Register now to get rid of these ads!

New (to me) 1947 Ford Coupe-Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruisin30, Oct 28, 2010.

1. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Didnt even know this body style existed. She is an odd duck though as it is apparently an early 47 which has many trim and other items that were 1946 carry overs. Didnt know they did that either. Although stock appearing, she runs a 383 SBC stroker with TH350 and 9 in Ford. A two owner car with a complete frame off in 1992.

2. sambo

sambo

VEERY NICE!!!!!!! Looks like a score for you! It would be nice to buy a car that already runs sometimes, seems my 46 Tudor will never see the road.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

That is nice, congrats. My 46 tudor probably never will see the road.

4. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Thanks Sambo. I am just too old to do the builds anymore. I have built about 20 different cars in my life but there comes a point that you just have to give it up. Always on the lookout for a good buy that I can enjoy. I love my 32 but this one is really nice.

5. OK color me stupid. It is a very nice car, sets well and smooth as a babies butt. But I don't understand what makes it a coupe/sedan?

Can ya give another I didn't know it existed type a little info?

6. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Lots of stuff I didnt know but apparenly the Coupe-Sedan (and that is what is on the title as well) was a stretched coupe with quite substantial seating in the back seat. Some one else will have to explain what the actual dimensional differences are but the back seat is really roomy in this couple style body.

7. GOONZ

GOONZ

Those years had two styles of coupes, one was a business coupe which had no back seat and the coupe sedan, which had a back seat. The business coupes had substantially longer doors than the coupe sedans.

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

here's to bursting your bubble...

it's just a coupe. Nice one, but not rare

9. big bad john

big bad john

....Hello.....looks like a standard coupe to me......they made a salesman coupe on some models with no back seat.....I don't think they made a coupe-sedan......maybe?

10. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Ford made a business coupe that had smaller quarter windows, longer trunk, and they also made the coupe you have which had a larger back seat area and a shorter trunk. I don't think it's rare as I have seen plenty of both styles. As far as the trim goes Ford almost always cleared out last years trim on the early models for the next year.

11. The business coupe, also called a short door coupe, used 4 door doors, and the coupe with the back seat, also called a long door coupe, used 2 door sedan doors. Pat.

12. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Thats what I love about this forum. Just about anything you would need to know can be available right here. My bubble isnt burst I assure you. Whether it was somewhat more rare was just icing on the cake. The car is absolutely flawless for being restored almost 20 years ago. All new NOS trim etc etc. This is one of the rare builds that was done almost exactly as I would have done it or wanted it done and I am glad these body styles arent as popular as some of the others. I used to have a 39 coupe and was really looking for another 39/40 but there is just too much of a premium on them just like the 32/34's. You get a whole lot more with the less popular styles if you like them and this one was CHEEP!

13. Right and Wrong-A Business coupe has no back seat-but has short doors and longer rear quarters.Business coupe uses the same door as the front door of a four door. Sedan coupe uses the same door as a tudor(two door) sedan which are longer enabling passengers to get into the back seat. The Business coupe has a more laid down roofline at the back.The sedan coupe is more upright in the back window area than a business coupe.Business coupe is the rarer body style.In '47 they made more convertibles than Business coupes.

14. Yup....your's is the most common 47 ford coupe. What sets it apart is the 46 trim on a titled 47 car...can't be too many of those.
    Nice car.

15. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Coupe, sedan, coupe/sedan, business coupe, rare, not rare - that car is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

16. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Thanks Rocky, but what sets it apart is really the enjoyment I get out of this thing. Body is baby butt smooth as is the drive train and the ride. What a difference from the 32 and the 39. Must be a heavier car as well.

17. Rocky is that what we used to call a club coupe?

I thnk that '46 trim makes it pretty different also. I must be a very early build. like when Henry was still using up old stock.

Never the less it is a pretty slick old car. Way slicker than what I have at this point, and probably smoother than anything I will ever have.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Sedan coupe was indeed the nomenclature Ford used for this big-back seat coupe in '46-8.
    The '46 maintenance book I have here calls the other one "5-window coupe", though all had 5 windows. This may be because there were two models of that version, business coupe and something else with a small back seat. Don't have enough Ford literature concealed under my desk to fully run down all the variants.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In early Ford-speak, the 47s with the 46 style trim are called early 47s.
    The body style is properly named Sedan-Coupe and does share the long doors with the Tudor Sedans.
    The often, but incorrectly, called "Business coupes" are properly named 5-window Coupes and do not share doors with the Fordor Sedans though they could likely be modified to fit like most earlier cars.

20. GOONZ

GOONZ

Thanks Asphalt Angel and Rocky, I didn't have the specifics I just knew those were some of the differences but I obviously had the wrong order. I need to go see what one I have I dragged it home and its been sitting....not on the top of my list to get to

21. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

Oh.....so that's what my car is supposed to look like. :p
    Nice....congrats on the new purchase

22. geoking

geoking

Hello Texas,
    Please find the following link to see what happens when you throw the Club Coupe ( your car) roof away , while replacing with a chopped business coupe roof.
    http://www.photoshow.com/watch/GC7KK7VR

Your door is 44 inches long from a 2 door sedan. The business coupe had a 4 door sedan door that is 37 inches long. Same wheel base. Same front cap and same deck lid. The rooflines and quarter panel are different. I am thrilled to see your 47 with the 46 trim as it is very good looking. I like it so much that I am actually putting the 46 trim on my 48. Your chassis serial number is on the left front frame rail if you want to see how it started life? 6cyl? or 8cyl? MY 48 coupe prefix is *899 which tells me it started life in 1948 and that it was a v-8.
    YOUR CAR IS AWESOME.... great score.
    George
    Parker,CO

23. millersgarage

millersgarage

I really enjoy my '47's ride, and no, they aren't really heavy. They are big but also full of open space.

I think the title weight on my Tudor Sedan is 2900 lbs.

My 47 has the 47 trim, but has the black gauges from a 46, so mine must be a late-early model 47 :rolleyes::D

24. chris55

chris55

What ever you call it, it's a great looking ride.

25. phat rat

phat rat

From 41 thru 48 business cpes and 4 drs share the same door. They were different 40 and older. What difference does it really make whether it's called a business cpe or 5 window cpe or sedan cpe vs club cpe, long door vs short door? Most people don't know how to tell the difference anyway. Nice looking cpe, enjoy it.

26. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Thanks for all the great info guys. This indeed did start life as a 6 cyl car as evidenced by the vin and by the little "6" emblem in the hood ornament. It has the speedo and clock from 46 with the back lit red numerals and the horn button is red and gold and not just gold like most I have seen. The turn signals get more attention because the shifted to the round turn signals below the headlights in June of 47. This cars build date is listed as February of 1947 and sold in Anaheim in March of 1947. I have spoken to the family of the original purchaser and they verified the dates. The amazing part is the quality of the re-build. Really done well and thanks for all the positive comments.

27. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

ive always called them club coupes...or long door coupes. I actually prefer these to the "regular" coupes.

28. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

One thing I forgot and all you builders should remember, he did a photo a day for three years while building the car. One set for the frame/drive train and another for the body/interior. It is really amazing for he and I to go back through them together and exchange info on what he did and the process he followed. All you builders need to document your builds. I never did do that and I really regret it. Heck, I never even took pictures of some of the really interesting cars that I have owned and I really really regret that! While living in California in the service (I am retired Navy) I usually owned about 4-5 cars at a time and adding them up over a 4 year period, I had about 50 cars and some were really nice and some were rare by today's standards but not one single solitary picture of any of them!

29. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Ford Motor Company called them Sedan Coupes.
    They actually have the same seating ane headroom that the 2dor sedan had.
    Some 47 were configured with the 46 trim as Ford was famous for using existing inventory.
    I have seen a couple where the only modification was the decrowning of the roof. Looked good.
    This build has inspired me and I did some work on mine today.

30. scottpaul2

scottpaul2

WOW! a picture a day for the entire rebuild???? I know that is a fair number of pics, but it would sure be great to get those pics scanned and posted so they could be used by others doing their own rebuilds. Just thinkin