Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New stuff but no clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Guys – I bought a 6000 series release bearing for my Chevy 350 – T-5 combination, installed in my 1954 Kaiser Manhattan.

I watched the video on setting the clearance for the bearing and left an 1/8” space. It required me to use fender washers to set the bell housing back a little, but it looked good when I buttoned things up and lowered the engine/tranny into the car.

I also bled out and have a good, strong clutch pedal, using a new Wilwood hydraulic m/c I got from Jegs.

I start the engine in gear and it lurches, with the clutch to the floor. So I try from neutral and it grinds, with the clutch all the way down.

I’ve removed the washers from the bell housing, to close the gap between bearing and clutch plate tines, to no avail. Same problem. I’ve installed many clutches, and am careful to be sure things face the right way.

Help! Any advice would be appreciated! I want to drive my car. Thanks!

2. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Tilton (6000 series) release bearing, sorry.

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

These days, new parts doesn't necessarily mean they are good parts. Are you sure the throw out bearing has enough movement and pressure to release the pressure plate?
    It sounds like your not getting enough clutch plate departure to provide the clearance for the disc that you need. Gene

4. BJR

BJR

Is it possible that the trans input shaft is hanging up on the pilot bearing?