when he put skirts on it and dropped it to the ground...in 1950. Now he's known as kool skool.
    Remember, you're the one that owns it, do it like ya wanna.

24. I am making progress, just not much worthy of pics. Got a radiator fitted, moved the coil overs to the out side of the frame, fitted shock mounts to the front, made headlight mounting brackets, and a few other small details. I disassembled the whole thing last night and will be doing the finish welding to the frame today. Tomorrow I'll be spraying the POR15 on the frame. I've also been collecting up more parts. I got some cool little tail lights, bought a new wiring harness and one of those old style "add-on" turn signal switches. I also picked up a much better set of front spindles/rotors/brakes.

I will be sure to take some pics tomorrow of the bare frame to post as a start of the final assembly process...:D

25. Cool truck, Welcome. I've driven by P&J's a hundred times..

26. Well, got er' done! The frame, anyway.....

Attached Files:

27. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Looks good Len.
    That's a heck of a kickup when you see the bare frame.

28. Got some flake on my wheels this weekend! I also have much of the suspension parts painted and back on the frame.

Attached Files:

29. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Len...
    I zoomed in on the picture and can see the flakes really well.
    Looks nice. I don't recall seeing flaked wheels before. Is that a common thing or are you starting a new trend? Maybe I'm just slipping a cog and have seen many before but can't recall.
    They should give a real nice effect while cruising slow.
    So the frame is about to be a roller again? Great stuff!

Joe

30. The frame should be a roller again by the weekend. I have seen flaked wheels a few times, so not an original idea...