Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the HAMB, 31' Chevy TUB, an introduction:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob in NH, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Rob in ManchVegas here.. (Manchester New Hampshire)

My TOY is a 1931' Chevy Sedan rotted to the BONE saved by me for some ODD reason, (Maybe I seen potential where others have failed?), It's been three years now (random days) in its assembly from FREE junkyard stuff and items from new friends online.. not mentioning the 97+ members in my own 30's Era Chevrolet e-mailing list...

Rod Description:
    1931 Chevy Sedan ROTBOX at fenders and roofline..
    What do you do with it?... How about a TUB?

Parts: (mostly FREE)

1966 Chevy Van front I-beam $150
    1986 Monte Carlo 10-bolt POSI (included)
    OFFIE aluminum headlight frame mounts (included)
    1986 V8 305 FREE (400-SB or 383 can come later)
    TH-350 Automatic FREE
    Air-ride suspension front and rear (hidden) $500
    Three Dueces on polished tri intake FREE

Did I mention I dont have a JOB?
    and I am just starting to walk straight again because of a shattered left leg? (car accident, read the site)

That enough?, NO?, Then go see the pages.., Its more of a daily diary of my trials and tribulations as I recover and finish "EVELYN" (past-on grandmothers name)

LINKS:

The LINK to 126 pages of build diary and a few pics posted here..

http://www.ammoman.com/chevy

DUMMY engine and trans..., Long time ago..

[​IMG]

35' Chevy grill FREE, Local junkyard...

[​IMG]

New sneakers and shiny things... Early Christmas present from my rich wife..

BF Goodrich Radial T/A's 195-60-14" fronts and 275-60-15" rears, Overall rear is 3" wider than the front end with NO cutting or narrowing the rear axles or I-beam...

[​IMG]

Dont miss those BOWTIES out front and yes they area on the rearend also..., all are hand-made ladder bars by ME... and strong as nails..., If I hit you in the head with them you would bleed for sure...

[​IMG]

My (_!_) is showing..., GOD I need to workout more..., Watchout for that red thing (its being moved outboard or another pair added out there), I just like the LOOK...

[​IMG]

READ ME!!!...

If you get to a password page (#98) ignore it...
    Click the little DOT in the bottom right corner of that page.. It will take you to Page #99

Old Hackers trick..

Heres hoping I havent busted any bubbles for those who forget to go to the local Junkyards and make friends with the owners like I do..
    [​IMG]

2. jetjackson

jetjackson
    from OZ

don't know if it really fits in here on the HAMB, but welcome, good to see those headlights work. [​IMG]

3. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Welcome Rob. Take a quick look (is that possible?) at the build up of his "tub". It is pretty neat I think. Rob seems like hes good at fabricating things. I think he is prolly full of knowledge to share.

Nick

4. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Welcome, Rob, and nice intro, that project looks way cool. [​IMG]

5. Pretty ingenious work. Welcome.

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Welcome aboard. Amazing what us rot belters can do with things aint it?

As you may have noticed, this site has a decidedly West Coast and warm weather tilt but the cold states and Canada are showing up more often.

What side of Manchester? I was in the NHSRA back near the beginning.

7. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

[ QUOTE ]
    don't know if it really fits in here on the HAMB, but welcome, good to see those headlights work. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? he "doesnt belong?" is that because he actually has an old car? or because he actually works on it? because he FABRICATES things? he dont belong... because he does it on the CHEAP?

how many posts do you have? 6? you are a god!

lurk more, think before typing.

oh, hi rob. [​IMG]

8. Donzie

Donzie

From one Tubster to another, welcome.

Attached Files:

9. hi rob,i used to have a friend(another car guy) that lived in Mamchester.i spent the whole month of july 1983 visiting him,i realy liked your town. we went to a few junkyards,i couldn't beleive how much rust you have out there!

10. Rob,
    Free or cheap is good. Your ol' tub is lookin good too by the way.
    Gotta respect a man that'll start with a rusted hulk, and give it another chance.[​IMG]
    Welcome
    The Pork'n'Beaner

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man-chestah, wicked...

My sister's husband is from there, Steve Vallee. I think it has been about 20 years since I have been there. I lived in Maine for a while. Nice to have another New Englander on the board.

12. Rainer

Rainer

this is the first intro post I answer - welcome!! - looks like good workmanship for me - great ideas doing it running the cheapest way in your tast - great stuff

13. Good to see another New England short............Maybe I'll see ya at Bobby's

CT.

14. CruZer

CruZer

Welcome,Rob. I'm always glad to see New Englanders join this great forum. Maybe someday,we can have a New England HAMBERS meet !!!!!!!

15. Engine works too..

FREE 305, ported heads, Allison elect dist, NEW dist., Tri intake, cam, lifters, NEW and all FREE
    [​IMG]

Old pics...
    [​IMG]

Ghost in the machine.. (dummy motor)
    [​IMG]

DRIVE ME !
    [​IMG]

FINSIH ME !
    [​IMG]

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the replies gang, was nice to get home to all the votes of confidence and get my (_!_) motivated and out in the garage..

"On the CHEAP" is the only way when you have no JOB!

OK If I dont belong? Where should I go?

Honda board?

Rob

16. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

you will make the intro gods happy. ride is looking good, nice detail on the ladder bars

17. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

rob you know i think youre awesome.

18. Answering questions:

jetjackson, ????, Its not a Honda!

Nick32vic, Yes there is NO fast reading on that page, I go back but DONT edit, I want everyone to see the trials and tribulations, This is my FIRST real car from scratch, others were just kits or crazy engine swaps..

Lets see..
    YES a 350 Fits in a 1896 BMW 325i convertible painted CAMO!
    YES a 400 Fits in a Vega wagon.., Better add a frame tho!
    Who said you cant make a VW powered Model T? I did!

Humboldt Cat, Thank You!

Rocky, Thanks man.., Just a kid with 3 of his own and a whole bunch of time at the moment.. OK so I'm 35!

286merc, "Rotbelters" thats a good one, I think we should share some of this "rust disease" with Florida!, I am on the east side of route 3 over near Crystal Lake (yes the one from the first movie)

Fordiac, (this is the guy that sent me here by the way), Hay Man!, Whaaazup!

JB37clbcpe also got me on the JalopyJournal earlier, However I missed the HAMB LINK !

Someone emailed and said "You should be on the HAMB", (Like I knew what that meant at that point and time.. NOPE)

36threewindow, Rust is something we pass around allot here, Even the newest of cars have it, For some reason this car got a whole BUNCH!

Porknbeaner, "another chance" aint the WORD!, I only used the firewall, tub area and doors.. and 17" of front frame horns..

El Caballo, I dont know Steve, Do you know Joe Newton with all the Hotrods that was in Maine?, (he is now in Florida)

Rainer, Thank You!

CTFuzz, Where is Bobby's?

Donzie, NICE TUB, Gotta love the old Ford axle ends used as old skool exhaust then capped.. that is tradition your driving there!

Cruzer,
    NE-HAMB?... Sounds GOOD!, Maybe in the summer when its 90% done?

Rob

19. burger

burger

Rob,

Mind sharing a link to that Chevy mailing list? I've got a '31 5-window coupe brewing in my garage.

Ed

20. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Rob
    Just checked your web site. It rocks! Almost 100 pages! Too cool!

21. [ QUOTE ]
    don't know if it really fits in here

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure some would be happier if
    it looked like a Color Blind Pimp's Golf Kart,on a matching trailer.. [​IMG]

Welcome Rob.Your in the right place.

22. Couper... it's 126 pages!

Edmurder... here ya go...

The 30's Era Chervolet E-mail list of 97+ guys...
    http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/ThisOldChevy

The 30's Era Chervolet Rodders & Restorers Website
    http://communities.msn.com/The1931ChevroletHotrodProject

Same bunch of guys with pictures and pages of thier cars (im the editor)

My cars HOME page.. (already seen)
    http://www.ammoman.com/chevy

The BEST Rod and Gun site out there.. (dont miss the FUNPAGE)
    http://www.AMMOMAN.com

My car on ride-tech
    http://www.ridetech.com/projectview.asp?ID=12217&source=KnownProject

Quote:

"NO EXPENSIVE HI-PO BILLET HOTROD ITEMS WERE HARMED (or used) IN THE BUILDING OF THIS CAR"

[​IMG]

23. Man, that front end is W-I-D-E!!!! [​IMG]

Welcome.....But who are you conning to get all this shit for FREE?!

24. The I-Beam was 3" wider than rearend..

"WAS" until RIMS and TIRES

[​IMG]

Now rearemd is 3" wider than the front

Wheelbase is 114", an 86' Monte Carlo is 109"

25. jetjackson

jetjackson
    from OZ

how did you know i have a honda? seriously tho, i like your work, i did say welcome, excuse my weird sense of humour, of course it fits here [​IMG]

26. Elrusto

Elrusto

Welcome.
    Dont tell anyone but I kinda dig the bags on the
    straight axle.

Mike

27. long island vic

long island vic

what a dum idea using your state in your tag name [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] welcome

28. Actually let me agree with your first post...

It's not all "OLD SKOOL" But more of a TWIST..
    It uses like I said...

30's parts (body)
    50's parts (tri-power intake)
    60's parts (I-beam)
    70's parts (Rochester carbs)
    80's Parts (engine/rearend)
    90's parts (air-springs)

But picture three years ago having this old body and trying to find OLD SKOOL 50's parts CHEAP, Not just parts but HTG parts.., Nostalgia dont come CHEAP...

Your not going to find a tri-power in the Junkyard.., You will however find the parts to build a few Rochester carbs for one..

Your not going to find a Halibrand rearend, But plenty of other POSI's are all over the place in various widths...

Your not going to find MOON gauges in an every day car, You will however find ones that WORK for now until you can afford the MOONS that are the same size...

TH350's grow on trees in the Junkyard...
    V-8 305's? we crush them all day.. This one RAN

Someone asked "HOW do i get FREE parts?"

I help the owner sell things on occasion ONLINE with my camera and let my Volvo eat his gas (also free), I empty the tanks that come out of the cars for him one day a week, I get gas and FREE parts, He gets rid of gallon after gallon of gas that normally sat in un-marked barrels and gets phone calls on cars in his yard for sale.., I want NO monies from the sale.. just more FREE parts..

Good thing? the gas is now filtered and recycled and every employee there takes home a tank-full each night.., More local

So this makes it more an 80/20 on being here, 20% being NO

YES it's OLD but only the body... Yes its a Hotrod more than ANY Honda on the road (almost died when I seen a sticker on one reading "HOTROD"), But I dont hate Hondas, great winter beaters..

The Tubs name "EVELYN" was the name of my grandmother (now passed away 7 years ago), If anyone would loved this old car be-it bone STOCK or Hotrod it would have been her..

Why? Because I made it... [​IMG]

I ask that you visit my pages, read EVERY page before posting anything.. Things you think I got wrong later on changed, things I didnt like changed also.., Be it LOOKS or STRENGTH on the frame I have all the time in the world.. It's not going anywhere and not FAST (until engine is in)

This thing I have made from other people JUNK and from SCRATCH with my own hands will be with me until it is 100 years old..

Oh and TRUST ME... I wanted "different" Mine is DIFFERENT!

I have about 97 members on a mailing list that are reading this page and they all have NOTHING like mine, Just a great group of people restoring and rodding in HARMONY, one Rodders JUNK is another RESTORERES GOLD!

Rob

[​IMG]