Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to me '37 Ford Slantback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, May 16, 2011.

1. Been Jonesing for a daily driver sedan for quite a while, and found this one out in Albuquerque, NM. Bummed a loan from Dad and he and I flew out to ABQ to drive it home on Cinco de Mayo. Had an awesome time with Dad, and hit a few cool places along Route 66 on the way back to Springfield, MO.

Here's the basics:

The car was built quite a while ago, but had a fresh drive train rebuild not too long ago.

Engine: '98 GMC Vortec 5700 (stock fuel injection, etc)
    Transmission: TH400
    Rear End: Columbia 2 speed, bulletproofed and converted to open driveline. 51 Merc ring gear and axles, I believe, and disc brakes.
    Front end: 4" dropped axle, reversed eye spring, split wishbones, discs.

Drove it home from New Mexico and had a few issues. Broke both lower rear shock mounts (poor engineering on them!) & a clogged fuel filter.

Wanna give a shout out to the guys at Pure Hot Rods! Bought their rear shock hangers for the '37. Other than shaving the backs of them a little, so they would clear the axle housings, they bolted right up, and are as solid as can be. I bought them through their listing on E-bay, on a Sunday night, and was installing them by Wednesday!

I have a few pic's from the trip in my photo album on the H.A.M.B., and even more on my web site, if anyone is interested in taking a peek.

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/the-37-sold.26067/

Since leaving ABQ, I've added 1,500mi on the odometer

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Cool Car! I'm jealous!

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool car.. Did you let dad drive any of the way home???

4. I offered several times, but he never took me up on it. After the shock mounts broke, I don't think he wanted to deal with the extra pucker factor that the driving required.

5. Did about a 1,400 mile road trip, to Lake Charles, Louisiana, this past week.

If ya wanna check out the pic's, etc, here they are...

Road Trip to Lake Charles

6. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Thats a badass lookin car you have there.

7. Great looking car. I love those '37 Flatbacks. Keep having fun with it.....Don.

8. Congrats! you've got a beautiful car!

9. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

always wanted a slant back. maybe one day...awesome car you got there.

10. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

one thing to say....BAD ASS....CONGRATS!

11. Thanks, guys. I am diggin' the old girl.

Since May 5th, it's rolled about 6,000 miles on the odometer, as my daily driver. Doesn't ride quite as nice as my '40, but it is a fun car.

Thinkin' about swapping out the Columbia for a 78-88 Monte Carlo rearend, with parallel leaf springs and gears in the 3.0 neighborhood, to stretch my fuel mileage some, and get a bit better ride out of the thing.

On the other hand...if I find someone who wants it more than I do, I would pass it on to a good home.

12. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Sweet 37

bchrismer likes this.
  13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great looking car!
    Good for you..
    Now ENJOY it !!
    Cheers...........

14. It's got a "For Sale" sign in the back windows, currently. I've spun more than 7,000 miles in the '37, since May 5, and I decided that as much as I like the car, I really need to make room at my place to get some of my junk from Dad's house.

15. Sweet car. The pics need the proper look though!

Attached Files:

16. like ;-)

17. http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds

Here is the site that makes it look old. It's in Japanese but there is a "browse" box then hit the blue box below the browser path and voila.

Thanks go to the original HAMBer that posted this link years ago.