Register now to get rid of these ads!

New the the HAMB, from SoCal

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by mmelendez jr, Mar 4, 2018.

1. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Whats up, gang! I'm new to the HAMB and have been bitten by the classic car bug. In 2011 I started helping my Dad restore his 1937 Chevy Master Deluxe. We finished nearly 2 years ago and I decided that I needed a classic of my own.

5-weeks ago I pulled ths trigger and bought a 1951 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton. I'm tearing her apart now and purchased a 235 engine for it. Foutunately I'm blessed with a talent for fabrication, welding, and sheetmetal work and the ability to learn from YouTube!

I look forward to talking with all of you on my journey.

2. ‘33chevNate

‘33chevNate

Welcome from SoCal :) do u have some pics of your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Here ya go: Day I bought it and this past weekend.

Attached Files:

‘33chevNate likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. The 235 should be a bolt in fit so get it in and going. that way you can drive it while you finish the rest. Good luck and keep us posted on how it is going. My avatar shows the 235 in my 46 coupe. Jimmie

5. Looks like a nice solid start - congrats! I also have 51 that I just got on the road last summer after working on it for about 5 years. Mine already had a later 235 (58-62 according to the casting numbers) in it when I purchased it, but I put on a short water pump, converted to alternator, and made a few other updates along the way.
    If you haven't already, you should join the A-D Truckers social Forum here on the HAMB https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/a-d-truckers.116/ There is lots of great information there and also folks who know these trucks inside & out.

Good luck with the build!
    Here is a link to my build thread in case you are interested. It documents some of my trials and tribulations over the last 5 years. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/51-chevy-3100-project.672888/

6. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Let see some shots of your project. Jump in...there’s a whole bunch of talent right here. Post your thoughts and questions and watch the Message Board come alive. One of most generous and caring groups on the Web. Learning and sharing idea’s is spoken here. Guidelines for forums are posted. Questions are welcome, so are you. IMG_0277.JPG IMG_3539.JPG

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

7. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Thanks, Mercman. Im headed to Pomona this weekend to drop some cash on needed parts. Truck is now completely disassembled and im ready to fuse some sheet metal.

8. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Blasted the frame last weekend and removed the rotted out floors. Anyone have issues with the floors not touching in the center? Ive got a gap. Floorpans are fron The Truck Shop in Orange.

Attached Files: