Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New ride, '55 Studebaker Commander

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bearcat_V8, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I thought I would share my latest acquisition with y'all. This past fall, a friend of mine informed me that he had brought home the 1955 Studebaker Commander Sedan shown below. It had been sitting in a garage in Indiana for the last forty years. He had inquired about the car some time ago. When the previous owner’s estate was finally settled, they gave him a call. He hauled it home and got it running. He then called me to see if I was interested in purchasing the it, since he had recently sold me all his best `55 Stude parts. He offered it to me for what he had into it, knowing it would go to a good home. I got the car for a price that I am sure any of us could afford. Even a high school kid wanting something cool to drive could have likely bought this ride.

I got it to my place and commenced to doing all those things a car sitting forty or more years needs.

Battery and cables.

Brakes: new master cylinder and wheel cylinders, new flexi hoses and all new Nicopp hard lines. The drums and shoes looked good so I left them for now. I re-packed the front wheel bearings while I had the drums off.

Ignition: new coil, sparkplugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condenser. I also cleaned up all the electrical terminals to the coil and distributor.

Cooling: Repair radiator (A & B Radiator of Ann Arbor), new formed rad hoses and all new heater hose (a Stude needs about 20’ of heater hose

Fuel: new fuel lines, filter & pump.

Tires & wheels: new Kumho radials (205/75R15) on 15x5 Wheel Vintiques. (I already had these, they were purchased for another car, otherwise I would have scouted around for a good set of used tires and had them mounted to the stock `55 wheels.)

Exhaust: new duals from Ann Arbor Muffler. I had mufflers and tailpipes, they did the head pipes and hangers.

Thus far, I am still sorting fuel related issues. I have been only able to drive the car ten or so miles before it starves for fuel and dies. It is constantly sucking up crap from the bottom of the tank, and plugging the fuel line. I have removed the fuel tank and sent it out to American Metal Cleaning in Toledo, OH for cleaning. I am currently stalled on this project due to Michigan weather. I am waiting until spring to shake this thing out.

P1030196g.jpg P1030197.JPG P1030198h.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I found a couple more pics

comm2.jpg comm1.jpg comm4.jpg

40LUV, Squablow, RMR&C and 4 others like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - sounds like you are doing it right - replace entire fuel line while at it

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bearcat_V8 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. nice....does it have the 1/4 20 clean out plug in the corner of the tank.....sure would make cleaning out a little easier..

Bearcat_V8 likes this.

5. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

@stillrunners, the tank does have a plug in the bottom. It wouldn't budge. The last nice day we had last fall, I finally broke down and dropped the tank. It was rusty and scaly inside. I sent it out for cleaning and just got it back last week. It is perfectly clean inside. Usually takes 5-7 days. Now the entire fuel system is new up to the carburetor. I am waiting for a break in our Michigan weather to re-install the tank and drive this thing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I like it!

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  7. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Wow, what do ya know, I found some more pics of this old heap. I found them on my work computer no less! P1030202.JPG P1030201.JPG P1030200.JPG P1030199.JPG

302GMC likes this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice looking and solid too.. Looks like you have another in the background.. Studebakers are cool...

Bearcat_V8 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Yes, it really is solid. The only real rust in the whole car is what you see in the front fenders. Typical for a Stude. This one is Stude number four for me. The plan for this one is to put a "for sale" sign in the window while I drive the snot of it this summer.
    The one you see in the background is my Champion. It is also quite solid. I bought it thinking I could get it on the road without too much trouble. I took the head off the motor and discovered that it had broken piston rings. I have another motor for it now and all I have to do is put it back together. However, every time I start on it I question my sanity for putting time/effort and good parts on a car that will never worth anything. I like the Champion the best of all the sedans I have because it is devoid of trim.
    I also have a '55 President sedan I purchased for parts. It is the most solid of all the Studes I own. I have not had the heart to strip the thing down for parts because it is a complete, solid car. Someday if I don't get it together, it may give up it's floors for a better project, like a wagon, if I ever find one.
    Finally, I have a '55 Commander coupe. This is the only one really means anything to me. It is currently in a bzillion pieces. I am finally done collecting parts for it and I have vowed I will get back on it this summer. I keep telling myself, if I had put all of the work I put into these sedans, into my Coupe, the thing would be on the road by now!
    Picture of my coupe below.
    P1010265.jpg

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Get busy on the coupe.. Very cool...

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Love those Studebakers.My first car was a 1953 Champion.6 cylinder flat head.170ci and a rompin 69 hp:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Bearcat_V8 likes this.