Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New to Flatheads.... Engine noise ? Normal?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eric Satterfield, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Oh yeah Eric,,,how were the mains,,,,okay ?

Tommy

2. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

A little scratched. But not as bad as the rods.

3. Good deal,,,,probably got that from the start up.
    If most people knew how many scratches and marks happen when the engine is first fired,,,,they would be surprised.
    Usually don’t hurt anything though .

Tommy

4. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thanks for looking at them.

Attached Files:

5. I think it looks great,,,should work fine .
    I like the chamfer on the oil holes as well.

Tommy

6. Ziggster

Ziggster

All good info. I can never remember how this thing distributes the oil. All the talk about filter, and no filter, and blocked passages gets my head spinning. It just goes to show that you really need a machinist/shop that truly understands these engines inside and out.
    I recall my machinist mentioned a plug at the rear of the block under the two gear cover. Is there a plug there, and is it flush with the mating surface for the cover? It is critical that it is not extending above the mating surface of the cover.

7. Ziggster,

Not on this one,,,it’s an 8BA .

You are right though,,,your block has a rear plug there .

Tommy

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

On an 8BA/8CM there is a plug under the cam cover up front. The plug allows you to clean out the oil passage tube. If that plug is not installed, oil pressure will be low if any at all. You can see this in this video I made.

9. Very good video,,,,,block looks great !

Tommy

10. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Indeed. Great video. I do have a plug behind the cam gear.

11. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I agree that in the pictures the crank looks good. They did a nice job chamfering the oil holes as well as the radius. I would recommend miking it and bore checking to confirm proper oil clearances or plastigauging at a minimum before it gets reassembled. Sorry if this was done already or already mentioned. I’ve also seen the plug or plugs up front not reinstalled or blow out because they were installed wrong. That’s when tapping and installing pipe plugs solves the problem.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Eric Satterfield likes this.
  12. Yes,,,,8BA, and 8CM,,,have a plug in front behind cam gear.
    And it is a pipe thread plug,,,but it has a screwdriver slot and is made from brass.
    Mine was a SOB to get out,,,I had to destroy it to remove it.
    Anyway,,,I replaced with a pipe plug with an Allen wrench/ hex wrench opening.

Tommy

Eric Satterfield and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  13. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thank you all again for your input....I had the crank polished and replaced the bearings...A good general cleanup on everything and replaced the fuel pump bushing and plugged it....Fired it up last evening...Oil pressure went from the initial (Before the rebuild) at idle 10lbs to nearly 50!...This is with Valvoline 20-50

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to be pedantic, but earlier you stated the oil pump was a "Ford M19". "M19" is a Melling number, not a Ford. "Ol' Ron" on "The Ford Barn" has had problems with Mellings oil pumps, and I had a low pressure problem with a "Speedway" brand pump. Almost everyone agrees that the best oil pumps for these cars are the original Ford units. The oil pump may need a second look. I know when I replaced the new "Speedway" pump on my engine with a known good used Ford pump. hot idle pressure went from 15 to 25 and at 2500 RPM, it went from 40 to 55.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Pedantic. LOL.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Tubman, what weight oil to you use? I use straight 40, but sometimes add a quart of 30 or two.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10-30 from the Dollar Store. The last time it was "Peak" (the antifreeze people) on closeout for 2.00 a quart.

18. Ziggster

Ziggster

Glad to see you got it all sorted out. That's a nice looking engine. Where did you get the stickers on the filter housing?

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Aaron's video is very informative on the subject, thanks for making & posting it Aaron. But please, don't strike 2 hammers together, that's a great way to get a shard of sharp, hardened metal flying off, it's very dangerous. Many guys have been injured, some severely by cut arteries, etc. I've even heard of one guy getting a small piece directly in the chest, into his heart, which was fatal. Use a drift which is made for this purpose, and keep the mushroomed end that develops cleaned up. I have a large selection of different drifts, different sizes & lengths and materials including aluminum & brass. Never 2 hammers.

Aaron D. likes this.
  20. Looks awesome Eric,,,great job !

Tommy

21. Oh yeah Denny,
    What in the world is Pedantic ?
    Lol

Tommy

22. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thank you. The filter stickers came from eBay. A search of vintage hot rod stickers/decals. Should find them.

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Tommy" - Overly scholarly; it's basically a negative term used when someone is trying to show off his superior knowledge. I use it here from time to time in a humorous manner when I don't want people to get too mired down in what I am saying, though I believe it still needs to be mentioned.

24. Lol,,,okay Denny,, I get it now.
    To be fair,,,,sometimes,,,a few get Pedantic here on some posts.
    That was a good one .

I always remember the old Wile E Coyote cartoon.
    Wile E Coyote (Genius ) ,,,Lol.

Tommy