Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to Hot Rod building

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Mark Menge, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Mark Menge

Mark Menge

Hello,
    My name is Mark Menge & I am a new member. I am currently doing a '37 Olds coupe & cannot find any info on steering & front suspension for my car other than the 1 article by the crankshaft coalition. I would like to know if there is an O.E. rear steer rack & pinion that would work good for me & what all I would need to do for install or if the regular power steering box is better.. I am switching the king pin setup for the ball joint one & have a CPP disc brake conversion package. If you have a Chevy or Ford, you can buy stuff already made for your car but theres nothing for Olds, Buick, & Pontiac.

2. Rogue63

Rogue63
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

You will find that parts made for Chevy and Pontiac will likely fit your olds. Measure width of your frame compare to chevy. Along time ago I used to buy parts for my 35 Plymouth coupe and didn’t always fit was told it’s a hot rod make them fit. Found they were Ford, paid 2x the price because it was Plymouth. You will find Chevy is probably the same. Do your homework and you will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Mark Menge

Mark Menge

Thanks for the reply. I have found out that Chevy is totally different. They have straight flat frames & Olds, Buick, & Pontiac have curved humped frames.

Rogue63 likes this.
  4. Rogue63

Rogue63
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Check with Fatman Fabications in VA as he may have come across this before. It seems to my memory that some fellas used Dodge Omni rear steer r/p units on a home made support brackets for some upgrades. Just saying this may be an alternative????

6. Mark Menge

Mark Menge

Ok Thanks. I will look into that.