Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. greaser

greaser

You are very blessed. Max is the whole video!
    Great job with the pickup...... Love it!

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The videos are killer. We need some side shot pics of the stance!

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's a few from the road last night... I'll get better ones today and or on the Run tomorrow.

Here it is at the Gas-n-Sip:
    [​IMG]

And then a few from our little tip out Dry Creek Road....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Motoring....

:)

4. So bad ass!!!!

5. 1959apache

1959apache

Nice Robert! I am getting close to getting mine on the road and then I will be doing a road trip with that truck out west to see family, I may stop by and we can have a little cruise or race, whichever you prefer lol.

That truck sure is a beauty though , you've done a great job on it. Can you give us a full shot of the inside, the bed floor, and the full engine compartment? I know I'd like to see.

6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Me too.

Nice detail work on the motor. Great idea painting the ballancer & water pump cast iron grey. It really sets off the red :cool:

That 1st video really brings back memories riding in my '59 when I was a kid & it was my dad's hotrod.

What's the specs on that cam? sounds good.

Can't wait to get mine going...

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  7. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Ditto on what Greaser said.:cool: Daddy's awesome.:D

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The pics look great! I dig the last one the most.

9. kraka138

kraka138

those wheels fit your truck so nicely

10. Nice look all the way around! Sounds good, appears to run pretty nice (judging from your videos!), and in just TWO months, start to first drive.

The paint rubbed out too nice to redo. That adds to the character of the Chevy in a big way!

11. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Man that thing looks nice!!!! I wish I could have made the run to hollister!I really want to see it in person.Have fun on the road!!!!!

13. Looks Awesome! Slap That Hood On There! LoL

14. Andy B

Andy B

Great lookin` truck!

I need whitewalls now!!!!!!

15. adams27

adams27

Nice rig. Love the vids too.

16. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Nice truck. Wish I had that tailgate.

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Damn thats cool - you gotta post a squared up side shot!

Cool video, too!!

- Joe

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Guys,

Well I'm home and in one piece!!! What a bitchin weekend! I was nervous as a fuck'n cat the whole time but enjoyed myself immensely..... There were a few issues that needed attention but after a hour or so in the Kragen Parking lot I pretty much got it running good. I did NOT remove the tank from the truck and wash it out, which was a bad choice... However I did put a fuel filter in place as most of you saw several pages back that should have stopped the world from getting thru the system. So I thought..... But either it didn't do it's job or somehow there was a build up of shit waiting for me in another part? Like maybe some random shit in the new fuel pump, or random shit in the new carb??? I don't know... But what I do know is the floats kept sticking open and fuel was going everywhere... Into the motor and onto the intake etc... No Bueno.

This didn't happen on the first drive Friday night so the gas must have had a chance during the night to do it's thing and break up what ever this shit was. So it was waiting for me on Saturday. Well I worked my ass off all day Saturday right up until it was time to head out so I never did drive it again until I was on the way to Hollister. Everything seemed OK until I got to Petaluma or so... Then I noticed a touch of a flat spot and or hesitation that seemed odd. I pulled over in Novato to have a look around and feel the tires for heat etc etc but didn't really notice anything odd. Next stop was San Leandro to top off the tank and check milage. "19 MPG BTW....." At that point I pulled back out into the street and the thing died at the light. I quickly popped the hood and pulled the air cleaner as I was smelling more fuel than I thought I should. Sure-nuff the carb was dripping a little from the back bowl area and there was drops of fuel coming out of the rear venturi's. So obviously the float bowls are too full. Well now I'm in a shit position because I'm too far into the trip for a turn around but I'm also 2 hours away from my destination.... GO FOR IT.....So I headed out and crossed my fingers. Made it to the Hotel around 9:45 and cold beer was waiting for me. Decided I'll deal with the shit in the AM.

Here's the scene around this super cool vintage Motel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So In the morning I yanked the bowls off and found all kinds of little nasty crap in there including a perfect little film type material sitting right on top of the primary needle. Hmmm..... Well I cleaned out everything and buttoned it back up. It started and seemed to run just fine so we cruised over to Romero's Bitchin Shop and readied ourselves for the run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got about halfway thru the cruise and knew I was in deep shit. Here's a shot from early on in the run:

[​IMG]

The thing kept wanting to die on me and I could smell fuel something fierce! We got to a place where it was quite easy to head back into town so Sean and his wife cruised with me quickly to make sure I got there safely. Awesome! Thank you so much!!! And they told me of the nearest Kragen. OK, I can fix this thing for good now.... I make my way into the Kragen store and line up my $30.00 worth of gaskets, new fuel filter, hose clamps, etc. etc.... 1.5 hrs later I have completely rebuilt the carb in the parking lot and I'm back on the road! Now were running great! Made my way back to the 19th hole and had just about the best chicken Sandwich I guy could ever have..... Oh and A cold beer... ;)

After that it was back to the Hotel for some BBQ and good times..... It was great hanging out with folks and relaxing after a very stressful day of driving and wrenching.

Here we are Pool Side:

[​IMG]

The next morning it was Breakfast and then hit the road home. We stopped for fuel in Gilroy and I was still smelling some fuel so I popped the hood for a quick look. Yep, that $13 Mr. Gasket piece of shit was leaking and I tried like hell to tighten it up.... No Good.... Into WalMart for a $3.10 Fram unit and we were on the way. Now Haul'n ass and making good time. Bill, Dave and myself headed up the peninsula over some smooth HWY and made good time. Bill peeled off in SR and I moseyed on home to Healdsburg. Hit the BBQ at the neighbors and drank entirely too much wine! :)

Here's Bill about to peel off to Calistoga.

[​IMG]

So there you have it... Maiden Trip of 300 plus miles, wrench'n, drink'n, and hang'n out with killer folks.....

Thanks to all of you that have followed this thread over the past 2 months... I'm so happy to have shared my work with you all and I have gained a bunch of knowledge from your responses and notes here and there.... I have a little thing that I want to share with you all about this project that I haven't posted yet. I did buy this truck to become my daily driver as I originally stated but I also hope to rebuild this again with Max when the time comes in 10 to 12 years.... I'll need to find something else to drive then but that won't be a problem... However I wanted to make sure there was a little thing to let him know he had been here once before.... So Mom, Dad, and My little Dude tag'ed this thing in a hidden little place that we will all forget about until the bed comes back off. I can't wait to see his reaction then when he see's his bitchin little hand print and I tell him this isn't the first time he's done this... ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Again,

Proud Dad.... AKA, Robert M.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  19. DanIam

DanIam

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah Baby!!! I love the choppy little idle on this thing....

The Engine is as follows:

350 4-Bolt Block from an '88 Truck. Block has been completely polished inside and out for better looks and improved oil drain back inside. Decked, bored and honed 0.030" with torque plates. Line bore checked biut was OK.
    SCAT Cast crank that has been knife edged and polished.
    SCAT 6.00" I-Beam rods with ARP Cap Screws, Full Float Pins
    KB Flat Top Pistons, 9:1 Comp
    Balanced
    Comp Cams High Energy 268 Cam
    Crower "Cam Saver" Lifters
    Stock Chevy heads with 1.94 intakes and 72cc Chambers.
    All springs locks and retainers are CompCams and matched to the 268 Cam.
    Summit Brand 1.5 ratio Full Roller Rockers
    Edelbrock Performer intake, soon to be a vintage CB4.
    Holley 600 CFM Vac secondary Carb.
    Pertronix Billet Distributor
    Pertronix Coil
    Bosch Platinum #85 plugs.

Here's one from this morning.... I was going to take one at the hotel after the run but I just sat there with a beer in my hand and kinda checked out.....

But this should work....

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Robert M.

21. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Killer stance... just perfect man...
    And those handprints are a great idea.

I dig the kangaroo hood ornament, too.

- Joe

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  22. Big Nick

Big Nick

Well done! Perfect stance.

23. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Nicely done. I love the hand print idea!

24. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Coool. Too bad you had fuel troubles. If the tank is so-so, I think Brother sells a std replacement. BTW, I have the same cam in my '71 350 Vette & love it. If that carb continues to act up, you might want to try a Q-Jet. I actually rebuilt my Vette's original carb from instructions I downloaded from the web. It's been running good for 7 years now. If you want to go this route, let me know. I have a ton of rebuilding & tuning data, as well as factory manuals...

Get yourself a small halon or halotron fire bottle to hang in your pickup. They are red, so it will match nicely

Cute touch with the handprints

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Just went out for lunch and noticed the trans starting to act peculiar at every stop light...... Hmmm..... Like coming out of gear and not wanting to go into gear and making lovely grinding sounds in both 2nd and 3rd.... Looks like the truck gets a Muncie 4-SPD tonight..... Shit. Well I'm glad I have one lying around! It's super frustrating cuz that damn trans looked perfect when I gave it the one eye last month. Something is starting to take a major shit in there however and I'm gonna head home here soon before I get stranded.

Ugh.....

26. Toner283

Toner283

Those hand prints are one of the coolest parts of this build.

The truck looks good too!

27. All I can say is CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done, you set a goal, made it and have some good stories and pics to show from the run!!!!! Been following the thread almost since day one and you have done an incredible job on this truck!! And the hand prints are the coolest touch ever!! Nice job! Hope you keep posting as you get it fine tuned and all the bugs worked out.....

28. Man your truck was one of my favorites on the run, it sucked to see you by the side of the road but as we passed by there were already a couple of cars stopped to help. Can't wait to see it out on the road again and it is COOL as hell in person!

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The side shot is great! You'll get the bugs ironed out, no worries!

30. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Well I busted ass last night and slammed in a new Saginaw 4-SPD... After painting it all pretty of course... ;)

Great! Drives so nice now with that! Even the clutch chatter is basically gone due to the shafts not jumping around inside the trans. The old unit will go into the dumpster tomorrow.

I'm still dicking around with the cooling however. She's running a touch hotter than I would like so I need to mess around with the thermostat and what not.

More to come as I iron shit out....

~Robert M.