Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Repo 1932/37 Ignition Switch Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McFly, Jan 30, 2009.

1. McFly

McFly

So I was watching/gonna bid on this when it was $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110342902516

Then it got out of hand...

So I found this, just an FYI. I was told that these did not exist. It's kinda funny...you can't even see this part when it's installed. Some people are hard core when it comes to NOS. Maybe someone else is looking for one of these...just passing the info along.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380097741448

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Some of the repros are very dodgy quality and cause heat buildup sufficient to ruin them...high bidders likely are people who got the bad repros and had to walk home.
    I think C&G and Carpenter, most likely Spadaro too, have originals, pricey bu not that pricey.
    Most used ones can be cleaned up. The repros I have look like they were cast from something in a mold made from an original...one of the supplier logos still shows in a fuzzy sort of way.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yep As always Bruce is right. The repos are junky and cause heat build up. I installed three new ones and finally took care of the problem after installing a NOS one. That price is rediculous! 124.00 for a piece of plastic.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I just sand a little bit on the contact side and polish the contacts on the originals. Usually the grooves are fairly deep; I generally don't fully sand them away, just reduce them a bit, and bend in a bit more tension on the moving piece. Even the late ones like '47-8 that come in a cannister can be easily opened up for repair.I think the above sources can come through too...got some original bits from CG, bought all the '32 types the NOS guy from Carpenter brought to Hershey every year back when I could go. I FEAR repro electrical parts.