Register now to get rid of these ads!

new ride = 289 sbf/c4 questions (novella-length, beware)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzbum, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jazzbum

jazzbum

Just picked up the new parts-fetcher, 1965 falcon deluxe ranchero. 45K documented miles, original challenger 289 2V and dual-range C4 autobox, zero rust, orig paint (pics to come). Original owner gave it to his upholsterer buddy who sold it to me. She's a beaut, and the best part is, we traded my girl's p.o.s. vw golf for her, straight across. Bonus:D

Now that we got the gloat out...

Still have to do some more shakedown/tuneup stuff (tranny came WAY overfilled, foamy fluid, haven't flushed the cooling system, which needs it bad, needs a thermostat I'm sure, etcetera) but I took it out on the highway yesterday following an oil change, some wiring and a new rad cap and coolant, and it started to chug/lurch past 50 mph. Five minutes at that speed, she started to overheat as well, in fact the gauge started moving up and down abnormally (which makes me suspect the cooling system is clogged). Up to/under about 50, acceleration is smooth and predictable, and the plugs are clean and the car starts on one crank, so I don't think it's ignition. The car cools perfectly during street driving, though, which I wouldn't think would be the case if the system is plugged.

Other thoughts I had on the lurch were:

-tranny--again, overfilled and probably needs a filter and such. hopefully doesn't need bands and clutches, (don't think it does, shifts fine through third). Could there be some unexpected turbulence while holding in third at highway speeds?

-sticky valvetrain component, which I doubt, but it's possible

Also, when I got it home after the highway experiment and got into the carb, which clearly needed linkage adjustments. When I flexed the accelerator pump, i could see gas squirting into the passenger-side venturi, but not the driver's-side. Carb is the stock autolite 2100 2 barrel. Is this normal? Is one barrel like a secondary (doesn't sound right to me), or do I need to rebuild the carb? don't have much experience with 2V carbs, so input on that is appreciated. Might this be the cause of the lurch?

So, what are your expert opinions? Carb? Cooling? Trans? Valvetrain? Something else? Let's hear from the windsor guys.

2. vertible59

vertible59

The carb should squirt on both sides. Those are pretty simple to overhaul, just make sure to disassemble it completely and soak in a good carb cleaner at least overnight. That usually gets all the gunk out, prior to overhaul. Anyhow, I think you found your roadspeed performance problem.
    I think you said the Ranchero didn't have a thermostat. This could cause the hi-speed heating problem. A good cooling system service and a new thermostat and you should be in good shape. Running without a thermostat will, in many cases, let the coolant pass through the system too quickly to let the radiator do its job.

3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I'd check the lower radiator hose as well. Make sure it has the internal spring in it. I've heard of cars that were missing this spring and the dang hose would suck itself shut at high engine speeds on the freeway and look perfectly normal at idle or putting around town.

4. jazzbum

jazzbum

thanks vertible, haven't cracked the water neck off yet, but i'm sure the thermostat needs replacing even there is one, so that'll get done pdq. guess i'll rebuild the carb while i'm at it as well.

junk, that's a good call, had that problem on a 440 wedge. don't know why it didn't occur to me.

as far as flushing the jackets out, anybody got recommendations on a good radiator flush/rust inhibitor? i've always just used the napa store-type stuff with favorable results, but i'd like to blast this sucker out good.

5. Junior Samples

Junior Samples
    from Phx. az.

Hey you might want to check your timing.If its a bit to advanced it could cause it to heat up at higher R.P.M.s.