Register now to get rid of these ads!

new shock concept ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaxx, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jaxx

jaxx

Has anyone ever tried or seen this tried for front shock mounting - horazontaly behind the radiator. this is a drawing of the right side of the frame - will this work?

2. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

IT's basically a cantilever suspension. Ususally on the front it's called a push or pull rod style. Yes it will work but I would look into the shock manufacturer about what angle to mount them so they don't overheat. Afco makes a shock that can be mounted flat.
    Look here for inspiration http://www.hotroddynamics.com/Model A Gallery.htm

3. The basic principle will work, you just need gas filled shocks.

I ran them horizontal, front to rear, in the mid 80's. No problem.
    Later I find out a friend of mine did it in the early 70's.

4. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Yes, it should work, but you better make sure you work out the geometry correct or it wont work out well.

Make sure that the bellcrank mechanism attachment at the shock rod is near twelve o'clock (top of its rotation) at ride height. This way it gets maximum shock displacement in either jounce or rebound as your suspension articulates.

Also, make sure you have enough clearance between your shock body and the frame, as the shock will have some vertical movement to it as it moves with the bellcrank.

Also, make sure you have enough room to mount the other shock on the other side in the same manner. (sorry - I guess that's obvious).

Its an interesting concept. Just not exactly sure what the advantage would be on a street car - other than its different. Similar to formula race cars that like to keep the shocks inboard of body work to reduce aerodynamic drag and also to reduce unsprung weight. But if you are going to use an I beam axle and a leaf spring, I am not sure saving in unsprung weight is a major priority.

Mike

5. I actually owned a car that had horizontal shockers from the factory, operated with a bellcrank similar to your sketch.
    The shocks will be a bit to a lot stiffer than 'ordinary' shocks, and will possibly have an 'up' and 'down' to them, the last set of Lipmesas (brand) I put on did.
    The advantage, on this car in particular, and on most in general, is to keep the centre of gravity low, in this case making the car nigh on impossible to roll over, even though it did not have an anti-roll bar.
    It also allows for more license in body design, as no suspension component rises above the level of the frame top rail.
    You may also be inspired to look at Harley-Davidson Softail and certain Buell motorcycles, as they use coil-overs in both push and pull setups (meaning push or pull for compression).
    Cosmo