Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Speedy's 9 super 7 3 bolt Carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cball, Feb 27, 2009.

1. cball

cball

I just saw this new stromberg copy "speedy's 9 super 7" on Speedways website. It lists for 299.00. Anybody have any technical info(cfm's)? Has anyone used one?

2. banjorear

banjorear

Woah, I'm sure they aren't direct copies alas the name but they sure look nice.

I hope they aren't some cheap Chinese knock off and looks good at first, but quick declines in performance and quality when compaired to Clive's units.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

4. drfreeze

drfreeze

just got off the phone not too knowledgeable on the unit but was told it should be pretty close to orig CFM 155 or better and all 97 parts interchange with there new unit.

5. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

If it's from speedy it is more than likely a cheap chinese knockoff with no compensation to the vendor or individual who first marketed it through them.

B:mad:B

6. of course it is- that's how Speedway "rolls"

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I wasnt sure if it was in fact a product made else where (non US made)
    so I asked in an e-mail..
    wonder if they will get back to me or not?

does anyone know for sure where it is made?

9. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's your thing to buy a Chinese or Argentinian - just guessing here - carburetor from a millionaire in a stupid hat. Go for it. With no rear plugs in the base, I wonder how the top idle hole can be drilled at the correct angle. Not to mention no heat-sink effect with an aluminum base. Then there's the cheesy stamped chokekicker and throttle arm. I wonder who their warranty guy is and if he's hiring. First impression is, it's a Timex with a Rolex sales pitch. I'll know better after examination.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well i talked with customer service..and they couldnt tell me origin of manufacture..(or they didnt want to)
    but they did say it was imported...NUFF SAID!!

move along.....nothing to buy here:mad:

11. banjorear

banjorear

Well, becareful about a blanket statement like that. Clive's 97's are techincally imported (from the UK), but far superior to this product.

I wouldn't turn down an imported Ferrari, ya know what I mean.

In this case, it appears to be an imported POS. Boy am I glad guys like Uncle Max, Stromberg97, and Fox Valley are still around to help us guys get those old leaky piles of pot metal working like new again.

God Bless America!

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

True, but I think if they were proud of where it came from , they would have told me..

and I am still waiting on my e-mail reply I asked specifically to tell where it came from..and that I thought they should let their customers know , so there wouldnt be any surpises or disapointed customers.

seems that if it wasnt hard to swallow ..they would have spit it out allready

i dont want no stinkin Ferrari..:eek:..just messin with ya..but i am serious

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! This should be interesting. I'm sure someone will get paid to give them a good review (if they're not worthy).

I have to agree with the above statement about "imported" not always being from China. There are places where they could be made of good quality. I would suspect the sterotypical to be true, though. They suuuure look cheap to me.

Who knows! Maybe it's decent. Pretty risky move! Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

[​IMG]

14. banjorear

banjorear

Me too.... No harm, no foul. Seriously, let us know what they say.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i will

i give them till monday to reply..i figure it may not have gone thru their e-mail system yet, I will give them the benifit of the doubt.

16. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

They probably work as good as they look ( which isn't saying much) I know the UK ones ain't cheap but you get what you pay for & the quality is unreal ,they DO work AS GOOD as they look :)

17. last line of their discryption

Perfection is the result!

and i thought i was funny

18. lonewolf

lonewolf

I wonder if vintage speed is making them? they make all the allumium bases speedway sells. they make tops to, maybe they started making mid sections?

19. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

The Probably did the same shit to Charlie that they did to Tardel and The Hot Rod Works. Sent his stuff offshore to have a copy made and then started selling the cheap rip offs with not even a thank you to the originator.

20. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Not to throw more fuel on the fire but..... What about Patent rights??

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  21. Like Dick Van Patten?

22. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Trent, my grammers needs to be ponted outs moree. Love ya ! You just love that line don't ya ?!?!?! Call me....

23. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Gee I see this thing created quite a stir, Before I start, don't shoot the messenger and a note to scooter " this is not a paid plug".

I saw a sample of this item January, I have fiddled with it on the bench but have not exposed it to engine run conditions.

This is an off shore product. Not to beat this US vs import thing to death but Please tell me a source in the Good old "USA" where can you get anything done in a Rolex quality that you can produce in a limited run of pieces and sell in a ham and egg market?

Have some corners be cut on this part? Probably, but every product I have tried to make lately is a $250,000 plus investment for tooling here in the States. Because of the limited market , how can you justify the expense when the first consumers question is "how cheap is it going to be"? If you are making a million parts, Yes, some of this stuff can be made in the "US" because you can amortize the tooling cost into the quantity but for most cases this "Hot Rod" market isn't as big as its perception and sales of 500 to a 1000 pieces/yr is tremendous. This product made with US production would be out of the great majorities price range. Now instead of "bitching" about the quality you would be "crabbing" about how you were getting "boned" due to the high cost.. This is a new world and as the new guy says "times are changin".

In regard to design, its a silhouette part no different than a fiberglass Deuce 3w so whats the big deal. If you cant afford a real 3w you can purchase a fake one, still looks like one and does the same job, whats the difference with a carb? If you want the real one, buy a rebuilt unit, if you want a reproduction, purchase that one, if you aren't really overly concerned with period correctness this carb fits the program. This gives you a choice. I'd rather exercise a choice than a take it or leave it option or nothing at all.

As for product testing I am under the impression that this carb was tested at Gaerte Engines for evaluation here in the States and air flow, jetting and base line operation were evaluated there.

Yes it has an aluminum base, now this might be an advantage or disadvantage, only time will tell. I'd think that it might warm up faster and then dissipate heat faster than that the cast iron body but I haven't fooled with one on an engine yet.

Anyway I'm to have one on Friday 3/5/09, this is my input, so I guess I'll find out like everyone else.

24. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I don't think the Hot Rod Works stuff was patented but even if it were. How does a little shop with limited resoruces fight off a rich guy like speedy. They would get buried in legal expenses before it even got close to a courtroom. That's how the rich greedy folks are able to get away with screwing the little guy.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Speedy Bill strikes again. He usually buys a few pieces of a product from the origional producer and starts his sales. If the product proves a winner he has his in house people duplicate if and the origional guy is out. Like has been said most of this stuff is such low volumn it's ineffective for the first guy to try and get legal restitution as it wasn't patented in the first place. I worked for a company that he has copied a few things from and you just lick your wounds and go on. Ask Vern Tardel how lowly a part he is willing to copy and save a few pennies on. Now, something of the order of a carburetor he has to go overseas to have built as the cost here would be prohibitive. So, some country that is determined to dominate us is getting to use some of our own money in it's quest. NEAT, HUH?

Frank

26. Ole don

Ole don

China, Korea, Japan and other do not recognize patent rights of other countries. If it wasn't designed in their country, it has no rights. I think each of those countries has the abiliy to manufacture quality products. Its the American rip off artists who want to sell inferior products and make a quick buck giving them a bad name. If they are asked to make crap, crap is what the end consumer gets.

27. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

. . . Any more opinions on this?

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! You have NO faith in me, do you?? ;):D

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

BTW..I think my e-mail to speedway about the origin of these was ignored..
    wonder why?
    they had the end of the day friday, they work saturday right? and they had all day today to just type in

" Mr. Von Rigg Fink, they are made in C*^@"

but Noooooooo..so guess what?..im thinking they dont want you to know until your pissed you spent $897 bucks that includes tax for 3 of these paperweights.:mad:

but i guess i will still keep with my 3 --2Gs

really though..I'll keep an open mind..anyone running these and completely satisfied?

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's like any carb new to me...I wanna take one apart and see what is in there!
    But still...how can you trust a carb that hasn't been roadtested for 70 years or so to see if it works OK??

My take on repro stuff: If it is functionally good it is an asset to the hobby.
    If it is bad, and cheaper than the good part, it will still sell well, but it will have the nasty effect of eating most of the market and either killing off the better part or preventing the successful marketing of a better piece.
    The Model A and V8 repro market has a lot of good stuff that allows life to go on, and a lot of bad stuff that continues to sell. Some of the bad stuff has practically created the belief that Model A's must have electronic ignition, halogen lights, disc brakes, and alternators to be driveable.