Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New set back on my Rivi build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BinderRod, Dec 6, 2009.

1. BinderRod

BinderRod

Got the motor pulled on my 65 GranSport yester day. I was doing the happy dance and then it happened. I looked behind the starter and there it was, a crack in the block. Now the scramble is on to find a 425 block. I guess that is all part of hot rodding you take the bad with the good. Keith

2. 24riverview

24riverview

Not sure how far you'd want to travel-
    <TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=classieAdTitle align=left colSpan=3>Buick 425 nailhead engine </TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=classieAdBody colSpan=3>Running when came out of car ten years ago. Should be gone through. Comes with matching turbo 400 trans. $500.00 563-380-0678 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Phone number comes up as Decorah, Iowa.

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

I have a buddy that lives in Waterloo. I will call him on Monday and see if he can help me out with a halfway

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Cracked 425 block... my heart goes out to ya mang. Good luck and congrats on having (quite possibly) the coolest car EVER!!! Love a 65 Rivi!!! The GS part of the equation just makes me even more jealous.

5. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

6. mj40's

mj40's

I have a 63 Rivera 401 motor that I plan on using. It looks like it will run and in pretty good shape. Are there certain places I should be looking for cracks? It had one bent pushrod and a pin worked loose on the oil pump and nicked the crank. Had a little moisture in #1 cylinder. I pulled the heads and cleaned up all cylinders ok but the exhaust valve was stuck in #1. I soaked and worked that loose and seems ok now. I figure with a new oil pump and timing chain replacement and it should be good.

7. V7

V7

Just a thought...sometimes a cracked block isn't the end of the world .Most larger cities have places that repair cracked blocks . One way that it is done is to use a series of interlocking threaded in inserts....kinda like screwed in plugs. The engine does not need to be completely dismantled to do this . This is a fairly common repair for large trucks and tractors.Do a search.."Google is my friend" .Good luck.
    Steve (V7)

8. BinderRod

BinderRod

The crack in the block is about 7" long and is just below the drain petcock. My advice to anyone that has an old engine they are planning to use is make sure it is completly dry or dump some anti freeze in it.
    I realy noticed it when the engine was on the hoist and water was dripping out of the crack.

9. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

10. jb weld and forget it
    tk