Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the H.A.M.B.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57wagon, Apr 21, 2004.

1. 57wagon

57wagon

Hi just wanted to introduce myself to everyone on the board. My name is Steve, and I live in Kenosha Wi. I just finished my first real project on a car, 57 Chevy 4 door wagon.. I have two kids, so the truckster needed to have 2 more exit points [​IMG]

Anyway, just thought I would say hi...

Hi.

2. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Hi Steve, welcome aboard.

3. Donzie

Donzie

Welcome Steve. Lets see some picks of your ride.
    Age? What do you do for a living? Give us a little background. We like to feel like we really know a guy before we start bashing him or his ride. [​IMG]

4. Welcome! This is a great place. What took ya so long? [​IMG]

Joel [​IMG]

5. 57wagon

57wagon

Alright.... Someone actually pay's me to sit at work play "Network Aministrator" Basically that means,, if nothing is broke I get to surf the internet [​IMG] Pretty cool gig!!!!!

I am 34 years old and have two kids ( 6 year old and 3 year old ) I took them both to thier first car show last year, The Hunnert Car Pileup and they haven't been the same since [​IMG] They loved it, and now my daughter dosen't want to ride in anything except the wagon, now that it is road worthy....

As far as my car goes, I bought it last November and pretty much never left my garage until it was done ( well it's not complete yet ) but it is road "legal" No interior yet and we have to finish the paint. I (along with some serious help from friends )sanded the entire car down to bare metal, then filled in all the moulding holes, welded in a few patch panels to fill in a few voids in the front fenders. Had to replace the front floor boards where mother nature had eaten them. While that was going on, I had the motor machined ( 1970 Chevy 350 )and then we put in the new crank, rods, pistons..... I had a turbo 400 tranny rebuilt and stuffed all that back into the car. We ended up painting it in my garage, I used a single stage black that I got from a local John Deere Dealer, it was my first attempt at any kind of paint that didn't come out of a spray can, and this was only $9 per quart... Plenty of room for error at that price... Once the black was on a friend showed me how to spray the real paint,, the top is a chevy purple along with about 6 coats of clear. We added house of color rainbow metal flake in the first three or four coats of the clear. Hopefully real soon we will get the flames on the side taped off, and I am going to spray them the same color. I ripped out the whole wiring harness, and installed a new one from Hotrod Wires. Must say, probably one of the best things I did to the car so far.. Most of the wiring was a mess of over 40 some years of "fixing" other problems, and wires actually just falling apart. We did manage to make it down to Chicago last weekend to meet up with a bunch of the guys from there. It was the first trip for the wagon, and other than a couple of things that I was going to fix ( but hadn't gotten around to yet) the car drove great!!!!

For some reason I don't have a current pic at work but I'll grab one at home tonight and try and post one for ya... Well here are a few of the Work in progress that I do have here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well enough rambling for now....

6. autocol

autocol

cool.

welcome to the HAMB.

7. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Welcome to the HAMB,Steve! Nice wagon,cool paint! later, Glenn

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Shit 57, you haven't even shown us the purple top yet. Goooovy. You need black wheels though. [​IMG]

9. Welcome to the board friend.
    The only tri-five chebby I ever owned and drove was a '57 wagon. Loved that car.
    The PknBner [​IMG]

10. 57wagon

57wagon

I brought it to SuperDawg last Friday night.. I felt that I needed to show you guys in person for the unveiling!!!!

11. Welcome to the HAMB.

I think we have enough Wisconsin HAMBers to challenge the Gay Michigan Bitches to a Tug-O-War.
    Yeah! We can get a big rope and see who can drag the other team into Lake Michigan...
    Okay, never mind.

Welcome to the HAMB.... and nice job on the '57.
    I'm sure we'll run into each other.
    You can join our caravan to the drags....
    as long as we can put our crap in the back of your car. [​IMG]
    Just kiddin'... c'mon along.

JOE[​IMG]

12. More cheese on the HAMB is always good. [​IMG] Welcome Steve.
    Max

13. 57wagon

57wagon

That may be a plan! One good thing about the wagon is the amount of crap you can store in the back!!! [​IMG] Oh yeah, one more thing I am going to do is where the spare tire carrier is... Well, it was pretty rusted out so I fiberglassed it in (to cheap to buy the replacemnent one ), and I am going to spray some foam insulation in the back, then some undercoating over that... Instant Cooler!!! Pop the tailgate, and there you go!! WISCONSIN BEER FOR EVERYONE!!!!

So what part of Wisconsin is everyone from?? I'm pretty much as far south and east as you can get in the state.

14. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Glad you made it here, bud- nice row of progress pics! Tells the story well.

15. Welcome...!

I live in a van down by the river...! [​IMG] (Fox River in Wacky-shaw)!

Great folks here..., and some funny crap as well!! [​IMG]

I used to have a 56 Chevy "Keg-orator"...! [​IMG]

Have fun and learn...!

Mark

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

[ QUOTE ]
    Shit 57, you haven't even shown us the purple top yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

we've all seen it. where you been sucka?!

Welcome Steve! How's that Rain-X holding up?

17. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome - cheeseheads rule!!

18. 57wagon

57wagon

Very Nice!!!!! I may never have to turn the windshield wipers on again!! Ok or ever put them on [​IMG]

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

[ QUOTE ]

we've all seen it. where you been sucka?!

[/ QUOTE ]

...enforcing my self imposed cruise night ban since none of my shit is roadworthy right now.

As THOM says, "fuck it, I ain't goin' "

20. I'm in the boonies west of Madison about an hour. [​IMG]
    Max

21. 57wagon

57wagon

Madison is always a fun time!!!!!!!

22. Welcome! Im a huge tri-5 fan. Family has a 57 convertible. I know a huge 55-56-57 parts dealer so if you need any original stuff send me a PM and I may be able to hook you up with a deal (he gives me discounts [​IMG])
    Later, Greg

23. 57wagon

57wagon

Thanks Greg, that's good to know.. I'm sure I will be sending you some requests!!!!!

24. colorado51

colorado51

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as my car goes, I bought it last November and pretty much never left my garage until it was done....

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you are not kidding, you've been busy! Looks like some good progress. Cool looking car too!

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Welcome.........Nice longroof.

I have a 56 Bel Air 9 pass. wagon.

26. 57wagon

57wagon

I got a picture of the car which is "almost done" [​IMG] We are still going to paint flames down the side and a bit more to do on the hood...

[​IMG]

It was kind of cloudy so the picture isn't as bright as it could be, but the idea is there...

c-ya

steve

27. 57wagon

57wagon

Just found a pic of my bike too.... So we are good to go with either 2 or 4 wheels.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

We kind of like to have building pushing contests once in a while... This time the building won, and I ended up replacing the transmission.... It was going fine, and the building started to quiver until I shifted into third,,, then boom!!!!!

Now I got one of those new fangles six speed thingies in there, so that building dosent stand a chance this year!!!!

28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Farve is God, and the Hamms man sits at his right hand.
    Wisconsin--where babies go from the nipple straight to a beer-boiled brat
    Was born in Menomonee Falls in '70 (Little Brother's still the second largest baby birthed there). Dad worked for AMC in Kenosha. We lived in Burlington, and my pivotal moment was going to Great Lakes Drag-away in Union Grove when I was 8 and watching my uncle race a blown, injected 392 rail. Mom said I was never the same from that day on.
    Nice car! Hard to beat JD Blitz Black. My '57 150 2dr wears it, too. Must have been on sale when I bought it--$8 a gallon.
    -Brad

29. 57wagon

57wagon

Cool to hear from someone who also knows the history of Kenosha... I have lived here all my life, I remember back when AMC was in it's hayday the amount of guys that would run across the street to the bars during thier lunches... My Uncle told me that the bartenders would have shots stacked like pyramids, along with the entire bar filled with beer... I always heard that if you can find out when a car was built, that you should't buy one that was done on a Monday or Friday afternoon... Guess the guys in Kenosha learned to build them with a few beers in them everyday of the week.... All that's left here is the Chrysler engine plant.

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My dad was in Industrial Engineer--they used to set a fishing pole up on the pier behind the plant, and someone would go and check it at lunch and again at the end of the day. Caught a few salmon that way!

He worked with another IE who opened a bar there, too. He was an old Golden Gloves boxer--had more than a few good stories.

Not buying cars built on Monday or Friday isn't unique to the Kenosha AMC plant! That goes for any manufacturer! Don't buy one built before or right after a holiday, either.
    -Brad