Register now to get rid of these ads!

New rule

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Actually, it's an old rule. What? Rules?! Anyway, maybe not a RULE, but just accepted when hot rod guys talk about any given car and they throw out JUST the year of said car, it's a FORD.
    FORD!
    If you are talking about any other make of a car then clarify "My '36 CHEVY" or International or Plymouth or whatever.

That is all....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Good luck with that. No matter what makes the most sense, and no matter what you try to pursued them to do, people tend to do and think as they please.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Actually all rodders these days seem to just throw out the year of their car without the make as if they were on a "Fill in the Blank"-only forum covering just their make of vehicle, car or truck.
    In earlier times Ford owners tended to say year only since they didn't think anything else could be a hotrod. The others always said the year AND make of their non-Ford vehicles.
    Guys who were into car AND parts almost always referred to cars by groups, 28-29, 30-31, 33-34, 35-36, 37-39 Std., 39 DLx-40, 42-48 etc.

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That's the reason for my slightly tongue in cheek post. I just read, yet another, thread that was asking about a certain year range of pickups only to get to the end of the first page and the original poster says, "oh, it's a Chevy". Apparently everyone else that responded to the thread thinks like I do and assumed it was a Ford.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I tend to agree, within certain, traditionally-accepted parameters. Old Fords (which TRADITIONAL hot rods in America were USUALLY based-on) from Model A's and '32 to '40 have always been referred to as simply...my '40, or my '37. Most of us also recognize that outside of those parameter (understood) FORD years, that there are OTHER makes that command attention when referred-to by year only, such as "my '55", or "my '57"...CHEVY always comes to mind.

Interestingly, there's a current thread titled something like "MY '40 COUPE". I keep clicking on it for updates, forgetting that the subject coupe is actually a '40 Chevy with fender skirts, which I personally don't have the interest in that I would have in a like-year Ford. DD

6. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

I had just figured that so many hotrods were such a mix of parts that useing "34 sedan" gave a rather good initial discription.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Ah - a new drama thread - just what we need....:rolleyes:

8. That is until 1955... then it's Chevy.

And then this rule is fron '55 up and to '62 or so... maybe '64.

Then the names come in... and the years go away.

Sam

9. weez

weez

Makes sense. I always wondered about the order of the description, like "blue '36 Ford Convertible." Sometimes I read, (usually from non-car folks) " '36 blue convertible Ford" sounds retarded to me...

I think if you're including all the info, the color comes first, then year, then make, then body style, no?

And for Chrissakes the apostrophe comes before the year. It's not an accent, haha!

Okay, back to more important things like eating lunch...

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I've got a straight 6.. What gasket set do I need? ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Now, let's settle the "shoebox controversy."

12. Hey Keith... what are you having for lunch?

I just put some tortillas around some cheese and threw it in the microwave for one minute.

Had Tapatio Doritos as a side... and a Diet Pepsi.

Mmmmmmmmm...

Sam

13. The only place I can find "Shoebox" in print is on the Jackson Bros. video I have... "Shoebox Dreams"... which is allllllllllllll Chevy.

So, guess that settles THAT!

:D

Haha!

Sam

14. Rule 2. Wheels are not "rims"
    Yeah, like that's gonna happen:rolleyes:

15. Good news, Sam, I found another reference from 1961...

[​IMG]

16. RULES ? We don't need no stinking rules... We have moderators and administrators to keep us in check.........And a fine job they do.

17. Model T1

Model T1

WHAT ? Ryan never mentioned there'd be rules here? That's like instructions when buying something. Real men don't need no stinking directions---or rules! But actually we do need rules. How else we gonna break them if there ain't any.:)?
    Jeem, you musta read some of the latest posts I read and I got rather stupid with my answer about "what 1940 car?" Many people think every old car is a Model A or 32 Ford. And every newer car is a 55 or 57 Chevy. 56's don't usually count.
    I'm sure after you posted this thread those members with __________?cars will tell us, along with the year and other important stuff. After all, it's almost like Otto Zon or Discontinued Outta Parts, we need to know how many doors and what color it is to tell ya what dipstick to order!;)

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think of Fords, mostly Pre 1941's, but mention '54 and I think Chevrolet. Bob

19. Model T1

Model T1

Yea Kid, but we don't all think alike. I'll bet you don't know what I'm thinking right now!:)

Okay, it's got to do with sex. That's all I think about! But you don't know what kind of 1948 car I'm thinking she's in. :D
    Really, members do need to add some info when they talk about their cars.

I think your 1937 Pontiac is cool.

20. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Great post, now if you'll excuse me I need to go wrench on my 53.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ahhhh CRAP!

22. bonesy

bonesy

I thought the exact same thing.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

My 37 was a Harley Davidson, a twin to the one my Dad bought new. :D Bob

24. You're excused. Just don't get caught working on a 64 and a half.

25. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I agree, except after '64 it's easier to just lump them all together as "just late models" :)

And a Deuce is a '32 Ford, never a Chevy, Plymouth or Nova.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. And i thought the only circus left in town was run by the "SHRINERS"!:eek::rolleyes:

27. Fenders

Fenders

Huh, damn, I just did that on another thread without knowing the rule...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734747

post 14......

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Shoebox is a early 50s Ford, Deuce Coupe is a 32, and Tri-5 is 55,56, and 57 Chevy cars (Chevy trucks not included). That's the Gospel.

29. Sam is correct. If we accept his amendment and pass the motion, the issue is settled.

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

YUP!!

Frank